Tufts Dental School

They should stain the original concrete portion the same green as medical gloves.

Quick and dirty Photoshop:

Last edited:
I really like the way this addition makes the Stuart-LeGrange stretch of Washington feel very tight and enclosed, even with the huge empty Gaiety lot. It's pretty impressive.

I also like the addition's utter disinterest in attempting any stylistic congruity with the throw-away concrete heap it's built upon. I think it's interesting.

Lurker, cool mock-up of my pics. Personally, I like the addition. It's just a little more height density in the area to go with the recent additions of the W Hotel, Archstone apartments, and the Metropolitan. For what it is, it makes the existing complex just a bit more approachable and impressive.
On the other hand, if this was something more noticeable at say 500-600 feet, I would barf.

Since it's a dental school, I think a color other than green would be appropriate. Mercury color?

finnishing the base
008-29.jpg

When you consider how brutal (pun intended) this building was before, I actually think this is a marked improvement. This whole project was the equivalent of taking a dump on a canvas and asking an artist to paint you a masterpiece.

I agree, especially because, as you can see from my pictures, from far away you only notice the new nice parts

I guess the orange staircase, and maybe the "Tufts" signage are alright...but that's about it.

I can't take credit for this photo.

photo2ue.jpg

If they were to re-clad the rest of the building, this would be a decent example of ersatz-Richard Meier.

Back