The New Retail Thread

Yes and no --- the Icon in the Seaport did well before COVID.
It's a great layout inside - had lots of lobby space and the theaters were nice inside. The amenities were already great, including heated reclining seats and nice bathrooms. It was a great deal for $5 Tuesdays and can only get better with Alamo 🙂

It's a great layout inside - had lots of lobby space and the theaters were nice inside. The amenities were already great, including heated reclining seats and nice bathrooms. It was a great deal for $5 Tuesdays and can only get better with Alamo 🙂

I've been there and thought it was fine. My issue is that the Alamo brand (what of it is left) is irreverent and off-kilter, and the Seaport is neither of those things.

The right place for an Alamo Drafthouse in Boston would ideally be the Regal in Fenway (which Regal isn't done with yet) or a new spot in Allston, or a much smaller location in Harvard Square. The Seaport is the antithesis of the brand.

I've been there and thought it was fine. My issue is that the Alamo brand (what of it is left) is irreverent and off-kilter, and the Seaport is neither of those things.

The right place for an Alamo Drafthouse in Boston would ideally be the Regal in Fenway (which Regal isn't done with yet) or a new spot in Allston, or a much smaller location in Harvard Square. The Seaport is the antithesis of the brand.

I'm just happy to have a theater back. I was so bummed when Icon closed because it was always a great quality experience and so convenient. No younger kids was also a huge plus.

Or maybe the Alamo will help funk up the Seaport a bit, which would be a good thing.

The jazz bar opening in the same complex might help too (Grace by Nia, apparently under construction). I’ve also noticed the ICA drawing crowds of younger art kids to the neighborhood for certain events, which definitely has a different vibe than baseline

Whole Foods just renovated their Framingham location a mile from Shopper's World. I doubt the Shopper's World supermarket will be a Whole Foods.

The Metrowest Daily News is reporting that an Amazon Fresh will be built in the Barnes & Noble space at Shoppers World in Framingham and the B&N will be moving across Route 9 to Sherwood Plaza, opening in the spring in the former Petco space.

Yeah, I even would have preferred the former Arclight location at North Station.

Pamona looks like they’re going to open in 20 Meridian St. in Eastie. They have a location in Swampscott. This building is beautiful and the first floor will make an excellent restaurant space. I hope they do well.
B5E35D75-6E48-449D-B3A3-498CBDCB96E5.jpeg

Pamona looks like they’re going to open in 20 Meridian St. in Eastie. They have a location in Swampscott. This building is beautiful and the first floor will make an excellent restaurant space. I hope they do well.
View attachment 32932

Pomona also has a location in Winthrop. It might have been their first. They are part of the Antique Table family of restaurants on the north shore.

Chicken & Rice Guys just re-opened in one of the containers at the IDB building. M-F lunch only hours.

The right place for an Alamo Drafthouse in Boston would ideally be the Regal in Fenway (which Regal isn't done with yet)

About that, right on time:

Cineworld told the court on Tuesday that its plan to reject the leases for some 39 locations would help it save $22 million a year and that it is still working with landlords to preserve other theaters.

• Fenway Stadium 13 and RPX (Boston, MA)

This is really too bad (a bunch of nostalgia here, for me anyway):

Christopher’s won’t reopen from Covid closing, and Toad will go too in property or business sale

Property and businesses are going to be listed for sale, with Toad operating until then, and with Christopher's staying permanently closed.

VLDTAXDF6H2FDPUDIUZS7R63TE.JPG

Image in the Globe, Elkus Manfredi is the credit

From the Globe article
While the RFP called for rent of $25,000, Emerson and Trillium’s bid doubled that with an offer of $50,000. Between the rent and an agreement to give the city a minimum of 8 percent in sales, Woods said the city expects to receive between $130,000 and $150,000 total as part of its agreement. That money that will go toward the Fund for Parks and Recreation in Boston, a nonprofit that funds recreational programs using vendor payments. There used to be as many as 70 vendors on the Common prior to the COVID-19 pandemic; now that number is down to 35, and there’s been a subsequent loss of at least $200,000 in revenue, Woods said.

Back