UMass Boston Residence Hall 1 | Columbia Point | Dorchester

While I really like the brick work, has an Art Moderne feel to it, the strong horizontal lines make it too landscraperish. The glass looks good too.

Looks like a long lost sibling of Northeastern's West Village (that's a good thing).

Looks like a long lost sibling of Northeastern's West Village (that's a good thing).

+1

I wouldn't bat an eye if UMass Boston built another dozen of these on their campus during the next 10 years. My only concern for their sake would be activating the ground floors for non-residential uses. I know it's a college campus, but there are ways to add vibrancy to a residential quad with commercial and academic uses... something that NU's West Village does mostly well, but could still have improved upon in some of their buildings.

This looks like what the dorm at the YMCA by symphony hall was trying to be.

I would click "Like" if we had that extension. I guess it's the "upscaling" of every corner of Boston, in a way. Now there's gonna be rich kids from the suburbs just like at almost every college or university in the area (I know, I can be considered one myself).

I would click "Like" if we had that extension. I guess it's the "upscaling" of every corner of Boston, in a way. Now there's gonna be rich kids from the suburbs just like at almost every college or university in the area (I know, I can be considered one myself).
UMass Boston was the last Boston area college where a commuter student didn't feel like an outsider. Shame.

UMass Boston was the last Boston area college where a commuter student didn't feel like an outsider. Shame.

C'mon. What percentage of UMass Boston students will be housed in this dorm?

But let's say 25-50% become residents eventually. Gaining that component is what helped Northeastern immensely over the past few decades.

UMass Boston is not exactly thriving financially these days. I applaud them for looking for solutions.

C'mon. What percentage of UMass Boston students will be housed in this dorm?

But let's say 25-50% become residents eventually. Gaining that component is what helped Northeastern immensely over the past few decades.

UMass Boston is not exactly thriving financially these days. I applaud them for looking for solutions.
Northeastern is no longer a local college. 97% of freshmen live on campus. Most locals avoid Northeastern now in favor of UMass Boston due to cost, stats or not wanting to feel like an outsider.

Northeastern is no longer a local college. 97% of freshmen live on campus. Most locals avoid Northeastern now in favor of UMass Boston due to cost, stats or not wanting to feel like an outsider.

State schools cost substantially less than private schools so UMass Boston will still serve a different group of students in that regard, dorms or not.

Locals who go to Northeastern live on campus for the college experience and they get guaranteed freshman housing (or put you up somewhere nearby). Just because people don't commute doesn't mean they are not local.

Locals who go to Northeastern live on campus for the college experience and they get guaranteed freshman housing (or put you up somewhere nearby). Just because people don't commute doesn't mean they are not local.

That's why I said "most' locals.

UMass Boston was created to serve metro Boston students on the cheap. Now it wants to attract out of staters who are rejected by NU, BU and BC or can't afford those schools if accepted.

UMass Boston was created to serve metro Boston students on the cheap. Now it wants to attract out of staters who are rejected by NU, BU and BC or can't afford those schools if accepted.

If we're talking about people "who are rejected" then it's important to note that when it comes to acceptance criteria, there is a lot of room between NU/BU/BC and UMass Boston.

Without getting into stupid "my college is better than yours" pissing contests, it is pretty much widely recognized that Harvard/MIT/Tufts/NU/BU/BC all fit into the same broadly-defined "highly selective" category. The same can't really be said for UMass Boston.

That does nothing to diminish the value that UMass Boston provides for its students. For many people it is a great option, and many students can and do receive a great education there. But there aren't very many people who would consider both NU/BU/BC and UMass Boston to be legitimate options. Suffolk would be more comparable with UMass Boston than either would be with NU/BU/BC.

If we're talking about people "who are rejected" then it's important to note that when it comes to acceptance criteria, there is a lot of room between NU/BU/BC and UMass Boston.

Without getting into stupid "my college is better than yours" pissing contests, it is pretty much widely recognized that Harvard/MIT/Tufts/NU/BU/BC all fit into the same broadly-defined "highly selective" category. The same can't really be said for UMass Boston.

That does nothing to diminish the value that UMass Boston provides for its students. For many people it is a great option, and many students can and do receive a great education there. But there aren't very many people who would consider both NU/BU/BC and UMass Boston to be legitimate options. Suffolk would be more comparable with UMass Boston than either would be with NU/BU/BC.
You are missing my point. With the construction of these dorms and recruitment of out of state and international students UMass Boston is trying to be one of the big boys and moving away from its founding purpose: to provide a good higher education experience for Boston area students.

You are missing my point. With the construction of these dorms and recruitment of out of state and international students UMass Boston is trying to be one of the big boys and moving away from its founding purpose: to provide a good higher education experience for Boston area students.

Possibly. Or the RoI on this housing and the tuition OOS student pay could inprove the qualty of education for those that still commute.

Back