Ugly Boston

Thanks for the historical info. But yes, it would be enormously helpful for Boston to have no more than one major street named Washington - not because of the "02116/02115/02138/02146 axis", but for the benefit of people who are not from these respective neighborhoods.

I'd actually rather restore downtown's Washington St. to "Cornhill" or "Orange St." than touch Dorchester's.

What's now Washington Street downtown changed its name every block or two. Among the names were 'Newbury' and 'Marlborough'.

It's now called Washington Street all the way to the Rhode Island state line.

Ive got a late entry

IMG_8459.jpg

Boston University George Sherman Union? Looks a lot better from the front.

I used to live about 4 blocks from there, on Bay State Road.

this block always kind of reminded me of somewhere in NYC,the top levels of these buildings always seem to be vacant
119.jpg
120.jpg

mass ave. To be fair they stated they'll be a farmers market going in on the 1st floor where the new green windows are ,still this has been an eyesore for years!
217-1.jpg
further down on mass ave great building but again empty for years
220.jpg

1st one is in Edward Everett Sq.corner of mass ave and columbia rd dorchester /roxbury line the 2nd is on the corner of mass ave and malina cass blvd roxbury

This is a major duh. A dull building with a flat punchline. I get it, it's upside down. Insane.

AA060909ac.jpg

This is a major duh. A dull building with a flat punchline. I get it, it's upside down. Insane.

I know, I know it's a train wreck. However, I like this building in it's context. For one exiting South Station, it's an interesting gateway of sorts to the Financial District. I've enjoyed this building since I were a little kid and while it's no award winner, it's different (and ugly) enough to stand out yet unobtrusive enough to not get in the way physically or take away from its neighbors. It's filler with a hint of flare.

For one exiting South Station, it's an interesting gateway of sorts to the Financial District.

I noticed this once what walking around and it really blew my mind how effective it is. Yes it's ugly but it's urban design elements are better than most in Boston.

Ah, urban in concept, ugly in execution. A new facade could fix all this.

No, please do not mess with this building. I love its dark, elegant-as-espresso facade, and the intriguing cantilever. Plenty of worse buildings in the FiDi.

they stated they'll be a farmers market going in on the 1st floor where the new green windows

Apparently there is no problem in Boston that cannot be solved by a market.

^ Hahaha.

Also working in the building's favor is its resonably diminuitive scale. Were it 50% bigger, that run-of-the-mill '70s facade would be much less bearable.

Back