The Sudbury (Bulfinch Crossing Residential Tower) | 50 Sudbury St | GCG Phase I | Gov't Center

I was just in New York and this part of town is starting to feel like the Upper East Side. No its not. Actually, my comparison has to do with the the idea that the North Station area, with its now 6 resi towers (I'm not counting them here), is BEGINNING to feel more like the Upper East side, where living on the 12th floor of some random tower is actually just what random average people do.

my tax-bracket is apparently well below "random, average people" -- no way i could afford to live on the 12th floor of any of those towers (i'd love to, though!).

The Sudbury has a sharp and stately mid-century look, confident and uncluttered. For me, so much unlike the two towers at the Hub on Causeway, which I'm happy with but they could have had cleaner lines..

agreed ^^^. overall, i think hub on causeway is a great improvement for that neighborhood, but the residential tower, in particular, is fugly as hell. makes the avalon north station tower look downright regal.

Got my first good look at this on Saturday, pretty much from every viewing angle. And I know I'm just repeating what others have already said, but this building doesn't translate well to pictures. I mean it looks good in all the pics people have been posting, but it looks down right spectacular in person. And it also really dominates that whole area of the city (in a good way), and never looks too fat. What stands out is verticality and multi-faceted cladding. Really a big win for Boston.

I just drove down memorial drive for the first time since this was more than a few floors, and it really fills in the skyline, i didnt realize how little there was, and how much better it looks now that its filled in.

Got my first good look at this on Saturday, pretty much from every viewing angle. And I know I'm just repeating what others have already said, but this building doesn't translate well to pictures. I mean it looks good in all the pics people have been posting, but it looks down right spectacular in person. And it also really dominates that whole area of the city (in a good way), and never looks too fat. What stands out is verticality and multi-faceted cladding. Really a big win for Boston.
We need to get some of our intrepid photo-o-philes to get over to Piers Park -- that's the best counterpart to Pier 4 to shoot something downtown
End of Long Wharf is another great vantage point for downtown skylines

Not surprised at the price. It's all about........Location! Location! Location!
I think the location will be its biggest challenge, not many $5M buyers want to walk out to the dross around North Station every day when they could be in Back Bay, Seaport or a Beacon Hill Brownstone.

I think the location will be its biggest challenge, not many $5M buyers want to walk out to the dross around North Station every day when they could be in Back Bay, Seaport or a Beacon Hill Brownstone.
Vivanna -- some $5M condo buyers also have suites at TD Garden -- they might very well want to walk to whatever event is of interest

Besides for every one selling for $5.5M there are probably are 10 or more selling for $3.5M

they may not be immediately drawn to "the dross," as you put it, but i can imagine plenty of well-heeled types who'd be thrilled to be able to walk out their front door and stroll along the greenway, walk to the waterfront, meander around the north end, or even (shudder) stroll around fanueil hall. plus it's not like it's all that much of a hike to boston common and plenty of other stuff. i really don't see this location as being any type of challenge -- it's an absolute selling point.

Yes.
A few of us prognosticated 2, 3 years ago,
this might end up being the more beloved of the (2).

In that last shot above:
SST, Winthrop Sq and Central Wharf will give that angle an infusion of 'wow.'
'
they may not be immediately drawn to "the dross," as you put it, but i can imagine plenty of well-heeled types who'd be thrilled to be able to walk out their front door and.......
Life is good at 181 Freemont too.

they may not be immediately drawn to "the dross," as you put it, but i can imagine plenty of well-heeled types who'd be thrilled to be able to walk out their front door and stroll along the greenway, walk to the waterfront, meander around the north end, or even (shudder) stroll around fanueil hall. plus it's not like it's all that much of a hike to boston common and plenty of other stuff. i really don't see this location as being any type of challenge -- it's an absolute selling point.

I'd have to respectfully disagree, yes, there may be some who might like the proximity to their suites and that there is a certain grittiness here but the immediate neighborhood is a disadvantage. A number of buyers resold at Millennium Tower for this same reason, nobody wants to step over drunks or vomit when they take their kids to school in the morning. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable having my wife take the dog out for a walk at night in either of these locations. If I was spending millions, there are certainly much safer and more attractive locations in the City.

my tax-bracket is apparently well below "random, average people" -- no way i could afford to live on the 12th floor of any of those towers (i'd love to, though!).
I am not in these brackets either. It's just the notion that if you are to live downtown in Boston these days, the new average normal seems to be people who have plenty of money and choose to live in some random tower, like the upper east side. Living in "The Sudbury", means nothing to anybody, even though it will be the second tallest all residential building in the city.

Back