Tufts Dental School

photo3vt.jpg

^ What a street-killer.

Couldn't they have put stores on the ground floor?

I like the staggered planters along the edge of the building. If they weren't there the sidewalk would be huge. Although I'd take retail over plants any day.

That whole stretch of Washington St was an Urban Renewal project so it's no wonder it's so dead.

ablarc, are you speaking of the new dental building? There is a Bank of America ATM on one side, on Washington, the entrance to the building on the main drag. No other buildings on that stretch of Washington, although you can enter into the Au Bon Pain at Tufts from the street, as well as a couple of other shops.

Having the entrance to the new dental center set back helps, a lot. A LOT.

45 Province looks sweet in the above pic...

Yeah, Archstone looks OK in this pic too but I was referring to the tower in the background...

With the exception of Bank of America, the ground floor of that building is the physical plant (mechanical room) for the entire NE Medical Center. There is an abandoned Orange Line T tunnel underneath which makes the triangular setback from the street (i.e. not Tufts property). There is no opportunity for retail in the street face given the original design of the 1972 TAC building.

These things have been considered in the past. Its ok to hate this condition because it is hate worthy, but understand that its not the way it is for the lack of trying to solve it. The logistics in this little area are more than daunting and the cost to solve this particular problem would be astronomical.

Continue on.

cca

Back