The St Regis Residences (former Whiskey Priest site) | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

I don't think the street-facing or waterfront sides are that bad, and the last side wheel boring looks to be mostly blocked by the building next to it, so it's not a big deal in my mind.

The faceted facade is the winner. I know that the wall against Pier 4 is the vertical circulation, but the cantilevered part is not as graceful as the faceted side. The sliders on the water side still bug me.

The thought of this design twisting up to 800' is incredible. Although, for this particular project that would be no sooner than a 2029 delivery. Literally.

Saw the sun rise today.

IMG_2582.JPG

Ouch… this building has a good side and a few meh sides.
East facade A+
South facade C+
West facade C-
North facade B-

I fear that the majority of people will only see the east facade from the rear view mirror.

52248365833_58b28bf681_b.jpg

Kind of disappointed that the mirrored, faceted glass is bending shapes and creating distorted reflections.

are you speaking to the glass quality, or the physical orientation of the facets?
Both. The glass is highly reflective, and the faceted angles are acting as a lens. The physics of optics are far, far above my paygrade
Snell's law allows to find the slope of an optical surface needed to redirect a given incoming ray into a given outgoing ray. Since a prism comprises two surfaces the problem of redirecting one ray with a prism is underdetermined. In a range of situations it is possible to determine a prism such as to simultaneously match two given incoming rays into two given output rays. This allows to tailor 2D Fresnel optics for finite sources and targets. If source and target subtend equal angles as seen from the Fresnel lens, then the facets are symmetric resembling the minimum deviation configuration, which also minimizes chromatic aberration based an the dispersion in the material of the lens.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/260969342_Tailored_Fresnel_optics_II_the_facets

Every time I walk by I think they took influence from the Whiskey Priest drunken vision... The walls are leaning!

Back