Twenty20 @ Northpoint | 20 Child Street | Cambridge

Re: NorthPoint Cambridge (The one that was train yards, the big plan.)

I think he was being more snarky than a serious translation of what the "Functionally Obsolete" means. No offense, Matthew. That's a bit accusatory to the engineers. This not the early 1950 working mistaken philosophies and design models. They probably think more like F-line calculating the optimal place for a lane drop as long the numbers allows it so and does more good than harm.

I'm not being snarky. That is what "functionally obsolete" means. It's handling more traffic than it was designed for. Usually that means there's some traffic engineers trying to plot out ways to add lanes.

For example, the Tappan Zee Bridge is "functionally obsolete." The current bridge is safe and just needs proper maintenance to keep it up. But NY State used that scary-sounding "functionally obsolete" designation to muscle through $6 billion in Federal funds for a new, wider bridge with more travel lanes and no transit accommodation.

I gave a google search and it seems you're right. I just took the took the sounding of the name and how you can crumbling cement and rebar and presumed you were taking an uncalled for jab. I apologize for accusing you of being snarky.

As for looking at the bridge, this makes Toonie's question very relevant. While I can see the math saying it is overcapacity if the definition is "having traffic backed up" (going into Cambridge at least), it does not make any sense to "fix" it to that idea of "functional". The entire backs is all traffic light delay from the crossing of two big roads. Adding lanes would do nothing and as Toonie said, the whole bridge already use up the entire arch of the aqueduct.

I see steel! That core is really shooting up.

I like the activity on this site. I can't wait until the Edward Sullivan facade is redone and Twenty20 goes up - I can't wait until there are more buildings up to distract me from how ugly those brick towers with the little pediments on top are. I HATE those.

Is the EF building technically part of NorthPoint?

The developer would be absolutely stupid if it doesn't create a shortcut to get to the orange line from this building.

All they'd really need for good orange line access is a pedestrian entrance from the building out to the sidewalk along the Gilmore Bridge. Although, some sort of bike-accessible/handicap ramp from Northpoint Park up to that bridge would be excellent for promoting connectivity and increasing passenger use of the BHCC orange line station.

http://

http://

Is the building in the center of this shot - the tan one to the right of the core that's going up - considered a part of the NorthPoint development? I walked by it yesterday, and I couldn't picture when it was built.

Ya...archstone northpoint

BbewBmQ.png

Is this technique of building the entire concrete core and then the building around it something new? I have only begun seeing it recently.

I'm not sure if it's a "new" thing or not, but several other recent projects (120 Kingston, Liberty Mutual, Waterside Place) have had cores significantly or fully completed before structural steel went up.

Would anyone in the know have an explanation? My best guess would be that it's faster and cheaper to just do the core all in one go.

I preface this by saying this is a guess not grounded in any knowledge, but seems logical enough to be a potential reason. Someone can confirm or refute.

But perhaps with all the activity going on in the area, its a matter of being able to break ground and wait to move a crane from another area site in 6 months rather then importing one from out of region at a higher cost.

I preface this by saying this is a guess not grounded in any knowledge, but seems logical enough to be a potential reason. Someone can confirm or refute.

But perhaps with all the activity going on in the area, its a matter of being able to break ground and wait to move a crane from another area site in 6 months rather then importing one from out of region at a higher cost.

several of the sites using this method, like the fenway triangle (which has 2), have cranes already and are still doing this.

Back