Twenty20 @ Northpoint | 20 Child Street | Cambridge

From yesterday. Of all the overpasses around, this one is somehow the least invasive. You hardly notice it.
13982390409_c954d59a67_h.jpg

14169043835_3ed7bb1c30_h.jpg

Corbu would be proud:
14189152793_3dbb1f05bc_h.jpg

It's looking a bit better than I thought it would upon seeing the rendering. The tapered roofs helps a lot to alleviate the stubbiness factor from certain angles. Some angles though are just going to be bad.

Looks like they're doing the same facade assembly sequence as 610 Main St. That means the cladding is going to likely be terra cotta-like tiles.

Does anyone else find it confusing how there's 22 Water Street, 22 Liberty Drive and then Twenty20 or is it just me.

14321522361_12527202d4_b.jpg

14345021343_5139445aa5_b.jpg

14324137304_a6f9efb132_b.jpg

14324118584_8be7ac0108_b.jpg

14344979513_db7f1790a8_b.jpg

14344960653_2f7254389a_b.jpg

14138085818_379fb2eff4_b.jpg

14138078189_76f808f36d_b.jpg

14344821213_75e051441e_b.jpg

14323834884_ba0229c80b_b.jpg

This would not be Kendall Square. (unless you are referring to the 610 Mass Ave comment). Northpoint is the far northeastern edge of Cambridge and associated more with the Lechmere T stop on the green line.

This seems to be a quality piece of work. (twenty20 that is). It is getting better and better the further it goes along. I like the care in the systems choice, and it looks like the architecture is thoughtful. I remain hopeful.

cca

I'm sure this issue has been raised before, but has serious height ever been suggested for Northpoint? A real tall tower would have space to be built, it would lengthen and add to the skyline, and it would be allowed under the FAA / Massport height restrictions. I'm sure many citizens of Cambridge would be against it, and tall towers require lots of financing, but is there anything else that stops a taller structure from being put here?

The two floors above ground level had their windows (all save one) installed by Saturday morning. Huge panels of glass - very nice. Additionally, the park looking upper penultimate window bank is complete.

As someone who lives at Northpoint and overlooks the park and T|20, I would not have a problem with greater height but beyond funding I'd question what would compel developers to "push" Northpoint in that direction. Labs don't require that height, whether that many "affluent" or "spendy" folks who might live in Northpoint would choose to live there over nearby zones with more established retail and eats, and whether the infrastructure (a small web of planned roadways among the yet unplanned dust bin between T|20 and 22 Water) would support something large are points on a very inexhaustive list.

And then there's capacity: Northpoint went from severely undercapacity to a lot closer to neutrally constrained: the hot dog building finally looking like something from the current century (glass!), 22 Water, T|20, and Phase III of Avalon kinda/kinda not planned ... And several condos in Northpt that haven't sold because they're 1bd/1ba for $700k+. But then we'll get a new Lechmere so there's that...

That hasn't stopped development in the Back Bay, although I understand comparing the center of Boston to the Cambridge outskirts is apples and oranges.

I feel the moved Lechmere Station and completed GLX would be a great boon to this area and could drive the building height upwards- but it seems likely that NP will be largely filled in by the time the extension is complete.

While not strictly related to Twenty|20, a number of backhoes and dozers worked feverishly on Friday to clear and superficially flatten the area between the bookended Northpoint construction sites. One small pile of detritus disappeared entirely, and it looks a bit like some rudimentary grading was on the docket ...

It's been said before about buildings under construction but this is more interesting to me than the final white box will be. It has transparency, transluscence, pops of color and lots of material variety. An appealing machine/technology aesthetic.

While not strictly related to Twenty|20, a number of backhoes and dozers worked feverishly on Friday to clear and superficially flatten the area between the bookended Northpoint construction sites. One small pile of detritus disappeared entirely, and it looks a bit like some rudimentary grading was on the docket ...

That's good news. I wonder if another building will break ground this year. GLX construction is scheduled to ramp up next spring, and that may affect more Northpoint projects for a couple years if MassDOT and the developer are competing for construction space.

An update: nearly all the trees from "Tree Island" (a huge detritus pile in the middle of the Northpoint development zone) were removed over the last few days...There are two new backhoes now, too (so 7 pieces of equipment active yesterday in the dust field).

And, 22 Water has two floodlights and some floor lighting amidships at night. Woohoo!

Back