The Official MBTA System Map

1721604008980.png

A very WIP mild redesign of the official map. I'm not changing up the style too much besides I think the buses and adding some parks, but I'm hoping to rearrange the lines to make them more aesthetically pleasing, starting with downtown and the SW corridor where I'm doing the same thing I did with my fantasy map by making the OL and GL-E run parallel to each other.

View attachment 52954
A very WIP mild redesign of the official map. I'm not changing up the style too much besides I think the buses and adding some parks, but I'm hoping to rearrange the lines to make them more aesthetically pleasing, starting with downtown and the SW corridor where I'm doing the same thing I did with my fantasy map by making the OL and GL-E run parallel to each other.
I've been revisiting my map redesign as well! (Great minds think alike.)

One interesting challenge/decision to me is what to do with the Silver Line. So far, I've been opting to create a straight line out of Washington St and -- the Orange Line downtown and then the Silver Line through the South End -- and use that as a primary axis of the map. But I do see the appeal in your approach of simplifying the Orange Line and using it as the axis, and it's one I've experimented with in the past. What is your plan for the Silver Line?

I've been revisiting my map redesign as well! (Great minds think alike.)

One interesting challenge/decision to me is what to do with the Silver Line. So far, I've been opting to create a straight line out of Washington St and -- the Orange Line downtown and then the Silver Line through the South End -- and use that as a primary axis of the map. But I do see the appeal in your approach of simplifying the Orange Line and using it as the axis, and it's one I've experimented with in the past. What is your plan for the Silver Line?
The way the BNRD changes the Washington St routes makes it (As far as I can tell) impossible to reasonably show the Silver Line with a full rapid transit thickness line because it needs to hit Chinatown, DTX, and South Station. Right now I'm planning to use the bus symbology (Which you can see my draft of in the screenshot) for the SL4/5 routes and keeping the full rapid transit line for SL1/2/3.

The only other option I can think of would be using the full thickness line south of Tufts and then making it thinner as it goes through the downtown stops, which I have slightly talked myself into as I've been typing this. I might give it a shot.

For now I'm venturing into GL Branch hell. Wish me luck.

Last edited:
Another interesting question: After the pending accessibility upgrades for the Green Line, how should accessibility be shown on the map? Bowdoin and Boylston will be the last (and only) non-accessible subway stations, and after Red-Blue Connector is done then it will just be Boylston, which has no current plans to make it accessible. Would that finally make it fine to deviate from the norm of only signalling accessibility and not lack of accessibility? If that's the case, should the same standard be applied to the Commuter Rail where more stations are currently not accessible or should the CR stations use the current symbology?

Or what if the definition of accessibility is changed? The Silver Line stations and Mattapan Line stops are all marked as accessible, but maybe they shouldn't be? Would that change the previous conclusion?

Another interesting question: After the pending accessibility upgrades for the Green Line, how should accessibility be shown on the map? Bowdoin and Boylston will be the last (and only) non-accessible subway stations, and after Red-Blue Connector is done then it will just be Boylston, which has no current plans to make it accessible. Would that finally make it fine to deviate from the norm of only signalling accessibility and not lack of accessibility? If that's the case, should the same standard be applied to the Commuter Rail where more stations are currently not accessible or should the CR stations use the current symbology?

Or what if the definition of accessibility is changed? The Silver Line stations and Mattapan Line stops are all marked as accessible, but maybe they shouldn't be? Would that change the previous conclusion?
I think you have a good point on the visuals - after some level of accessibility, the subway map should just say "unless specifically noted, all stations on this map are accessible", and then a handicap symbol w/a prohibitory icon over it for the few exceptions. You don't need the visual clutter of a hundred icons to say the same thing that a handful would.

Definition - I don't think that's the kind of thing a map is suited for. The MBTA has a more detailed accessibility guide for that sort of thing - the map should mostly just indicate if you can use the station in some reasonable fashion in a wheelchair or not.

Maybe if we get to a point (like with basic accessibility) where accessibility is so good that it can be expected you need zero knowledge of how to use it or communication with the operator/staff, then you might start a special symbol for stations that need you to do something vs stations that don't to be able to utilize them. We're not there currently and I don't think we will be for decades if ever. I don't think that there's a meaningful enough difference in the SL/Mattapan Line vs the procedures on some of the other lines/stops to mark them different currently.

Definition - I don't think that's the kind of thing a map is suited for. The MBTA has a more detailed accessibility guide for that sort of thing - the map should mostly just indicate if you can use the station in some reasonable fashion in a wheelchair or not.
I mean should we change the definition of "in some reasonable fashion"? Should the Mattapan Line where you need to specially request a ramp be extended and have the trolley delayed a few minutes really count, or should we tighten up the stations deserving of the symbol to those only where level boarding is regularly accessible without assistance, for example?

I'm unfamiliar with the specifics of the Mattapan Line, but my understanding is that the stations, bar valley road, are already similar to accessible GL stations. If current plans go through though, and Mattapan gets Type 9s, would it be meaningfully different from accessiblity on the Green Line?

are already similar to accessible GL stations.
No, they're not. Because the PCCs are fully high floor, they have a 'stand' which then has a ramp than can be extended out into the trolley. This takes ages though and needs to be individually requested. Once the PCCs are retired though and the Type 9s to to Mattapan then it will be the same.

No, they're not. Because the PCCs are fully high floor, they have a 'stand' which then has a ramp than can be extended out into the trolley. This takes ages though and needs to be individually requested. Once the PCCs are retired though and the Type 9s to to Mattapan then it will be the same.
I probably could have been clearer, but I was only referring to the station platforms. The fleet itself is a barrier that needs to be crossed, but I suppose the essence of what I'm asking is, is accessible boarding entirely reliant on the "mini-highs" and bridge plates? ie, are the platforms and station access and such largely at the old 8in accessible standard, and therefore compatible with the extending on board bridge plates of the type 8s and 9s pending fleet replacement? Or are the platforms at rail height, and therefore inaccessible by GL standards, and thus a type 9 at Mattapan today would actually make that station inaccessible?

I know there's a Mattapan transformation project that's proposing the rebuild of every station, hence the confusion. (Since you're evidently more familiar with it than I, someone once told me there's only 3 functional PCCs? I thought they rebuilt 8 in 2017? Any idea why they never trucked a type 8 or two over? Hopefully, the type 10 procurement goes smoothly and the type 9s can get shifted over.)

Last edited:
ie, are the platforms and station access and such largely at the old 8in accessible standard, and therefore compatible with the extending on board bridge plates
No, they're all at ground level IIRC.
someone once told me there's only 3 functional PCCs?
Wikipedia claims there are 5, I'm not sure how up to date that is. Two are wrecked (you can still go to Mattapan and see them) and probably not going back into service anytime soon, although the Wikipedia article claims that they're trying to get one operational from the parts of two.
Any idea why they never trucked a type 8 or two over?
From what I understand, power and weight. The existing power system couldn't handle modern LRVs (And I believe the line still uses trolley poles/wire rather than pantographs/overhead lines) and the line (and particularly the bridge in the Cedar Grove cemetery) can't handle the weight of newer LRVs either, so it never made sense to update the power system. This work will need to happen for the Type 9s to go into service on the Mattapan Line, I'm not sure what the timeline is.

Last edited:
Here's my first draft of a GL rework. I tried to get Brookline Village lined up with Riverway but I couldn't do it without making the 66 routing a mess. This arrangement keeps the 66 in a straight line and shows the connection at Clevleand Circle at the expense of D branch stop spacing consistency.
1721679748421.png

And I kind of got the Silver Line to look but I'm not sure how I feel about it, thoughts?
1721682121002.png

Last edited:
No, they're all at ground level IIRC.

Wikipedia claims there are 5, I'm not sure how up to date that is. Two are wrecked (you can still go to Mattapan and see them) and probably not going back into service anytime soon, although the Wikipedia article claims that they're trying to get one operational from the parts of two.

From what I understand, power and weight. The existing power system couldn't handle modern LRVs (And I believe the line still uses trolley poles rather than pantographs) and the line (and particularly the bridge in the Cedar Grove cemetery) can't handle the weight of newer LRVs either, so it never made sense to update the power system. This work will need to happen for the Type 9s to go into service on the Mattapan Line, I'm not sure what the timeline is.
Well, the 2007 rebuild clearly wasn't very well thought through then - especially since apparently the ashmont loop needs to come down and doesn't even have a minihigh. That said, I don't see necessarily how the minihigh bridge plate wouldn't be considered mostly akin to a on-board deployable one - as long as the GL has stops that are accessible via bridge plate, I'd give Mattapan the same styling on the map.
Here's my first draft of a GL rework. I tried to get Brookline Village lined up with Riverway but I couldn't do it without making the 66 routing a mess. This arrangement keeps the 66 in a straight line and shows the connection at Clevleand Circle at the expense of D branch stop spacing consistency. View attachment 52971

And I kind of got the Silver Line to look but I'm not sure how I feel about it, thoughts?
View attachment 52972
Three questions;

1, I see you've omitted Fenwood Road and Back of the Hill, in addition to the announced B&C consolidations. Have these been announced?
2) re: the silver line, I'd have concerns about how you'd be able to show the SL4 and SL5 divergence into separate unidirectional loops after Chinatown, with SL 4 going via Boylston and DTX, and SL5 to South Station & Chinatown Gate. Considering that they share the Tufts-Nubian segment, perhaps they should be 2 skinnier silver lines that, when running together, combine to form the thickness of a RT line?
Edit to add
3) I believe one of your aims on this map is paralleling lines, but maybe give BC a flick of straight West or even Northwest after South St/relocated Chestnut Hill? I feel your current styling makes it seem closer to Cleaveland Circle, but this one is purely personal preference.

Last edited:
at the expense of D branch stop spacing consistency.
Given that the D's stop spacing on that segment is geographically much wider than the C, I'd consider it a feature, not a bug.

2) re: the silver line, I'd have concerns about how you'd be able to show the SL4 and SL5 divergence into separate unidirectional loops after Chinatown, with SL 4 going via Boylston and DTX, and SL5 to South Station & Chinatown Gate. Considering that they share the Tufts-Nubian segment, perhaps they should be 2 skinnier silver lines that, when running together, combine to form the thickness of a RT line?
I believe @TheRatmeister is plotting the combined SL4/5 under the bus network redesign, which becomes a single route that terminates at South Station after stopping at DTX, so no concerns with unidirectional loops.

1, I see you've omitted Fenwood Road and Back of the Hill, in addition to the announced B&C consolidations. Have these been announced
The Mission Park/Fenwood Rd consolidation is just a presumption on my part although I think it's quite likely, but Back of the Hill has been 'soft-announced.' In the public meeting on the E branch project they mentioned that S. Huntington is too steep for platforms to be built there, which means BoTH is probably getting the axe.
I'm currently going based on the BNRD which combines SL4/5, but I might try that if I have a go at the current service patterns.
3) I believe one of your aims on this map is paralleling lines, but maybe give BC a flick of straight West or even Northwest after South St/relocated Chestnut Hill? I feel your current styling makes it seem closer to Cleaveland Circle, but this one is purely personal preference.
Good call, I'll probably add a 'west' turn on the B similar to how Riverside is shown on the current official map.

The only other option I can think of would be using the full thickness line south of Tufts and then making it thinner as it goes through the downtown stops, which I have slightly talked myself into as I've been typing this. I might give it a shot.
This is kind of the way I've always thought both SL and GL should be handled. My view is that the surface sections of the GL should be thinner lines, with the trunk at regular thickness. The idea is to indicate there is a service level difference (frequency, speed, station spacing, etc). The Silver Line works somewhat opposite to this, in that the downtown sections are subject to a lower quality of service, with the outer branches being more BRT-like. For this reason, the thin lines would be downtown, and the thick ones would be in the South End/Roxbury, the Transit Way, and the Chelsea branch.

This is kind of the way I've always thought both SL and GL should be handled. My view is that the surface sections of the GL should be thinner lines, with the trunk at regular thickness. The idea is to indicate there is a service level difference (frequency, speed, station spacing, etc). The Silver Line works somewhat opposite to this, in that the downtown sections are subject to a lower quality of service, with the outer branches being more BRT-like. For this reason, the thin lines would be downtown, and the thick ones would be in the South End/Roxbury, the Transit Way, and the Chelsea branch.
I personally think Green should be separately color coded by end-to-end segments, as is more common in European designations. Sharing a tunnel is not the same as being the same end-to-end line.

I personally think Green should be separately color coded by end-to-end segments, as is more common in European designations. Sharing a tunnel is not the same as being the same end-to-end line.
I don't know that all of them need to be separated, but the E line should be (D too if routed alone the Hunting Ave subway). This all does beg the question: what lines should be green? The part that arguably most lives up to the emerald necklace designation is the D line from Fenway to Brookline Village and we are constantly talking about eliminating that part.

Back