The Quinn (née The Berkeley) | 370-380 Harrison Ave | South End

I definitely prefer the new version. It is a better transitional design between the warehouses of SoWa and the new Ink Block area. The glass and the pass through make it seem less massive in my opinion.

The original reminded me way too much of the Transportation Building, and its gross overuse of the red brick Boston motif.

Last edited:
I like that in the second iteration that the brink masses are speaking to the other brick context at the same scale and the glass box does its best to look "light" and outside of the context. Its a nice read. I will put my hat in the ring for "likes the second one better"

cca

Whats so bad about the second version? Neither was a jaw dropper. I think both look fine and the newer one just looks more modern with the glass above the brick like a warehouse reno.

What material do you think that is on the ground floor of the new renders? Any chance for limestone?

Put me in the "new one" camp, though I liked the old windows better.

I really wish they would add more density in this area.... it seems to me the new restaurants, grocery store and businesses in Ink Block are taking business away from nearby restaurants and businesses.

Whats so bad about the second version? Neither was a jaw dropper. I think both look fine and the newer one just looks more modern with the glass above the brick like a warehouse reno.

If the glass is reminiscent of Lovejoy Wharf it could be pretty nice. Maybe it's just the renders but the glass reminded me more of the YMCA tower we just got on Huntington. (which includes lots of gray precast posing as glass)

Since these are the same guys who did Lovejoy I'll try to have a little more faith in the final product.

Hello VE. Could of been great by taking advantage of the new zoning in regards to height. Like DZH22 was saying, could of been great like Lovejoy, or perhaps even One Greenway. This whole neighborhood has been VE'd to death. I don't expect anything else.

And I thought what was already under construction in this area was a lot. This and the Leggat parcels' approval tonight will add even more. Right on, South End.

She's a'coming down
4nuac63.jpg

With some Lovejoy Wharf level of quality this would be great.

Has anyone seen any updated renders on this? I know they made some changes. The links and photos in this thread go back to the original proposal two years ago.

(also even if I found them, I have no idea how to post photos)

Wow. I looked a few pages back at the "updated" rendering and we will be getting offset windows. Party time.

NYC gets 220 CPS, 30 Park Place, Abington House and Boston gets this?
I will say that I checked out Abington House and the fit and finish of the exterior and interior is quite good.

Harrison-Albany Corridor

134. Inc Block residences 1st phase/South End 315 units 549,000 sq ft (2018)

135. 89 E Dedham St/660 Harrison/ "Harrison-Albany Block"/ South End 710 residential units 700,000 sq ft (demo/site prep)

136. 345 Harrison Ave/South End 12 stories 560 units 515,000 sq ft 160' (cladding)

137. 370-380 Harrison Ave (The Berkeley)/South End 273 units 356,000 sq ft 14 stories (demo/site prep)

http://www.bostonplans.org/projects/development-projects/370-380-harrison-avenue

pnfs

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/b7fdd3ff-8821-4d7e-a7a2-d85a13b1d560

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/18022782-ad09-48b2-ae13-788aa0ff47d0

138. 321 Harrison Ave/South End 220,000 sq ft 160' (approved 15 Sept, 2016).

139. 600 Harrison Ave/The Girard/South End 193 units 200,000 sq ft (2017)

140. Boston Med Ctr/ambulatory care bldg/South End 240,000 sq ft (2017)

It's amazing how this little area has transformed from what it was 25 years ago. I remember parking my car down there to visit customers down there in the early 2000's and being propositioned by hookers in broad daylight. Now it is coffee shops and yoga studios. Fantastic.

Groan...another one of "those" buildings. I'm so sick of glass towers sheathed at the bottom with fake-looking brick facades to "hide" what's obviously an unimaginative block of nothing.

Back