The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

I'd have to respectfully disagree, yes, there may be some who might like the proximity to their suites and that there is a certain grittiness here but the immediate neighborhood is a disadvantage. A number of buyers resold at Millennium Tower for this same reason, nobody wants to step over drunks or vomit when they take their kids to school in the morning. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable having my wife take the dog out for a walk at night in either of these locations. If I was spending millions, there are certainly much safer and more attractive locations in the City.
Vivanna -- remember that you need the proper context for these condo's and apartments
No one would like to live in any of the comparably expensive Seaport Square buildings if they had just been plopped-down in the Seaport circa 1995

The area around the "Sudbury" is a construction zone which soon will be one end of a strip with State Street Bank HQ on one end and Verizon major pretense on the other. To cater to the people who will work in these places as well as to complement new high-end retail which will populate the Bulfinch Crossing development and are in the process of populating the Hub on Causeway -- there will be an entire new ethos in the surrounding streets such as Canal, etc.

Come back 2025 and let's see how it all played-out

Vivanna -- remember that you need the proper context for these condo's and apartments
No one would like to live in any of the comparably expensive Seaport Square buildings if they had just been plopped-down in the Seaport circa 1995

The area around the "Sudbury" is a construction zone which soon will be one end of a strip with State Street Bank HQ on one end and Verizon major pretense on the other. To cater to the people who will work in these places as well as to complement new high-end retail which will populate the Bulfinch Crossing development and are in the process of populating the Hub on Causeway -- there will be an entire new ethos in the surrounding streets such as Canal, etc.

Come back 2025 and let's see how it all played-out
I agree that things can change dramatically with major developments such as these but the key differentiation, as I see it, is public transportation. This is probably a discussion for another thread but the areas around our T hubs, South Station, North Station, Back Bay Station, Downtown Crossing are all areas that attract (not sure how to say this PC) people that are less fortunate than most.

I thought Millennium Tower and the new retail momentum in Downtown Crossing would change this but it didn't, just as the Ritz in Chinatown made the area better but it's still very 'gritty' (and unsafe). Beacon Hill, Back Bay (high end residential area from Newbury to the Charles) and Seaport never had these issues to begin with and hence are substantially more attractive areas for the very wealthy to live with their families.

As I said, probably a discussion for another thread around social inequity, public health, etc.

the Ritz in Chinatown made the area better but it's still very 'gritty' (and unsafe).

Seedy, maybe. There are very few areas of downtown Boston that are "unsafe" based on crime stats. Boston is remarkably safe from a "random crime" perspective. Most violent crime is within marginalized groups such as the homeless or neighborhood gangs. DTX and Chinatown have a lot of loiterers, but they rarely bother pedestrians in a way that I'd consider unsafe.

Seedy, maybe. There are very few areas of downtown Boston that are "unsafe" based on crime stats. Boston is remarkably safe from a "random crime" perspective. Most violent crime is within marginalized groups such as the homeless or neighborhood gangs. DTX and Chinatown have a lot of loiterers, but they rarely bother pedestrians in a way that I'd consider unsafe.
Probably true regarding 'Crime Stats' I should have said areas that 'feel' unsafe to most people, obviously very subjective but probably accurate when talking about potential $3M condo buyers

The prices for condos may seem high, but will probably appreciate over the longer term, like most real estate in hot cities. However, there are no real comps in the area, unless you go over to MT, which is sort of a different neighborhood, so it is hard to say what the price "should" be.

Probably true regarding 'Crime Stats' I should have said areas that 'feel' unsafe to most people, obviously very subjective but probably accurate when talking about potential $3M condo buyers

Seems like you’re trying to sway people toward Back Bay and Beacon Hill properties with unfounded fear mongering. Care to disclose which broker you work for? These properties never would have been developed if there were legitimate safety concerns that would scare off buyers.

Last edited:
Seems like you’re trying to sway people toward Back Bay and Beacon Hill properties with unfounded fear mongering. Care to disclose which broker you work for? These properties never would have been developed if there were legitimate safety concerns that would scare off buyers.
Not a broker, just expressing my opinion that this location is a disadvantage when selling $3M+ condos. You're entitled to disagree, no need for accusations.

I hate to say it as we need more housing though not as much as this type but maybe they should have built the other parts of this project so that by the time this res tower opens there would be more things in the area that would cater to those residents who will live there.

Also less of a construction zone would probably help.

All that aside though there is a lot worse neighborhoods than the Haymarket/North Station area since all these new buildings were built and the highway being buried.

CB1041AA-E61D-4EA3-AE5A-59BF04EC0F6D.jpeg
36F3E6B5-AE41-45FE-8AE7-3F0FC6C79ECB.jpeg
915994B8-AF00-42FA-86E6-190CCB7C7616.jpeg

this tower is such a champ. while it was going up, i was a little annoyed that it was clearly going to fully block my skyline view of the custom house tower as i drive inbound on mcgrath, but now that the exterior is essentially done, i'm fine with that change!

These pics remind me how much I dislike the JFK building. It could use a similar makeover as One Post Office Square, or better, raze it and build something 2x taller in its place.

^ I love finding all the new sightlines that new towers show up in that you didnt get in renders. Pretty awesome seeing what changes after each new tower.

That angle above I never would have thought that there was an angle that puts this tower farthest out on the skyline past the harbor towers.

Back