The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

i didn't know there was a competition to win or lose, but im sorry if i offended. i don't believe YOU are stupid, but i stand by my assertion that reducing an important work by a renowned architect to "negative impact" is pretty dumb. i don't personally dig on most of picasso's work, but i wouldn't be so naive as to declare them to be "negative."

This is a list that put City Hall as the #1 best building the city. So, yeah, "eyeroll" is 100% appropriate when it comes to this list.

By the way, the #5 building on that list is now slated for demolition. The Boston Landmarks Commission calls it one of the "most notable commercial buildings of the early 20th century." Too bad they didn't do more to try saving it.
The Berkeley Building is slated for demo? When did this come about? In the not too recent past it was entirely restored to its original splendor. This must be an error!

Last edited:
The Berkeley Building is slated for demo? When did this come about? In the not to recent past it was entirely restored to its original splendor. This must be an error!

Is this different from Shreve Crump and Lowe? Can we get a side by side picture comparison? I'm confused.

Not the same building. The Shreve building is on the corner of Boylston and Arlington, the Berkeley is on the corner of Boylston and... Berkeley.

Somebody in the know, please look at #5. Is this the Berkeley Building, or did they mess up and this is really Shreve Crump and Low?

Somebody in the know, please look at #5. Is this the Berkeley Building, or did they mess up and this is really Shreve Crump and Low?

This is the Berkeley not Shreve Crump and Low.
We have two major buildings locally referred to as the Berkeley.
This is the Berkeley (#5) on the list.
Berkeley-Building-1-of-1 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

And this is the second Berkeley which is (#32) on the list. Also referred to as the Old John Hancock Bldg.

Old-John-Hancock-1-of-1-e1532358513257 by Bos Beeline, on Flickr

Last edited:
11.20 -
D34E1082-5BB2-4786-BAE9-E980273AEB2C.jpeg

22C53C98-4E6F-4DDA-A80B-4024D9521FDC.jpeg
84D7F4A8-D8AC-42AD-BC09-3DC9F9582057.jpeg
E8722E53-7CCC-4193-8600-508FF951696F.jpeg
46CBBE75-509C-4CAE-8C58-5024AFBDCBEF.jpeg

^ I always love seeing the sight lines that each new building ends up in. Its always cool when a new building takes up residence in a popular one too. This is a cool one.

Last edited:
What is the purpose of that yellow "Preston Rentals" balcony sticking out near the top? I see these sticking out all over buildings going up.

What is the purpose of that yellow "Preston Rentals" balcony sticking out near the top? I see these sticking out all over buildings going up.

I believe these are just landing pads for the crane to drop off on different floors.

Back