The New Retail Thread

We went by b/c my sister needed a case for her iPhone and wanted it, IMMEDIATELY!

Why do people shop at A&F when they can order online?

If you're trying to make a snarky comment back to me, I work for AE and unlike A&F, we actually reward our customers for shopping in-store. The benefit of in-store shopping with us is that the prices are actually lower than the online promos and should you ever need to order something that we don't have in store, the shipping is always free in the continental US and CDA.

I used to feel like Boston was in a different time zone than New York because the pedestrian density would start to evaporate at least two hours earlier every night.

I used to wonder what people who lived in New York's shitty outer boroughs did with their time, but now I don't. They sit in their broom closet apartments gloating about how great their city is even though half of them never leave their apartments.

I used to wonder what people who lived in New York's shitty outer boroughs did with their time, but now I don't. They sit in their broom closet apartments gloating about how great their city is even though half of them never leave their apartments.

Nope, we definitely don't have the ability to use the internet outside our apartments in 2013!

Nope, we definitely don't have the ability to use the internet outside our apartments in 2013!

So then you're sitting at a bar or at a party on a Friday night reading and posting on archboston? That's even more pathetic.

Because this is a Boston forum and arrogant assholes comparing everything to NY is not welcomed by most. We all know what NY is, there's no need to point it out.

It's the incessant comparisons on the part of a few people here between Boston and a city that is twelve times its size, substantially wealthier and is a worldwide commercial and tourist mecca. At times it seems almost as if they need to justify their decision to live there to themselves.

At times it seems almost as if they need to justify their decision to live there to themselves.

That's precisely it.

We know that Boston is better than NY. That's as much of a given fact as the sky is blue. Why let it get to you in the first place? By responding the way some people are, they are being no better than the NY snobs.

I also don't think czsz's initial comment warranted such a rash reaction. Boston is a ridiculously dense city, yet the density of people walking around really does evaporate very early on in the day/night. That's just observable fact that we as a progressive city are working to change and fighting NIMBY mentalities.

pOZvyZZ.gif

Looks great. But what would I want to buy there? I'd been to the Atrium location and I'm a little befuddled by the whole concept. Maybe it's because I don't have a McMansion?

I also don't think czsz's initial comment warranted such a rash reaction. Boston is a ridiculously dense city, yet the density of people walking around really does evaporate very early on in the day/night. That's just observable fact that we as a progressive city are working to change and fighting NIMBY mentalities.

The ultimate challenge in fighting NIMBYs is that in this city, the overwhelming majority of the NIMBY's are extreme progressives. In many ways, it is hyprocrisy at its best/worst.

Looks great. But what would I want to buy there? I'd been to the Atrium location and I'm a little befuddled by the whole concept. Maybe it's because I don't have a McMansion?

Furniture.
It's not really a concept. It's a high-end furniture store.

I would imagine at least some of it would appeal to those who own some of the actual mansions in the area. (Though I'm sure they are mostly filled with either real antiques or ultra high-end modern furniture.)

Not really anything there you couldn't get elsewhere so they are trying mighty hard to wrap it all into a shiny, high-status package. Not to be forgotten is this over-priced consumer palace was the original home of MIT.

Back