The Victor | 110 Beverly Street | West End

Re: The Victor

^ Isn't this building going to have a good bit of retail?

This building actually looks really nice from 93S on your way into the tunnel. The glass is nice. (I'm not defending the superblock, lack of urbanism, or facade as a whole by any means) Obviously, this is sadly the complete opposite of the effect buildings should have, as the focus should be on the pedestrian and street engagement.

^ Noticed the same thing driving into town yesterday. I didn't recognize the building at first... all of the precast is out of view coming over the Zakim.

I think it looks a lot worse in person. The lighter color is absolutely horrid and the corrugated look is mostly unappealing.

holy god someone please tell me theyre covering that exposed parking garage on the side

I think it looks a lot worse in person. The lighter color is absolutely horrid and the corrugated look is mostly unappealing.

Agreed. The brick and glass is alright, but it's the precast and that putrid color that bungle the thing for me.

Victor and Avenir:

9521767030_57cae9ed0b_b.jpg

9521761834_b2fca6e73f_b.jpg

9521757274_c1fe1de545_b.jpg

9518966231_12cc6377d1_b.jpg

9518961361_939e2a5a52_b.jpg

9521741070_fc77bd27a9_b.jpg

9521736514_977654c43d_b.jpg

9518916973_68ce3fb200_b.jpg

9521707070_2b85bb04b4_b.jpg

It looks ... nice. Not "city nice," but maybe "Station Landing Nice."

It's fine for an infill project. Once the street is fully built out, you will only really see the front and rear, which in it's context is fine. You'll never really see the underwhelming sides beyond the street level.

This is a totally fine fabric building. It doesn't shout ... and it is not at all offensive. Nice job.

cca

I never understood all the hate. They are spec buildings, contemporary counterparts to what's in the neighborhood already. They have as good, if not better interaction with the street as the older stock there. Everything above the first floor is most likely better. The streets are so narrow that once the area is built out you will never be able to fully take in their landscraper form, which is a big plus. They are small enough that if something better comes along they can be torn down, unlike the Kensington or Waterside which, aside from a possible reskinning, we are going to be stuck with far belong any of us are alive.

Real nice pics, kz, of what look like two attractive additions to that neighborhood. Having said that, I have no clue what they look like in person. The street level seems active and urban with lots of future retail to move in. Kz, I know in a previous post you said you disliked the color/looks of the precast. Any changes in your opinion since that post?

Nope! Still don't like the precast parts, but I do agree that this is a net positive for the nabe.

Maybe the yucky yellow precast panels would be less offensive if they let some nice ivy or other climbing plants cover them up. Like a great big trellis. Could make a difference at ground level anyway.

Tavern in the square is opening in the building per banker and tradesman

Back