The New Retail Thread

Hmm...I guess that was sort of a lame story. Just meant to point out that CVS isn't as bright and friendly as their advertisements suggest.

Actually I've been dying to use the 'Cool story, bro" meme, and you happened to present the perfect opportunity.

So, thanks. :)

I'm not familiar with their adverts, but I'd say the operation is pretty transparent. Look at the name: Consumer Value Store

That's exactly how I picture how a moderator should act. This site is a model of hypocrisy. At least you half backed off but you completely pawned the kid. And this is coming from a person who's cursed him out in PM's.

I love the immaturity of the moderators on a site with rampant snobbery. This forum is a joke.

Duane Read is a complete rip off and I laugh at my NYC friends who frequent it for things you can get for much cheaper at Wal-Mart or Target. They are too lazy to drive to get their stuff.
Does anyone drive in New York?

The unions have effectively banned Wal-Mart from opening in NYC, but a Costco just opened in East Harlem complete with parking...I guess for Westchester people on their way home from East Midtown who are too entitled to take Metro-North?

Maybe not. A lot of people who live in the city (outer boroughs) drive, which isn't so amazing considering how long it takes to get into Manhattan on some subway lines, or how inconvenient from places that aren't served by them, and the condition the subways were in just 20 years ago and what habits that formed. Watch an episode of Seinfeld...half the characters drive, and that wasn't so uncommon on the early 90s. This is why there was such an outcry within NYC itself over congestion charging, and why it could never get off the ground politically.

When I lived in New York, I owned a car. But I didn't drive to the suburbs to buy batteries or groceries (too big a waste of time, depressing, vexatious).

The car was for cruising around Manhattan late at night and showing out-of-towners the big city. It was also good weekends for getting out of town, though renting a car for this would have saved me money and aggravation.

New facade for eagles deli in cleveland circle.

Before:

After:

you can also see the bubble tea shop that took up half the cleaners too.

This also shows how this whole block should be 2-3 stories each instead of 1.

I'm shocked there is a boba place in Cleveland Circle. Shocked.

Then you probably wouldn't be surprised to hear that it isn't very good. I think they put all their money into the sign outside as the menus behind the counter were spray painted stencil lettering on plywood shortly after they opened. Dong Khanh on Harrison in Chinatown is the best in the city, largely owing to the fact they don't use powder.

Even Cleveland Circle is starting to go upmarket. Cityside Bar completely gut-renovated their 2 story space last year into something a little more yuppie friendly, Fin's Sushi moved into the ultra greasy Chinese place on Chestnut Hill Ave, along with Chill, a rather modern frozen yogurt shop that replaced a redundant BoA ATM next door. Another sushi place has just opened up over on Chiswick Road off of Comm Ave. Not to mention store fronts are being refurbished. When Chipotle moved into the old CVS spot, they more or less restored the original Art-Deco-ish storefront facade, removing the old brick bunker that was there, along with Cleveland Circle Hardware replacing their beat up (but wonderfully retro) sign. I just hope Pino's Pizza never remove their neon and flashing lights.

Hopefully all this activity signals something good for the neighborhood going forward. As long as I can afford to live there, anyway.

Bankok beastro (just butchered that spelling) was recently repainted as well. I used to live above the store 24 right there, and it was probably one of the best places i have lived.

Dirty as fuck, but a lot of fun.

Bankok beastro (just butchered that spelling) was recently repainted as well. I used to live above the store 24 right there, and it was probably one of the best places i have lived.

Dirty as fuck, but a lot of fun.

hahaha, it's "Bistro" (I'm assuming you knew that), but I rather like "BEASTro." It certainly seems intentional and from the way you describe the place, appropriate. I think it would be a good name for an ironic sounding, anti-yuppie movement, BBQ place... I can just picture a "Joe's Beastro, BBQ from every sort of beast."

Yuppies would just figure it to be an upscale game-meat restaurant. Hey look! No cows!

I'm pretty sure yuppies enjoy the 'cue (see Redbones). Incidentally, the Roadhouse BBQ down the street stirred emotions in Brookline for replacing a Kosher market (and Vinny Ts) with an imposing black and red facade. It's also about 15 feet away from an Orthodox synagogue. Of course there's nothing to this story (I hope), but it's an interesting case since it's a yuppie-oriented joint pissing off the locals - in Brookline.

Heh, anyway, I've been there and think it's a fine place (to drink beer). Would much rather have kept the Kosher market, and to hell with Vinny Ts.

hahaha, it's "Bistro" (I'm assuming you knew that), but I rather like "BEASTro." It certainly seems intentional and from the way you describe the place, appropriate. I think it would be a good name for an ironic sounding, anti-yuppie movement, BBQ place... I can just picture a "Joe's Beastro, BBQ from every sort of beast."

haha i think i was focusing to much on how to spell Bangkok to even realize i put beastro, but now that you mention it, we may be on to something here!

Back