The New Retail Thread

600 Washington is the former RKO Boston theatre building. I wonder if any of this store occupies the former theatre space.

From the Herald

The BID hopes to implement a smaller, transition pushcart program beginning this spring that includes fewer carts as construction in the district stands to eliminate currently available locations. Current vendors will be required to reapply for available spaces.

“There’s no guarantee that they necessarily will get a spot, and there’s no guarantee that they will get the same spot, because we’re looking at new locations throughout the district,” said Rosemarie Sansone, president of the BID, which manages the 26 pushcart vendors who stretch from the old State House to Washington and Temple streets. “For 2013, we expect the best vendors with the most unique, popular merchandise will participate in the transition program. The vendors have always been a staple of the Downtown Crossing area, and at the moment, we’re looking at updating the carts and the merchandise as the area is being revived with city and private investment.”

http://bostonherald.com/business/bu...sing_pushcart_vendors_must_go_by_end_of_march

The truth sounds a whole lot better. ^

Sounds like they're using a convenient opportunity to basically tell those low-end stands with troublesome owners to get out. In the end, I imagine great improvement.

Also, nobody is noticing that the Burham Building is going under construction? No trumpeting? This must mean they have a tenant, and once they're in, we're getting our new tower?

As of 8:20AM, on the day after both the BRA and Herald have stories to the contrary, the Globe is still saying the program is being shut down.

The truth sounds a whole lot better. ^

Sounds like they're using a convenient opportunity to basically tell those low-end stands with troublesome owners to get out. In the end, I imagine great improvement.

Also, nobody is noticing that the Burham Building is going under construction? No trumpeting? This must mean they have a tenant, and once they're in, we're getting our new tower?

I almost never get to dtx, what kind of problem carts do they have?

They compete with members of the BID, so they will be reduced in number and probably see their fees increased to the point where many of them will choose not to come back.

And oh yeah, we should always trust the BRA, would they lie to you? The Globe article said the same thing right at the top of the article, it's just an attempt to spin away the fact that the current pushcarts will be told to go away.

"Rosemarie Sansone, president of the Downtown Boston Business Improvement District, a group of property owners in the area, said consultants are working on plans to launch a smaller and better pushcart program next year. Meantime, the current crop of merchants -- who sell fruits and vegetables, hats, handbags, and other goods -- have until the end of this month to push their carts some place else.

Sansone said the association expects to offer new and existing businesses will be able to apply to participate in an interim pushcart program later this spring so the district can experiment with different product mixes and locations.

“Vendors have always been a staple of the Downtown Crossing area for many years, but many of the carts and merchandise needs to be upgraded as the area is revived,” she said. That revival includes a gleaming tower that will rise from the former Filene’s department store site and be one of the city’s tallest buildings."

Pushcart gentrification. "Thanks for sticking around in the hard times now get lost". Shabby treatment if true. Next the homeless will be invited to leave.

Why can't the pushcart program just be expanded to other areas of the city where they would be more than welcomed? 2-4 licences for Copley, maybe 8 or so for the common, and a few in Kenmore would be a great start. I do try to steer clear of NYC comparisons except in the instances where it favors us, but I really REALLY hate the fact that i can't just buy a damned hot dog, pretzel, falafel or gyro on a street corner when I'm hungry. Half the time I'm downtown I wait until I'm home to eat because I dont have time to wait for service and then not be able to eat it on the go. Corner vendors have been part of urban life pretty much everywhere for centuries, I would argue the lack of them is a part of what makes Boston seem so sterile during the day (complimented nicely by the lack of EVERYTHING at night).

This is complete bullshit. They're forcing long-term businesses to reapply for the right to exist so they can get rid of them.

Instead of saying "Here, stay away from these spots while construction is underway" they're using it as a wedge issue to destroy the livelihoods of those working all day, nearly every day in all kinds of weather.

Why can't the pushcart program just be expanded to other areas of the city where they would be more than welcomed? 2-4 licences for Copley, maybe 8 or so for the common, and a few in Kenmore would be a great start. I do try to steer clear of NYC comparisons except in the instances where it favors us, but I really REALLY hate the fact that i can't just buy a damned hot dog, pretzel, falafel or gyro on a street corner when I'm hungry.

Or put some more near the universities, where more food options is always helpful. I don't understand why, for example, Boston has so few food truck options near Northeastern and other Fenway colleges. Though they seem to be doing a better job at BU.

Why push them off to a university? Why cant they stay somewhere in the vicinity of DTC? There are often lines at some of the food stands, unless the weather is really bad. My office is on the block across from the Filenes building, Im down there every day. The carts provide a service. I cant think of any that should go or that are somehow problematic.

Does the DTX BID have governance over the street carts? If so, why? Seems like a clear conflict of interest. The carts are in competition with the shopfronts. Of course the shopfront owners will want to limit or eliminate them.

Today Menino blasted the BID for their attempt to reduce the pushcart program.

http://www.universalhub.com/2013/pushcart-war-mayor-backs-little-guys

The Boston Business Journal reports Mayor Menino had nothing good to say today about a downtown business board's decision to boot pushcarts from Downtown Crossing at the end of this month.

"“These guys have been struggling, and now the good days are coming and the association wants to bring in other vendors from elsewhere?" the mayor asked.

The Downtown Boston Business Improvement District, a government-sanctioned group that levies fees on Downtown Crossing businesses for promotional efforts, said last week it was booting the pushcarts for being too declasse and that it was planning a new pushcart effort for next year. The move sparked a petition drive, a Facebook page and a Twitter feed.

Steve Himmer suggested the city chose The Pushcart War for the next "one city one story" citywide reading program.

I don't even want to get involved but ...

The mayor coming out against the BID is a load of crap, considering he is the one that put it all together, complete with his own managers. And now he's upset that his own people are doing something? I don't know if he really wants them to stay or is just hiding behind them.

And, those who say it's the "yuppies" and big-time landlords who want the pushcarts gone and are behind the BID's actions? None of those big landlords even wanted to be a part of the BID but were FORCED TO JOIN by LAW, FORCED TO PAY AN ANNUAL TAX to keep it running.

Gee, people are upset that an organization that reports to no one has power that seemingly can't be taken away has done something that is irritating?

Where the fuck were all these concerned citizens during the months and years when this was all being planned out?

Can you link us an article where members were forced to join the BID, John? I seem to remember everyone being pretty happy about it when it got put together.

I seem to remember everyone being pretty happy about it when it got put together.

As a business owner I'm sure you would be pretty happy paying into a program that is a special tax for making sure that your location is clean, spotless, new barrels, or whatever the city did extra for the location in what should be covered under city & state taxes in which you already have to pay.

BID is nothing more than a Double tax.

Our city & state Govt. are becoming like Mob Mentally

Don't forget who screwed DTX. The Mayor and the BRA then came up with the concept of BID but then gives our taxdollars or breaks to the Seaport or Liberty Mutual. They are basically using your tax dollars to predict the winners and the losers.

Back