The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

I remember how I used to say that when you look at a picture of the Boston skyline, you wouldn't be able to tell if it was taken in the 80s or in the present because nothing really change. The addition of the new towers at the northern end of Boston really has changed that.

+MT, +1 Dalton
Here's an amazing thought. If South Station Tower is indeed built, along with Winthrop Square and new State Street HQ, then 5 of Boston's 10 tallest buildings will have been constructed in THIS BOOM! That's serious!

^^Meanwhile up at Skyline City, the wildlife is restless;
raider-Skyscraper City said:
meh, at least its (SST) glass, we don't have a lot of that (still). Another boring addition to the flat, boring skyline

Have we a homer problem at aB? Naw. Occasionally, an aB poster not called 'odurandina' will cross the Sinai and drop a hint, albeit in a neutered way.

To quote former NFL coach, Bill Parcells, "You Are What the Scoreboard Says You Are..." (for Boston, insert what 'the public' says you are/ Parcells stole it from Lombardi). Boston's density is stretched out. Our peculiar skyline defies all but its most astute explorers to root out its height and depth, including most angles in and out of Logan (get a drone up near Cleveland Circle with a well-equipped camera).... Going tall at Hub O.C. and Govt Center could have helped. The spire, (wondrous as it is) is still fairly underwhelming--missing (perhaps) a few metric tons of steel, and another 80 or 90 feet of boldness.
Btw, we haven't built a spire since, like 1815?
*ok, really it's 1915--
**the old JHT (nigh a 3/4 century old) isn't exactly a beacon of light, as sexy spires go.

A few proposed towers showing promise of moving forward + approved finally going u/c (all construction >150') will go far, most prominently with the depth + pedestrian experience. Kenmore rising, is nice, etc. But height overall, is elusive......

Last edited:
+MT, +1 Dalton
Here's an amazing thought. If South Station Tower is indeed built, along with Winthrop Square and new State Street HQ, then 5 of Boston's 10 tallest buildings will have been constructed in THIS BOOM! That's serious!

And, One Bromfield was just refinanced and rumor has it is getting an overhaul of the design. At 709', that would push it to 6/11 constructed during this cycle. I'm hopeful it will be constructed as the development team seems determined. This project (Bulfinch Complex) however, I see as the most transformative as it will connect the West End, Govt center, Haymarket, North End, and the Financial District!

I remember how I used to say that when you look at a picture of the Boston skyline, you wouldn't be able to tell if it was taken in the 80s or in the present because nothing really change. The addition of the new towers at the northern end of Boston really has changed that.
Kent and just think how the southern view will be changing in the next couple of years -- as at least 2 major towers scrape-the-lower-cloud-deck -- whether one is approaching from the air, from the harbor, or even the Expressway from Quincy - - South Station and Winthrop will beckon [Beacon?] one into the New Tech District [formerly the Financial District] -- increasingly the home of Analog Devices, Luminoso, VMWare, CloudHealth Technologies, Grubhub, Spotify, Twitter -- to name a few well known names

And, One Bromfield was just refinanced and rumor has it is getting an overhaul of the design. At 709', that would push it to 6/11 constructed during this cycle.

I am certainly not an insider, but, reading between the lines of the media coverage of how the BPDA rejected the One Bromfield proposal, I can see no way that the upcoming resubmission, whenever it happens, would be anywhere near that 709 feet you're citing:

https://www.bizjournals.com/boston/real_estate/2016/07/bra-sends-59-story-one-bromfield-tower-design-back.html

“Based directly on the community feedback heard, the BRA has asked the proponent to consider revisions to the project,” said Christopher Tracy, senior project manager with the BRA, in a June 30 email to those involved with the project so far. “We have asked them to focus on the points brought up by community members including, but not limited to, height, transportation, operational logistics and street scape.”

The very first criteria the BPDA (then BRA) cited as being in need of revision was height.

Thus, in my mind, 709 feet for round 2 (I guess 3, technically, since the original proposal crashed during the 2007-90 recession)? A pipe dream...

Always sad to see the Big Cranes leave :cry::cry:😭 -- of course that is progress --- and soon new Big Cranes will arrive :cry: -- even unto this very site for the State Street Tower

Last edited by a moderator:
The glassier top really pulled this thing together. I think it came out great... and this is only the warm up to the main event.

Speaking of glass
It's time for a list: Look at all this glass!! holy _____!!!
Downtown's getting an infusion in glass in ways we can barely comprehend.....

1. Winthrop Square West Tower 691' glass
2. Millennium Tower 685' (2016) glass
3. South Station Tower 677' glass!
4. 1 Congress 601' you get the idea!
5. Harbor Garage 600' (do you all love glass?)
6. Winthrop Square East Tower 579' it's glass!
7. 50 Sudbury 547' --
(not glass--but the skin skillfully enriches the garage & JFK Fed plaza)
8. 1 Post Office Square 516' glass!
9. Tub on Causeway Office 510' glass
10. Hub on Causeway Residential 496' glass
11. Garden Garage 485' lots of glass
12. Avalon Nashua St 449' (2016) nice quantity of glass
13. Atlantic Wharf 436' (2012) lots of glass.
14. 125 Lincoln St 370' looks a lot of glass
15. Congress Garage Residential #2 342' glass?
16. Hook Lobster 305' looks to be more glass
17. Lovejoy Wharf 215' (2017) brick w/ some glass
18. 104 Canal 190' definitely brick
19. Dock Square regular curtain wall - anyone know how tall is the final approval?
20. 55 India ~180' trying to hard to be 'something' curtain wall
21. Valenti Square hotel 164' regular curtain wall
22. Congress Garage #4 ?
23. Congress Garage #5 ?
24. Congress Garage #6 ?
25. Haymarket Hotel brick
26. North End piazza definitely brick

Whigh,
This is a lot of fill for the Greenway.
The mid-2020's reveal Downtown coming out of a decades long sleep.
It's going to be quite a thing to behold in ways we can barely comprehend.

Room along the Greenway for about a dozen of buildings of that size -- 12 to 15 stories right along the Greenway is appropriate for the width of the strip

Last edited:
Speaking of glass
It's time for a list: Look at all this glass!! holy _____!!!
Downtown's getting an infusion in glass in ways we can barely comprehend.....

1. Winthrop Square West Tower 691' glass
2. Millennium Tower 685' (2016) glass
3. South Station Tower 677' glass!
4. 1 Congress 601' you get the idea!
5. Harbor Garage 600' (do you all love glass?)
6. Winthrop Square East Tower 579' it's glass!
7. 50 Sudbury 547' --
(not glass--but the skin skillfully enriches the garage & JFK Fed plaza)
8. 1 Post Office Square 516' glass!
9. Tub on Causeway Office 510' glass
10. Hub on Causeway Residential 496' glass
11. Garden Garage 485' lots of glass
12. Avalon Nashua St 449' (2016) nice quantity of glass
13. Atlantic Wharf 436' (2012) lots of glass.
14. 125 Lincoln St 370' looks a lot of glass
15. Congress Garage Residential #2 342' glass?
16. Hook Lobster 305' looks to be more glass
17. Lovejoy Wharf 215' (2017) brick w/ some glass
18. 104 Canal 190' definitely brick
19. Dock Square regular curtain wall - anyone know how tall is the final approval?
20. 55 India ~180' trying to hard to be 'something' curtain wall
21. Valenti Square hotel 164' regular curtain wall
22. Congress Garage #4 ?
23. Congress Garage #5 ?
24. Congress Garage #6 ?
25. Haymarket Hotel brick
26. North End piazza definitely brick

Whigh,
This is a lot of fill for the Greenway.
The mid-2020's reveal Downtown coming out of a decades long sleep.
It's going to be quite a thing to behold in ways we can barely comprehend.

Odurandina -- my point was not that there was not a need and desire for some glass tall towers -- it was that to complete the Greenway at Street Level [as a "Hallway" in the city] there needs to be about a dozen or so varied and individual 12 to 15 story buildings providing a sort of consistent street wall

Most of your list while a useful reference page is not directly on the Greenway and so is not relevant to the discussion

757B13C3-1097-4C32-A960-19647AB092CD.jpeg
096C873E-2F17-4FEB-83D4-871BF71EB8E1.jpeg
C1EFDFBB-867A-4E76-9243-815FB379668B.jpeg
0B6909CC-ABF9-4C2E-89FB-CCD207B39E13.jpeg
DBA6C819-A609-4F31-82F3-EA2EDA6FDE60.jpeg
5837E201-EA26-4FA7-B117-997CEF6BD9A1.jpeg
2C9675C5-8F57-48CE-A613-4F6D8BCECAC6.jpeg

Most of your list while a useful reference page is not directly on the Greenway.
Very perceptive.
and so is not relevant to the discussion
Not relevant if i was only speaking about the Greenway. But, i was covering 2 using 1, responding to

1. Stick about the new tall glass filling the wide area of the Downtown zone, and how tall the glass will be.

2. Whigh how so much of that height (irrespective of curtain wall type) will fill the Greenway w/ heights included for a quick reference vs your suggestion of desirable massings.

Your post from the other thread offered a slight suggestion of a lack of awareness of what's actually planned--so i beamed it up to the bridge (here).

The Greenway's lines of sight, and open amphitheater theme will offer generous views of the numerous glass towers (including 50 Sudbury & 1 Congress) that will redefine the appearance of the Downtown zone over its large expanse (from the West End & Financial District, clearway across the MCD--and our perceptions of it from all over the City...
The main theme of my post--all that glass.

Last edited:
Really impressive building
It has some of that confidence that Boston misses from the 1920s skyscrapers.

I was just in New York and this part of town is starting to feel like the Upper East Side. No its not. Actually, my comparison has to do with the the idea that the North Station area, with its now 6 resi towers (I'm not counting them here), is BEGINNING to feel more like the Upper East side, where living on the 12th floor of some random tower is actually just what random average people do.

Back