Twenty20 @ Northpoint | 20 Child Street | Cambridge

11615871413_f3593180e1_c.jpg
[/url]

Oh, so they are going for the cheap vinyl siding look. Joy...

It looked so promisingly blue and magnificent in those renders

Looks like Northpoint will be Seaport: Part Two.

Couldn't get a good picture from the train, but the first bits of windows and facade are starting to go up on this thing.

I have a question about the siding being placed on Twenty/20 versus the Pier 4 Residences. They are going up at the same time and look very similar. However as depicted above Twenty/20 has aluminum (?) brackets placed then the insulation over that. I assume that next will come the panels. The residences at Pier 4 seems to have just the panels go up all at once without the steps that are done at Twenty/20. Is this a new way of construction? I am not an architect or engineer.

Twenty/20 is building up the exterior walls in place: Aluminum studs, covered by Densglass sheets, waterproofing membrane, and then (presumably) the cladding. Pier 4 uses precast concrete, which is built up offsite and hung on the building.

The precast is good if you're doing brick, concrete or pseudo-stone for your surface material. The on-site buildup is better suited to Alucobond or similar materials.

Thanks for your answer. It will be interesting to compare the two buildings once they are done.

I have a question about the siding being placed on Twenty/20 versus the Pier 4 Residences. They are going up at the same time and look very similar. However as depicted above Twenty/20 has aluminum (?) brackets placed then the insulation over that. I assume that next will come the panels. The residences at Pier 4 seems to have just the panels go up all at once without the steps that are done at Twenty/20. Is this a new way of construction? I am not an architect or engineer.

The folks at 20/Twenty are doing it the right way for a long term, durable solution. They are building a serious back-up wall that will do all the waterproofing, insulating, air tightness. Then they will hang some sort of cladding in front of that. This is a 50-100 year construction method often seen in institutional buildings. Pier 4 style wall is much less expensive, but the waterproofing is being done by a slab of concrete (which is porous) with spray insulation on the backside (which puts the insulation on that wrong side of the so-called waterproofing) and the jointing is waterproofed with a simple silicone sealant joint. If the owner was feeling generous they might have two sealant joints.

If you were going to ask me to invest half a million dollars or more to live in a place built new. I would take the 20/Twenty construction as a much much better investment.

cca

Back