Troy Boston (formerly Albany St Hotel) | 275 Albany Street | South End

I will give you that about the unfinished look. I've thought the same thing from time to time. But I have grown to really like it overall with time.

I will give you that about the unfinished look. I've thought the same thing from time to time. But I have grown to really like it overall with time.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out over the next few years, as the area fills in with more buildings. The Troy is kind of all alone right now, but that will change a lot pretty soon.

Driving in from the South, this obscures an epic skyline view (including view of MT for a while) and is absolutely the cheapest, most hideous looking thing in the visual panaroma. It's like doodling in some bird shit on the face of the Mona Lisa.

I actually like the effect this building has from the SE Expressway. It works with the new construction in Chinatown to really extend the city core. The fact that it blocks MT makes it more dramatic when it springs up out of nowhere. Not a huge fan of the building itself but I don't find the massing to be a problem.

I got a chance to tour the building yesterday afternoon. We walked through the lobby, resident lounge spaces and a variety of units.

Here's a large photo dump, sorry if the quality isn't great, photos taken from my iphone:

Lobby & Resident Lounge Spaces with pretty amazing views from the two lounges and roof decks on the tower and lower building.
CN0trzL.jpg

tJe6Nfd.jpg

ZdO3Tmq.jpg

ssU9D6B.jpg

IZHLBVy.jpg

JCN1xD1.jpg

TMv59T0.jpg

EPvuUKr.jpg

h5W1ekE.jpg

mjVnf0s.jpg

Residential Units 1-2 Bedrooms:
Zo5XUAT.jpg

kdMOUAS.jpg

TujAxO0.jpg

xyPp44p.jpg

hy2vgko.jpg

FQY62YR.jpg

AMjHErl.jpg

Anyone want to pay $2,400 a month for a 650 sf studio?
UgWWMFX.jpg

Or live in a Mondrian painting?
SdST5Gu.jpg

IibVft6.jpg

That fish is always going to be staring at you.
MYzTnxS.jpg

This was my favorite unit:
yymp8j0.jpg

U6LVbbn.jpg

VEyqQ0L.jpg

ADD you bastards, you've done it again -- gone and made a building whose colors I love. Please keep being weird!

If it's 650 sq ft, why not make it a one bedroom?! My very comfortable one bedroom place in Somerville is 550 sq ft.

This seems to be a theme in these new buildings. The studio apartments could easily be one bedrooms...

I wonder if they're trying to keep the floor plan customizable in a way. By keeping it a studio, it allows tenants to put up a temporary walls, creating a 1BR that they want without it being a permanent fixture.

I wonder if they're trying to keep the floor plan customizable in a way. By keeping it a studio, it allows tenants to put up a temporary walls, creating a 1BR that they want without it being a permanent fixture.

I think it frequently has to do with needing windows in the bedroom. If you can't fit both a bedroom and living area in the space that abuts the façade of the building, you end up with a studio. Architects would definitely know more than me on this...

Someone on Twitter yesterday, "Another cafe opening in the South End? So much gentrification."

Yep, that's what's happening at Troy.

Someone on Twitter yesterday, "Another cafe opening in the South End? So much gentrification."

Yep, that's what's happening at Troy.

And Caffe Nero opened on Tremont Street in the heart of the South End. What's a mother to do?

That's going to be a great view for skyline shots of the 345 Harrison development catty corner from this one. Where is this vantage point?

Back