Union Square D2.1 | 10 Prospect Street | Somerville

Not all buildings have concrete shafts for elevators and exit stairs. It could be concrete, concrete block, drywall shaft liner, glass and sometimes elevators and stairs are open to an atrium. It all depends on code, building size, type of use, cost, timeline.

From what is seen in photos, it appears the second building could be going with the drywall option. They will need dry conditions for the drywall option so typically the steel frame will be erected, spray fireproofed and then weather protection to a certain extent. Then the drywall portion is installed. I attached a couple photos of a drywall shaft inside and out.

In my experience, CMU and concrete were good options for a builder's timeline because it got the shafts started with the foundations while the building steel is fabricated and delivered. Also, drywall required more miscellaneous steel coordination for support of the various components of elevator rails and guides.

gwb shaft inside.jpg
gwb shaft outside.jpg

Not all buildings have concrete shafts for elevators and exit stairs. It could be concrete, concrete block, drywall shaft liner, glass and sometimes elevators and stairs are open to an atrium. It all depends on code, building size, type of use, cost, timeline.

From what is seen in photos, it appears the second building could be going with the drywall option. They will need dry conditions for the drywall option so typically the steel frame will be erected, spray fireproofed and then weather protection to a certain extent. Then the drywall portion is installed. I attached a couple photos of a drywall shaft inside and out.

In my experience, CMU and concrete were good options for a builder's timeline because it got the shafts started with the foundations while the building steel is fabricated and delivered. Also, drywall required more miscellaneous steel coordination for support of the various components of elevator rails and guides.

View attachment 24447 View attachment 24448

Good stuff - I just learning something new. Thanks, dhawkins!

Somerville is growing up! Can't wait to see the transformed USq in the coming years. I miss living there!

Somerville was the first place I ever visited in MA when I first visited ~15 years ago; made it my home for ~10 years, met my wife there, got married in city hall. Recently moved out to 495 to live in the trees, but we make it back for frequent visits 😆

Well, as expected, I've overheard this one called "the bacon building" about a dozen times now walking around the neighborhood. Which I think is perfectly fine as a nickname.
That makes sense historically, as the Squire Meat Factory, which actually made bacon, was nearby on Gore Street in East Cambridge

Last edited:
I’m liking this pronounced upper corner! I’m pretty sure it’s going to be an outdoor terrace. I wonder if it will be open to the public or just the penthouse tenant.

59932EBC-BDF4-4143-BE60-CA135F942BC3.jpeg

Very low window glass reflectivity, no? Very dark and subdued.
079A9F84-CBBE-4721-90A0-4014B5C53061.jpeg
3B3305B7-DD08-4461-A33F-83D272165BF1.jpeg

Back