The New Retail Thread

^statler
Re: 58 Summer St.

I'm not 100% sure the historic photo is the same building... note the arched windows on upper floors.

I walked by the site yesterday. The rehab is not yet complete. The scaffolding is still up outside and the 1st floor is undergoing interior renovations.

43683059.jpg

Yeah, I'm not either.

I just saw the fluted columns on the building next door and went from there. I think that building may be (or was) across the street.

More info on the closing of Brigham's Ice Cream shops in the globe today.

In summary, 13 stores under common ownership will close, but there are about 12 independently owned locations that will stay open:

To outcry, Brigham?s heads to bankruptcy
By Megan Woolhouse, Globe Staff | November 20, 2009

When sheriff?s deputies unexpectedly told employees at the Brigham?s restaurant in Arlington to leave last Friday, locking the doors behind them, longtime waitress Kathy Hogan was angry. But not at the county officers.

The owner of the failing ice cream shop chain, Luke T. Cooper, is ?terrible,?? said Hogan, who waited tables at the Arlington location for 37 years. ?It?s very obvious he doesn?t care about people or give a damn about them.??

The abrupt closure, caused by a landlord?s eviction of the restaurant for failure to pay rent, meant she was unable to say goodbye to regular customers she considered family. They included an elderly blind woman who relied on Hogan to read her mail aloud most days.

The restaurant chain - once a household name in New England - is expected to file for bankruptcy today, and the 13 locations operated by Cooper?s company, Deal Metrics LLC, are closing, Cooper said this week. About a dozen independently owned stores that feature Brigham?s ice cream remain unaffected by the bankruptcy.

That will leave only a hint of a chain that once had more than 100 restaurants across Massachusetts.

Hogan and many other former Brigham?s employees say Cooper, a 33-year-old equity investor based in Baltimore, betrayed the Brigham legacy. They say that in less than 18 months he appears to have dismantled the last vestiges of the 95-year-old institution.

Deal Metrics has already shut down at least five of its 13 Brigham?s, including shops in Brockton, Danvers, and Peabody. In all, about 200 people will be out of work just before the holidays.

Employees say they suspected something was amiss; they were paid in cash in recent weeks and health insurance was canceled months ago.

But they did not expect the end to come so swiftly.

Brigham?s customers have been swamping Cooper with e-mail messages blaming him for ruining a piece of local culture.

?They?re angry that someone is taking away their clam chowder and taking away their frappes,?? Cooper acknowledged in an interview Wednesday at an upscale steakhouse in Baltimore. But, he said, the business had been mismanaged for years before he bought it.

People ?think I?m some kind of guy who saw an opportunity and took advantage of it, and to some degree I am that guy,?? he said. But ?we?re not just another investment firm seeking outsized returns for our investors. We?re not [company] killers.??

Deal Metrics bought part of the financially ailing Brigham?s company in 2008 for an undisclosed amount from New England Capital Partners, a Newton private equity firm that owned it for four years. Kevin M. McCafferty, chairman of New England Capital Partners, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Cooper?s timing was not good. Regional chain restaurants have struggled against growing competition from national companies and, more recently, they have been pummeled by the economic slide as consumers cut back on dining out.

New England Capital Partners sold the Brigham?s ice cream brand name to HP Hood in 2008. The Tron Group, another Boston equity firm, engineered the deal and oversaw the sale of the restaurants to Deal Metrics.

Cooper acknowledged the Brigham purchase was his first attempt at turning around a restaurant company in trouble. The only other venture listed on his website, www.dealmet.com, is for Charity Home Raffle, a Baltimore group that raffles foreclosed homes for nonprofits. He said he has worked with other businesses but declined to name them. Cooper, a graduate of the Syracuse University College of Law, is a lawyer in good standing.

The website also listed Cooper?s credentials. It says he ?completed graduate work in finance from Yale University School of Management (?02) and the University of Chicago GSB,?? or Graduate School of Business. But officials for the two universities said they have no record of Cooper completing graduate work as a full-time or part-time student. Yale said Cooper signed up for a summer course in 2004 but was a ?no-show.??

Asked about the discrepancy, Cooper declined to answer. ?It?s immaterial, my educational background as it relates to this business,?? he said.

Cooper said he bought the restaurants despite the fact they were $1.1 million in debt because he thought he could make improvements that would boost profits. He said he consolidated vendors, improved the company?s website, and reassigned employees. But the recession, combined with high rents and other problems, hurt business, he said.

For example, he said, the Brigham?s location on High Street in Boston cost $25,000 a month to rent. Lincoln Properties, the building?s owner, could not be reached for comment.

?The reality is that businesses go out of business all the time. Brigham?s is no different,?? Cooper said.

Yet employees point to what they say was a gradual decline in service and quality under Deal Metrics? tenure. The menu grew thinner. and some restaurants fell into disrepair. In some locations, rent has gone unpaid for months, they say, and vendors - those who continued to deliver - were typically paid by managers with cash from registers.

Diane Dunleavy, who worked at the downtown Boston Brigham?s for 21 years, said her paychecks bounced in the last several months, so she started cashing them at the restaurant. She said she called the attorney general?s office to complain when her health insurance was suddenly dropped. The attorney general?s office said it could not say whether it is investigating claims against Brigham?s.

Dunleavy called Cooper ?a capital investor taking all the money and that?s it.??

?I don?t think he knew the kind of place Brigham?s was,?? she said.

Brandie Holmes, who had worked at the Braintree restaurant for a decade starting when she was 15 years old, quit in July. She said although she was promoted to manager, she was consistently paid at a waitress rate (a little more than $2 an hour) and was told it was an accounting error that would eventually be corrected.

?As soon as Luke Cooper took over, things really started to change,?? she said. ?I found it was in my best interest to move on.??

Sitting in a Baltimore restaurant where the waiter knew his name, Cooper denied any wrongdoing, and said Brigham?s employees should have realized the chain did not have a future.

?They knew it had an expiration date,?? he said.

And when asked about the employees? pay claims, Cooper said he would ?love to sit down and talk?? to those who say they were treated unfairly.

?Bankruptcy court will ultimately decide what we owe our employees and other creditors,?? he said. ?If, in fact, there are obligations to them.??

Megan Woolhouse can be reached at mwoolhouse@globe.com.

Unfortunately she did not provide a list of which stores are owned by Deal Metrics and which independently. I've e-mailed her to ask for this info. I know that the Brigham's stores in Arlington Heights and Belmont are owned by an independent franchisee.

Luke Cooper should be in criminal court, not bankruptcy court, for his actions.

I remember when this chain was as ubiquitous as CVS or Dunkin Donuts are now. There was one every few blocks throughout Back Bay and Downtown, and in all the major squares of Cambridge.

Sad. At what point did private equity lose its appetite for due diligence? I don't just mean the shaky investment, but even the trust some people would place with a guy who ?completed graduate work in finance from Yale University School of Management (?02) and the University of Chicago GSB,?? - or maybe actually didn't, but don't worry; that's "immaterial."

Hmmmm

Unfortunately she did not provide a list of which stores are owned by Deal Metrics and which independently. I've e-mailed her to ask for this info. I know that the Brigham's stores in Arlington Heights and Belmont are owned by an independent franchisee.

The Brigham's located in Wellesley is staying open too.

This is amazing.

EA SPORTS Active Pop-up Training Centers Popping-Up in San Francisco and Boston
Posted on Nov 3, 2009
The EA SPORTS Active Pop-up Training Centers will be in San Francisco and Boston from November 15 ? December 14, 2009. Visitors to the EA SPORTS Active Pop-up Training Centers will enjoy a personalized introduction to EA SPORTS Active from our EA SPORTS Active Trainers at one of our state-of-the-art demo stations, who will show them how to create a custom workout specific to their fitness level and goals, as well as how to use the in-game journal to track healthy nutrition and fitness habits.

Consumers who already own a Wii system and want to explore the Active products further in the privacy of their homes can borrow either EA SPORTS Active Personal Trainer or More Workouts from the lending library.

? San Francisco Location: 39 Stockton Street, San Francisco, CA 94108

? Boston Location: 156 Newbury Street, Boston, MA 02116

Locations open:
12:00 pm to 7:00 pm Monday to Friday
10:00 am to 6:00 pm Saturday - Sunday​

This is something that has never been done before: an entire store for a single game.
Here is Boston:
IMG_4878.JPG

Write up and some inside pictures on http://dontwhitesugarcoatit.blogspot.com/2009/11/fit-for-free.html

Last edited:
I predicted this would never open but I was wrong (again!). The Tannery has opened at the corners of Exeter and Boylston streets, in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood. Two whole floors of space. Get your Uggs, today!

(The space was most recently occupied by Restoration Hardware. Previously, it was the old ... help me out here ... something Pharmacy.)

tannery.jpg

Jonathan Adler opened a store on Newbury Street, two weeks ago. People like his stuff because it's unique-looking and relatively-inexpensive. Lighting, furnishings, that sort of thing.

adler.jpg

(The space was most recently occupied by Restoration Hardware. Previously, it was the old ... help me out here ... something Pharmacy.)

Guild's Drug Store. They had a great newsstand back in the day.

(Why did Restoration close?)

The Tannery has opened at the corners of Exeter and Boylston streets, in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood.

Is anything happening with the old location between Arlington and Berkeley? It's little building, and the ones next to it (where the Tannery had window displays), have been in bad shape for years. Does anyone know why? Has Druker managed to buy them yet?

Along with the SC&L building and a couple other empty storefronts, this will make the block look desolate.

The Tannery location in Harvard Square is always completely empty. It boggles the mind that they are able to expand.

Mmm. The landlord apparently owns both the Boylston Street locations, which is why he was able to move up the street to corner of Exeter. I had predicted it would never open; shows how much I know about things. It was very busy yesterday but not sure if anyone was buying.

The Tannery location in Harvard Square is always completely empty. It boggles the mind that they are able to expand.

Really? Which one? In my experience the original basement location is usually bursting at the seams, the one on brattle street not so much, but its far short of sparse.

Last edited:

i was at both yesterday(checking out the price on some new docs) and they were both packed.

New restaurant / bar proposed for the Back Bay
61 Massachusetts Ave, corners of Commonwealth and Mass avenues

From the proprietor:

Please join us for an Informal Neighborhood Discussion regarding the proposed 'DeuxAve' restaurant at 61 Mass Ave & related request for full liquor license

A new neighborhood restaurant featuring affordable, creative French & American cuisine in a comfortable neighborhood setting

Come meet the owners and here more about this exciting proposed restaurant in your neighborhood

Wednesday, December 2, 2009 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM
at 61 Mass Ave, Back Bay

Hosted by DeuxAve Restaurant and Bar

If you cannot attend but would still like to support, please send a signed support letter with your name and address included by Friday 12/6 to:

Joseph Hanley, Esq.
McDermott, Quilty & Miller, LLP
21 Custom House Street, Suite 300 Boston, MA 02110

Please contact us if you would like to support in any other way!
RSVP or more info jhanley@mqmllp.com or 617-946-4600

Bombay Club moving from Cambridge to Washington Street, South End (replacing Pho Republique which is rumored to be relocating to another South End spot in the near future):

bombay_club.jpg

There is a new Panera coming to the former Hollywood video site at Shaws in West Roxbury.

Yipee!! /sarcasm

Back