The New Retail Thread

Anyone know what is going in the old city sports on franklin st? Major work going on.

Anyone know what is going in the old city sports on franklin st? Major work going on.

I heard Sweetgreen is taking half of it. Can't recall what was taking the other half.

Dear god Social Register in Seaport (D Street; in Aloft hotel) never gets any business. The bar was full .. but that's it.

Unless there are conventions going on, it's still a pretty sparse area, even when taking into account the rental apts. in the immediate vicinity. Not exactly a destination area people think of for nightlife.

Not sure if this has been posted yet but the grand, a new nightclub, has opened in the seaport. Nice to see a new nightlife option, it seems like new places don't open up too often.

Id hate to life on the 4th floor of the Benjamin no matter how good the soundproofing at the Grand is. Some serious sounds coming out of there

Updated Seaport retail openings as of 11/29/17:

OPEN
Luke's Lobster
Lululemon
Bank of America
Tuscan Kitchen
Sweetgreen
Caffe Nero
Kings
Better Bagels
The Grand Nightclub
Scorpion Bar
Equinox (w/ Juice Press in lobby)
Seaport Barbers
Mr. Sid
Bonobos
Honeygrow
Wagamama
Core Power Yoga
Lolita Cocina & Tequila Bar (Fort Point)

NOT SURE:
La Colombe Coffee
Peter Millar
Bartaco (Fort Point)
ShowPlace Icon Movie Theater (est. Dec)
Filson (build out barely started)
L.L. Bean (build out 25% done)
75 on Courthouse Square (vinyl signage added, build out in progress)
Warby Parker
Hopsters (est. Nov-Dec)
The Smoke Shop (former Tavern Road space in Fort Point)
Trillium Brewery + Restaurant (Late 2018)

Last edited:
The summary is great, but would you mind mentioning what changed? It's difficult to tell in the current format.

The summary is great, but would you mind mentioning what changed? It's difficult to tell in the current format.

Sweetgreen, Caffe Nero, and Kings are now open within the last week.

Lululemon and BoA approaching opening. :)

I had no idea that this was going to be a live music venue. Very cool. And talk about much needed activation of the ground floor of this complex / this end of the Bulfinch Triangle.

City Winery, Where You Can See Musicians While Sitting And Sipping Wine, Is Finally Set To Open In Boston
. . .
Boston will be the seventh City Winery facility, and its fifth city. (New York and Chicago have City Winery clubs and adjunct venues.)

“The functionality of the layout and space will be one of our best,” says Dorf, looking into the near future in Boston. “The neighborhood is super-primed for us opening. But by far, this is the most challenging building in terms of what we could do and not do. The structural, mechanical and electrical engineering was elaborate to coordinate and we never anticipated that level of challenges.”
. . .

Surveying the cavernous, but cluttered, 32,000-square foot space at 1 Canal St. in Boston's West End during the August sneak peak, Dorf said, “We’re not just building a stage in a room and making sure there’s a bunch of outlets for the amps. We realize how important the details are in order to have the operation be what we want it to be. We want every musician to know they’re going to have a great sound experience on the stage.

Article:
http://www.wbur.org/artery/2017/11/10/city-winery-boston

^worth a read; the multi-room layout, large capacity, and line-up of solid musicians is quite a welcome surprise to me. Maybe some of you were well aware of what this was, but I sure wasn't...

If you've been waiting for the chance to hear Howard Jones play his songs acoustically while telling you about his inspirations for songs, you'll want to go to his City Winery appearance.

New medical marijuana dispensary approved at 331 Newbury Street. Vehemently opposed by neighbors on Comm Ave., including a guy named Oliver Curme who said he didn't want people with Multiple Sclerosis, Breast Cancer, and PTSD frequenting the area's retail district because it would scare people away.

Frightening. Read in the gray box at the link below.

http://www.universalhub.com/2017/medical-marijuana-dispensary-approved-newbury

Last edited:
New medical marijuana dispensary approved at 331 Newbury Street. Vehemently opposed by neighbors on Comm Ave., including a guy named Oliver Curme who said he didn't want people with Multiple Sclerosis, Breast Cancer, and PTSD frequenting the area's retail district because it would scare people away.

Frightening. Read in the gray box at the link below.

http://http://www.universalhub.com/2017/medical-marijuana-dispensary-approved-newbury

Just saw that on UH. Here's the video.

Quite an acting job if that's the case.

"I live in a mansion around the corner, which you deadbeats wouldn't know anything about. Anyway, me and my rich friends don't want scumbag losers with MS and cancer coming and sucking around our neighborhood, stinking the place up. In conclusion, veterans are a plague upon our society, and should be shunned to the point of suicide.

Good day."

Last edited:
Sadly, it is not at act. Where the heck are these people when liquor stores open or convenience stores selling tobacco products and scratch tickets? Those places bring far more "undesirables" than a medical dispensary that charges $50+ for an 1/8th of weed.

The Globe has a piece on the "vets and MS and cancer patients" guy. He confirmed with NBC Boston that he's in favor of the dispensary and was making a point.

Boston Globe said:
“The point that I was trying to make is a marijuana dispensary is going to bring in people that really need this,” he said. “People who are sick people who have cancer or some other thing and this is the only choice for them.”

He added, “If you listen to what I said it was so over the top, that I think that’s the only way it could have been construed.”

Well done. Even now that everyone knows he wasn't being serious, he still makes the dispensary's opponents look ridiculous.

Wish someone could do that to the shadow nimbys

What appears to be a Caffe Nero (I snuck a peak at the construction documents inside) is currently being fitted out in the Fenway Triangle building between Sweet Cheeks and Tiger Mama on Boylston. Possibly timed to open right when move-ins start at the Pierce next door?

This will be in the same building as one Starbucks (on the Brookline Ave side), directly across Boylston from a second Starbucks (in Star Market), and directly across Kilmarnock from a third Starbucks (in Target). And it's also kitty-corner from a brand new Tatte (across Boylston and Kilmarnock in the Harlo). But, somehow, this area of the Fenway (bounded by the Fens, Park Drive, Beacon, and the Pike) has zero Dunks. Is this even Boston? (There was one DD in the Gulf station but that closed. There are also some in Fenway Park itself but those aren't public / don't count.)

Back