The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

We're not getting supertalls, but the city's skyline is definitely changing and its exciting to see! Great shots bee, especially the one from government center

Love it. The residential tower is basically as nice as the lovely Big Fatty coming in 2 years.

If each could have gone 50~60 feet higher, it would have achieved a perfect 10/10 outcome,

thanks to the overall project w/ the other buildings coming later.

The contrarian in me wants to pipe up and say that the garage is not the worst thing to happen to this city. It's cool in a metabolist sort of way--reminds me of walking under the building that rings Kottbusser Tor in Berlin on the Adalbertstrasse. That being said, I won't shed a tear to see it go.

Last edited:
It's cool in a metabolist sort of way...

Taken purely as a "construct," I also find its scale and method of assembly quite fascinating. It falls loosely into the same category as blast furnaces, mine shaft head-frames, and rocket gantries. It's an artifact of (old) New Boston, a city (and era) with wildly different modes of aspirational expression; today, it's being eroded by current aspirations.

It has no place in our densifying urban fabric. Building on your reference to the Metabolist Movement, part of me thinks its dismantling is as its designers intended.

Interesting thoughts on Metabolist...

I'll be glad when it is gone, the replacement buildings are just gravy.

The land-scraping parallel on Sudbury Street to the JFK Building reinforces the disruption to the historical urban fabric. I appreciate the JFK complex, but don't love the low rise, and the garage just takes it all too far. What I loathe is the upended Jersey barrier, Lincoln Logs pile that it is, and can be seen from so many points downtown. It really dumbs down City Hall. Look left, and it's a ziggurat of concrete made worse in the 80's by adding more floors.. look right.. it is one of the most noted, yet maligned, buildings of 20th century architecture. Guilt by association.

Once it's gone, I think people will finally see the JFK and City Hall shine on their own. Maybe the State Services Building too. Now if we could just do something about City Hall Plaza...

Last edited:
I luv when they poke up over the skyline and make their location known.

Theres nothing tall around it either... no hill, tall brick buildings, this thing is gonna look huge next to JFK and with almost all of the tower visible on its own.

This was basically my friends snapchat from yesterday. Amazing view!

Thanks for the great photos. I didn't realize how prominent this location was. I cant wait to see the office tower rise, the Residential tower alone is going to have a great impact.

Thanks for the great photos. I didn't realize how prominent this location was. I cant wait to see the office tower rise, the Residential tower alone is going to have a great impact.

Me neither! Great pics - goddam, after a decade, now we’re getting somewhere!

The residential may come out better than the office tower. It looks great from the front but may not be the most flattering from others, plus its more blue glass. The res is a curtain wall like nothing else really in Boston.

Theyre both nice, just dont sleep on the res
https://treetop100babynames.com/

Last edited:
^^Ha finally! of course it does. But will you convince the others? i'm actually just messin'. They both will probably look nice. But this one has been slow to get the love. Its so sexy a/r might look better than 1 Congress from some angles.

Tower Stockholm Syndrome.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH3ruuml-R4

Last edited:
The residential may come out better than the office tower. It looks great from the front but may not be the most flattering from others, plus its more blue glass. The res is a curtain wall like nothing else really in Boston.

I agree, but it's worth remembering that the new 'Verizon' tower will block out (for better or worse) half of the 'fatty' side of the forthcoming-Congress Tower from this angle.

I agree, but it's worth remembering that the new 'Verizon' tower will block out (for better or worse) half of the 'fatty' side of the forthcoming-Congress Tower from this angle.

haha, but who's gonna even see it from this angle unless you're in a helicopter? Seriously, both towers will be awesome, and most people will see them from street level. And please, no fat shaming. Not cool. ;)

That view is actually possible from the Bunker Hill monument observation deck in the left of the picture. But yea they really need to show more realistic views than the drone shots.

Edit: I found the ground level side on shot again with some digging.
view+05_FINAL.jpg

This is a MASSIVE upgrade.
DxmkfpdWoAAoSnR.jpg

Last edited:
No. They don't need to show more renders.

They need it to go 650'.

might look better than 1 Congress from some angles.

Ned said:
Let me see if i understand you correctly; you're almost saying 50 Sudbury is the 3rd best tall building of this insane cycle?

Not almost. It's exactly what i'm sayin'.

*the Ned quote is fake. i'm using his legend as a shill for self-aggrandizement.

Next, the Fatty becomes the nimby sounding board threatening development for a half century.

And please, no fat shaming. Not cool. ;)

LOL..

By the time it's rising, it will already be pretty well surrounded by other new construction (which is kind of amazing if you think about it). The south will be blocked by the residential tower, and north by everything happening at North Station. The Greenway and Charles get the narrow sides, set back from Greenway and the north slope of Beacon Hill. Save New Chardon and a bit of Cambridge Street, the street view is pretty crowded already. The distant views, it will be a tree among the forest of other buildings.

Back