Twenty20 @ Northpoint | 20 Child Street | Cambridge

14487684277_0bf1572a06_b.jpg

14694017423_d529579f18_b.jpg

The glass looks pretty good, but what the hell is going on with that cladding?

Is that actually the cladding? I thought it was just part of the construction material.

No it is not the cladding. It's the backing structure for the facade panels.

Have any of these panels actually been placed yet? If not, anybody know why there's such a hold-up when the rest of the building is almost done?

Have any of these panels actually been placed yet? If not, anybody know why there's such a hold-up when the rest of the building is almost done?

Isn't the Silver/White the actual panels? Although I don't know why they'd be placed so haphazardly around the facade.

Right, the silver is weatherproofing, the green is insulation, and the tan is the backing for the final facade panels. But then the question becomes why is everything being applied in such a haphazard manner?

Make up of that wall:

• Light Gage Stud Wall (hidden)
  • Fiberglass faced gypsum sheathing (green)
  • Sheet Water Proofing (silver/white)
  • Mineral Fiber Insulation (brown/tan)
  • Cladding (not installed) (maybe precast like the base, maybe not)

Well ... you asked.

cca

Thanks for the explanation. I live right near this building and look every day to see if any of the panels have been placed yet. We have a meeting with HYM to discuss what is going to happen with Lot U which is currently a parking lot for Tango and Sierra. It sounds as if the lot is going to be developed and they need to move the parking to another area of Northpoint. I will know at the end of July because they are going to speak about future plans. I imagine that Archstone will not start on their next apartment building until the Maple Leaf Building conversion has been completed. They are using the lot to store equipment.

Thanks for the explanation. I live right near this building and look every day to see if any of the panels have been placed yet. We have a meeting with HYM to discuss what is going to happen with Lot U which is currently a parking lot for Tango and Sierra. It sounds as if the lot is going to be developed and they need to move the parking to another area of Northpoint. I will know at the end of July because they are going to speak about future plans. I imagine that Archstone will not start on their next apartment building until the Maple Leaf Building conversion has been completed. They are using the lot to store equipment.

Hey, Tango! Several months ago there was a short piece of cladding installed. It's on the lowest level of the west face above the ground floor and two large window concrete floors. They added that material when they began adding the window packages. I didn't see any other pieces added in all this time, though I suspect more will be on the way soon... (If I'm unclear, it's down near the bridge, third level, first fourth of the building, northwest portion.)

Hey, Tango! Several months ago there was a short piece of cladding installed. It's on the lowest level of the west face above the ground floor and two large window concrete floors. They added that material when they began adding the window packages. I didn't see any other pieces added in all this time, though I suspect more will be on the way soon... (If I'm unclear, it's down near the bridge, third level, first fourth of the building, northwest portion.)

Likely a mock-up. It is possible that is what it will be ... but changes are often made when the actual piece of material is looked at on site.

cca

Boston, those pics look like they might belong in the One Canal thread?

I was by this project this weekend and the base cladding is up and looking nice. Someone really worked hard to get the precast concrete to have some very nice scale and texture.

I still think this is the best of the res. towers I have seen go up lately. Certainly the building systems seem to be of the highest quality.

cca

I was by this project this weekend and the base cladding is up and looking nice. Someone really worked hard to get the precast concrete to have some very nice scale and texture.
cca

Hey, cca,

Are you talking about the two levels above retail? I agree that it looks very nice! (And the test panels out in the field still look fresh!) They delivered that material in April and by early May it was hanging. If memory serves, it went up pretty quickly ... In the last weeks I watched some of the workers filling in the gaps over the weekends.

-----

We learned tonight at the HYM meeting that there would be 8,000 sq ft (iirc) of retail under T|20, a good portion of it taken up by a restaurant, some by an unnamed coffee shop, and some by other small storefronts, potentially including a pet spa, dry cleaners, etc...The restaurant is *potentially* Flat Iron. Aside from the latter, we weren't led to the conclusion that other leases were developing yet.

They began tearing off some of the covering right before COB Friday (8 August 2014) ...

Back