The New Retail Thread

The Fourth Wall has opened in the space of the erstwhile Intermission Tavern. The menu is slimmer, and prices are higher.

The Fourth Wall has opened in the space of the erstwhile Intermission Tavern. The menu is slimmer, and prices are higher.

Harpoon is still $6 though. I chatted up the bartender the other evening and they're planning to close again in about a month for total renovations but they wanted to make some money between now and when they close down.

Anyone have any idea whatsup with Jacob Wirth's? Closed since they suffered water damage from a fire a month or two ago, but I'm surprised they have not yet returned and I have not seen crews working inside. A few weeks ago there was a huge trash pile in front of the place of all the stuff they were throwing out and then nothing.

Harpoon is still $6 though. I chatted up the bartender the other evening and they're planning to close again in about a month for total renovations but they wanted to make some money between now and when they close down.

Anyone have any idea whatsup with Jacob Wirth's? Closed since they suffered water damage from a fire a month or two ago, but I'm surprised they have not yet returned and I have not seen crews working inside. A few weeks ago there was a huge trash pile in front of the place of all the stuff they were throwing out and then nothing.

Yeah, I'd heard that about the new place too. Haven't heard anything about Jacob Wirth's, and nobody else seems to have an idea either.

Jacob Wirth's may be waiting for insurance monies, and architect drawings to have repairs consistent with code.

Paradise in Cambridge is closing this month. It's at the corner of Mass Ave and Albany St. Building has been owned by Novartis since 2008. Anyone hear about what's to replace it?

Is anybody a retail broker on the site?
Just curious what the going rate for retail space is these days per square foot?
Downtown--
Backbay--
Southie--
Greenway--
Northend--
Seaport--
ChinaTown--

Paradise in Cambridge is closing this month. It's at the corner of Mass Ave and Albany St. Building has been owned by Novartis since 2008. Anyone hear about what's to replace it?

That's sad news. Are there going to be any gay bars left in Greater Boston? I know we don't "need" them anymore, but it's nice to raise a glass with your own people once in awhile. I guess there is always Provincetown!

A drab research building filled with a few hundred of the most boring people you'll ever meet. Just a hunch.

A drab research building filled with a few hundred of the most boring people you'll ever meet. Just a hunch.

kmp, you always manage to be sharply insulting yet with an undeniably pragmatic and probably-at-least-partially-correct edge...

That said, I'll take this opportunity to point out what I think is one of the most resounding counter-example/success stories just a couple hundred feet next door: 292-310 Mass Ave (Takeda Pharma)

Yes, this is a boring pharma building, but with great diverse ground floor experience that spans 18 hrs daily operation. It includes a speakeasy bar, fitness/athletic facility, fast casual restaurant, locally owned stationery business, and a upper-end Japanese tapas restaurant/cocktail bar.

So why can't this happen there too? I dunno...

Just sayin, you are probably 95% correct, not 100% correct. Novartis will probably just build out the rest of the space with more of their own...but there's a chance they could preserve the retail slot for something else. After all, in one of their other buildings on the same street they have a Flour bakery and a decent wine shop on ground floor.

Is anybody a retail broker on the site?
Just curious what the going rate for retail space is these days per square foot?
-

Downtown-- $40
Backbay-- $100+
Southie-- $45
Greenway-- No idea
Northend-- $60 - guess
Seaport-- $65+
ChinaTown- No idea

This is an estimate with a basic TI package so can vary greatly depending on the deal. Banks and Pharmacies will pay a lot more.

Yes, this is a boring pharma building, but with great diverse ground floor experience that spans 18 hrs daily operation. It includes a speakeasy bar, fitness/athletic facility, fast casual restaurant, locally owned stationery business, and a upper-end Japanese tapas restaurant/cocktail bar.

So why can't this happen there too? I dunno...

I believe the reaction is to the loss of a busy, popular gay nightclub and the realization that something far more sterile and less interesting will replace it, regardless of how well they do the ground floor retail.

I believe the reaction is to the loss of a busy, popular gay nightclub and the realization that something far more sterile and less interesting will replace it, regardless of how well they do the ground floor retail.

But a fast casual restaurant bro, that's tough to beat. There's also a fitness center.

By all means -

In all sincerity, I had read two separate threads of thought going on above, and did not at all mean to imply that what might come of that parcel could be better than what was there.

I was specifically referring to:

...and all I was trying to say is that not every lab building in the area is 100% labs

But a fast casual restaurant bro, that's tough to beat. There's also a fitness center.

I couldn't agree more with your sarcasm. Again, this was not a comparison to the prior establishment. Meant it only as a comparison to the Kendall area lab buildings that are 9-5/all work/not open to public/etc. My point in mentioning the range of businesses was solely to highlight the 18hr/day site utilization of the counter-example, because a common critique in this area is that entire blocks shut down outside of 9-5.

I do think there are two sentiments here:
1) loss of key establishment
2) how awful most of the lab buildings are

My commentary was solely meant as a counter example to #2.

EDIT: btw, Paradise is at the Central-Kendall borderlands, so obviously what one is thinking about in terms of the neighborhood depends on whether you're conceptualizing it as Central or Kendall...from kmp's comment, I assumed s/he was critiquing greater Kendall (e.g., "drab research building")

This is awesome news! More local businesses in the Seaport = win.

New Thai restaurant, Kala Thai Cookery, in the space at the corner of Hannover and Blackstone Street across from the Public Market. There have been a few restaurants in here in recent years and I hope this one makes it. This food is really good and Thai is a great addition to the area.

New Thai restaurant, Kala Thai Cookery, in the space at the corner of Hannover and Blackstone Street across from the Public Market. There have been a few restaurants in here in recent years and I hope this one makes it. This food is really good and Thai is a great addition to the area.

Nice. I'm still bummed about Lulu's Kitchen. The food was awesome. The place that took its spot was a typical mediocre pizza/subs/pasta joint. This sounds like it has potential. It's a tough spot (but I bet it gets easier when parcel 9 is complete).

Back