The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

I consider myself pretty good at visualizing the crazy geometry of Boston's streets, but was incredibly surprised when I first saw this vantage from Martha Road - I would have placed the tower much farther to the right in this image than it actually is... I guess, owing to the fact that Merrimac slopes much more the the left/east than it seems. Just an interesting experience to realize this from a wayfinding perspective.

I wouldn't consider anything in Boston to be "supertall".

Wikipedia (not the best source I know) defines super-tall to be over 600 meters.

hmm, i believe that would be a megatall.

i consider a supertall to be >300 meters or about >985'.
others say >1000'.

hmm, i believe that would be a megatall.

i consider a supertall to be >300 meters or about >985'.
others say >1000'.

This is correct. Supertall is 300m, which is 984'. Used in a sentence: "Boston will never build a supertall."

I wouldn't consider anything in Boston to be "supertall".
Perhaps not, but this definition you cite is complete nonsense.
Wikipedia (not the best source I know) defines super-tall to be over 600 meters.

List of super tall buildings per above definition:

• Burj Khalifa
  • Shanghai Tower
  • Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower
And that's it. Willis Tower? Not super tall. Empire State Building? Not super tall, etc. I think the definition needs some work.

Perhaps not, but this definition you cite is complete nonsense.

List of super tall buildings per above definition:

• Burj Khalifa
  • Shanghai Tower
  • Abraj Al-Bait Clock Tower
And that's it. Willis Tower? Not super tall. Empire State Building? Not super tall, etc. I think the definition needs some work.

Supertalls are buildings between 300-600m. Tysmith accidentally misquoted the height from wikipedia. In this case, yes Willis and the ESB are supertalls but they are not megatalls which are structures greater than 600m.

Some trivia, the label of supertall and megatall actually came from skyscrapercity that the ctbuh ended up adopting. The advent of the terminology I think came around 2006 or so when the construction of the Burj Khalifa sparked interest in "super" tall towers.

Tall-Supertall-Megatall.jpg

Link to first usage of Megatall:
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=521401&page=3

Just to add to this, on skyscrapercity a "skyscraper" means 200m+. That means Boston is now up to 4 skyscrapers with 1 more in prep and 1 more pending.

You can now see this thing from the Anna’s on Cambridge Street. I wasn’t expecting this tower to be anywhere near as prominently visible as it has been shaping up to be... it’s visible from so many places in the city that currently have no height, and I think this may wind up thereby being one of the most influential towers built in a very long time.

You can now see this thing from the Anna’s on Cambridge Street. I wasn’t expecting this tower to be anywhere near as prominently visible as it has been shaping up to be... it’s visible from so many places in the city that currently have no height, and I think this may wind up thereby being one of the most influential towers built in a very long time.

^Indeed; for instance, from the BU Bridge (I took this on 4/23):

uRRQWkMh.jpg

This is much more svelte than I had pictured. I like it!

The city really needs to sell that police station lot and let a developer build a new one.

Nice pics Beeline, particularly that last one!

This tower is right around 300' at the moment. For scale, it's basically the size of the Kensington or W-Hotel. It has surpassed the Seaport and should have just broken into Boston's top 75.

Back