The New Retail Thread

I love it! Some horseshoes cantilevered over the channel for people to sit on while they eat. The view, the convenience . . . I'd like to invest Toby.

Please please tell me it's going to be surrounded on all sides by parking like a suburban Taco Bell... that's how it looks...

CAN YOU FEEL THE EXCITEMENT

Shepard figured it out.

You guys are so damn cynical! It's not going to be surrounded by something so suburban like parking lots, it will be surrounded by that ultra-urban amenity:

cef8a41dae_ltprendering.jpg

A grassy lawn.

Last edited:
^ Well then, we can sleep easy.

(But the renderer left out the gum wrappers.)

^ Suburban Boston is growing faster than Urban Boston. Louis Boston is evidence of that, and so is the Greenway (especially if it gets covered by shadow legislation).

That area is going to look WORSE than Kendall Square.

^ Well, that may even be OK with me. What bothers me most is that --as a consequence-- it may WORK worse than Kendall Square.

I think this is new. Marriot Lobby at Copley Place, by the pru skywal

IMG_3979.jpg

Is that the sports bar? I miss that crappy lounge band they used to have there. My friend even knew the name of that band, but I forget what he said it was. One time I was walking by and they were playing Ring My Bell... it was awesomenessness.

I used to work at the chocolate store across the way from that bar. I know that band all to well. I used to have to listen to them for the last hour or so of my shift. The best was when the singer would really get into whatever random disco song she was covering and let out a little whoop.

What did they do to that area anyway? I recall it being under construction back in the summer and it's only opened now for a sports bar? Were there more extensive renos done?

I used to work at the chocolate store across the way from that bar. I know that band all to well. I used to have to listen to them for the last hour or so of my shift. The best was when the singer would really get into whatever random disco song she was covering and let out a little whoop.

What did they do to that area anyway? I recall it being under construction back in the summer and it's only opened now for a sports bar? Were there more extensive renos done?

The starbucks was sort of changed, and behind where I was standing (across from the hallway that goes from the mall to the hotel escalators) there is a lounge, called "conexion" but otherwise quite plain.

He didn't show you the totally-ridiculous 40-foot TV screen that shows sports all day and night.

But, I'm here with other news. Coppa has opened. It's a new restaurant in the South End at the corners of Shawmut Ave and Milford St.

Here is a review from the BostonZest website:

To win a seat on Coppa's first Friday night, we knew we'd have to be at the door before it opened. This new restaurant from Ken Oringer and Jamie Bissonette has been stalked by bloggers. Daily progress reports have been posted on Chowhound.

Coppa is not a large space- about 40-seats. We were the first ones in line and grabbed stools at the end of the bar nearest the door- a chilly decision. Next time we'll head for the spaces near the kitchen.

By 6:30 pm the place was jammed. Customers waiting for seats were standing in back of us getting drinks passed to them- including cans of Schaefer beer (go figure).

The volume in the room quickly got loud, the good news being that it drowned out the "something-for-everyone-to-hate" music.

Our bartender, Corey was knowledgeable about the food and wine, and had his hands full as the crowd grew in number.

Penny started with a glass of sparkling Pinot Nero. Ed tasted it and ordered the same. A good balance of fruit and dry. It grew even better as it warmed.

Your menu becomes your placemat. That keeps it handy for ordering the next plate and lets you fold it up and take it home? stains and all. Dishes run between $5 and $15. These are small plates- perfect for sharing. And, they were served that way. Despite the waiting crowd, we were not rushed and our meal was well paced. We had:

* Fresh buratta with sea salt, and bresoala
* Brussels Sprouts from the wood oven with pancetta, pecorino, and horseradish
* Pesce al Mattone / local fish (cod in our case) under a brick with pistachios, capers and meyer lemon
* Ravioli/ Ricotta and Taleggio ravioli with pomodoro
* Costolette de maiale / Slow roasted pork ribs with fennel, rosemary and fried garlic

Buratta is something Ed's been sampling everywhere. While it was served on the chilly side, the soft center was a prize that he quickly found. He rated it very good.

The Brussels Sprouts were tiny, sweet, and perfectly complemented by the salty, spicy notes from the additions. Corey told us they had been working on it, and last night used the wood-burning oven for them.

If cooking fish under a brick can produce a crispy skin that you find yourself wanting as much as the perfectly cooked flesh, we will start experimenting at home. This was a great dish.

Along the way, we ordered more wine. Arneis for Penny and a Nebbiolo/Barbera for Ed. He's a fan of both grapes but had never tried the blend. It was from Neil Rosenthal, one of our favorite importers, and it was a big hit.

The red wine was perfect with the ravioli. Taleggio is a strong flavor that rules in this dish but works well with the tomato.

Our finale was Costolette de maiale. Penny, who never saw a piece of pork she doesn't crave, loved all of it. Ed liked the crispy outer skin but wasn't as wowed as he'd been all evening.

Remember, BostonZest "first looks" are just that- our first impression. It takes any new business time to reach cruising speed. And, we only slow down long enough to tell you about those places where we can't wait for our next visit.

Details:

Coppa
253 Shawmut Avenue, Boston MA
617-391-0902
http://www.coppaboston.com

Can't wait to try Coppa.
I live a couple blocks from Champions so I've been there a few times. The decor looks like something Dr Evil would come up with ("How do you like my quasi-futuristic sports bar, Mr. Powers?"). But it's a good place to watch a game. The beer list is excellent (they finally have drafts - couldn't before because the basement that would have kept the kegs was the Pike). The wine list is "surprisingly pretty good" (my wife's words). The food still sucks.

I also cannot wait for Coppa. If it is half as good as Toro then i will be a very frequent customer.

count me among those who like the new champions (though I love the dr. evil reference;-). It's wildly overstimulating, and because of that it's a pretty exciting place to watch a game.

count me among those who like the new champions (though I love the dr. evil reference;-). It's wildly overstimulating, and because of that it's a pretty exciting place to watch a game.

Yeah, I believe Marriott is in the process of changing all of their old "Champions" sports bars to their new "High Velocity" brand. Supposed to be a contemporary, sports-loungey kind of place. Part of their whole "re-imagined lobby" stuff. They're actually pretty cool (better than the average hotel lounge,) at least the one in their World Center Orlando hotel is.

While we're on the topic of the Copley Marriott, they reconfigured their lobby and it's pretty obvious from the positioning of the furniture and fixtures that they're trying to discourage mall traffic from entering via the lobby.

Back