Underground station layouts

So, looking at the pics of the western end of the tunnel, near the added stairwell, there appears to be two shiny things that appear to be large ducts. Anyone know what they are?

I can only assume that the ramps are ADA compliant - while the station was built prior to the ADA, the MAAB had similar regulations by the time Harvard opened.

I can't speak for the dimensional feasibility of any of your questions; I haven't been there myself.

Some more of what once was, before I go back to what is. The abandoned (lighter color) bits shown here are shown up to the surface; although at least something exists of them, not all that is shown is still extant. From L-R:
  • Public Garden Portal (used 1897-1914). Most likely, nothing exists except for the bellmouth under Charles Street.
  • Boylston Street Portal (1914-1941). Now occupied by a maintenance siding and a pump room.
  • Provision for the never-built extension to Post Office Square
  • Southern branch of the Tremont Street Subway to the Pleasant Street Incline (1897-1962). Intact up to just south of the flying junction; this hatch is the southern end of the tunnel proper, where it met the open incline. This track configuration is as-built; it may have been slightly different when streetcar service resumed after the Main Line El's 1901-08 use of the subway.
  • The incline to the Washington Street Elevated (1908-1987). From the south end of the outbound platform at Chinatown, you can still see about 100 feet of the tunnel.
View attachment 4946
EGE, can you show the part just below where the tunnel crosses under the Pike?

1660427666154.png

The track alignment is more or less correct; the location of the Tufts Medical Center station is just an approximation.

I'm having trouble making sense of this. Is this the Green Line station or is it the mess of former track alignments between Haymarket and North Station? If you click through to the original, it has a higher-resolution version.

It’s mostly the Green Line track between Haymarket and North Station. The platform is just off the left side of the image. The Orange Line tracks are at the bottom. It’s centered on the old Haymarket Green Line, before the 1971 relocation.

I'm having trouble making sense of this. Is this the Green Line station or is it the mess of former track alignments between Haymarket and North Station? If you click through to the original, it has a higher-resolution version.
It took me way too long to figure out, but its the north side of the GL platforms and the mezzanine area. Here's the diagram from everyone's favorite station-diagramming Spaniard where you can see what I'm referring to.
haymarket.png

The PDF linked by @stick n move had an excellent diagram of that area of old Haymarket, buried under a bunch of layers. I've rotated it to approximately match the orientation of the 3D version.

View attachment 48550
Idk how you did that but thats awesome. I thought about posting the image where that came from but it was just so cluttered I figured it wasnt worth it. I guess it was.

Idk how you did that but thats awesome. I thought about posting the image where that came from but it was just so cluttered I figured it wasnt worth it. I guess it was.
That red diagram was an embedded image, and all the stuff on top of it was separate layers, which made it a lot easier than I thought it would be to pull it out in Illustrator. No idea why that was done like that, but I'm glad it was.

Back