Urban Mass Transit Systems Of North America

If by 45 minutes to an hour you mean 15-20 (during offpeak hours, outside of the central subway), then yes.

And yes...the Bay Area is a metro area, much the same way that Greater Boston is a metro area. To exclude San Jose would be ridiculous.

If by 45 minutes to an hour you mean 15-20 (during offpeak hours, outside of the central subway), then yes.

And yes...the Bay Area is a metro area, much the same way that Greater Boston is a metro area. To exclude San Jose would be ridiculous.

Bay Area is three major cities + the rest: SF, Oakland, San Jose this is the equivalent of Boston, Providence and Worcester and everything else though of course with a different geometry

Boston Economic Region includes Providence and Worcester and actually is better connected by transit than the Bay Area Economic Region

in 2007 I dumpted a car at San Jose Airport and tried to take transit to SFO the trip took 3 hours and involved:

1) rentacar bus to San Jose Airport terminal
2) walk to San Jose bus
3) bus to LightRail
4) LRV to Calrans CR
5) CR to near BART
6) walk to BART
7) BART to SFO BART station near International Terminal
8) Walk to SFO domestic terminal where I boarded the Red Eye to BOS

the eqivalent trip from either Prov or Manchester to BOS would be substantially faster and involve fewer intermediate steps
However, today Worcester to Logan would be more indirect -- but that is due in part because Worcester doesn't really have much in the way of business

^^^
Not to mention that over the three hours you were riding on three separate transit authorities (not even counting the airport shuttles). If you had gone in to SF instead of just the airport, you could have dealt with a fourth authority (MUNI) for local in city service. Likewise, any local service in Oakland is handled by Alameda Transit. If all of that was unified and if each part were more in tune with the others, then I'd see the logic in the map, although we'd still need to add commuter rail to the other cities' maps, because that is the only thing currently tying SJ to SF.

Bay Area is three major cities + the rest: SF, Oakland, San Jose this is the equivalent of Boston, Providence and Worcester and everything else though of course with a different geometry

Boston Economic Region includes Providence and Worcester and actually is better connected by transit than the Bay Area Economic Region

in 2007 I dumpted a car at San Jose Airport and tried to take transit to SFO the trip took 3 hours and involved:

1) rentacar bus to San Jose Airport terminal
2) walk to San Jose bus
3) bus to LightRail
4) LRV to Calrans CR
5) CR to near BART
6) walk to BART
8) Walk to SFO domestic terminal where I boarded the Red Eye to BOS

the eqivalent trip from either Prov or Manchester to BOS would be substantially faster and involve fewer intermediate steps
However, today Worcester to Logan would be more indirect -- but that is due in part because Worcester doesn't really have much in the way of business

No it wouldn't -
1) get on CR at Worcester Union Station
2) get off at Back Bay Station, get on Orange Line to Oak Grove
3) get off at State, get on Blue Line to Wonderland
4) get off at Airport, shuttle bus to the terminal of your choosing

Much more direct. I'd hate to find out how long you'd be waiting for the train and the shuttle bus, though.

No it wouldn't -
1) get on CR at Worcester Union Station
2) get off at Back Bay Station, get on Orange Line to Oak Grove
3) get off at State, get on Blue Line to Wonderland
4) get off at Airport, shuttle bus to the terminal of your choosing

Much more direct. I'd hate to find out how long you'd be waiting for the train and the shuttle bus, though.

Commute -- couple questions:
1) how do you get from Wocester airport to Worcester Union Staton -- is there a bus?
2) why would you get off at Back Bay -- take the CR into South Station then board the Silver Line to Logan

Commute -- couple questions:
1) how do you get from Wocester airport to Worcester Union Staton -- is there a bus?
2) why would you get off at Back Bay -- take the CR into South Station then board the Silver Line to Logan

1) I thought you meant the city of Worcester in General. Yeah, getting from the Airport to the Station seems to be a nightmare and I can't find any transit options for that at all. So, nevermind!

2) I put emphasis around the words that I feel answer your own question.

1) I thought you meant the city of Worcester in General. Yeah, getting from the Airport to the Station seems to be a nightmare and I can't find any transit options for that at all. So, nevermind!

The Silver Line to Logan is wonderful. Have you ever used it? It's by far the most convenient way to access to Logan (given you don't live on the North Shore on the Blue Line). The convenience of the Silver Line makes Logan the quickest Airport to downtown link in the country. It's literally 10 minutes. This is noticed not only nationally but internationally.

You can easily have lunch downtown with only a 2 or 3-hour layover.

SJC to SFO isn't so bad if you don't take the VTA light rail.

-take VTA 10 from terminal to Santa Clara Caltrain (free) (yes, the 10 goes to both Caltrain and light rail).
- Caltrain to Milbrae (if you're lucky you can catch an express)
-BART from Milbrae to SFO. Depending on the time you may have to change in San Bruno (which does suck, considering how close Milbrae is to SFO).

The BART from the train to the airport is super expensive though...

^^ Thank you. Everyone knows you take the free airport shuttle (10 bus) to the Santa Clara Caltrain stop, then transfer to BART at Millbrae station.

CR to near BART
6) walk to BART

This part makes me LOL because that walk literally involves stepping off the train, walking 10 feet across a platform, and entering the BART fare gate.

To Henry Alan - all of the major Bay Area systems are now unified under the Clipper Card system, which is already more widespread than Charlie (ahem, commuter rail) despite launching in 2009~2010.

To Henry Alan - all of the major Bay Area systems are now unified under the Clipper Card system, which is already more widespread than Charlie (ahem, commuter rail) despite launching in 2009~2010.

Can't the Clipper Card be used to board commuter rail as well, or do you need to use the Card to buy a ticket a la CharlieCard?

The Silver Line to Logan is wonderful. Have you ever used it? It's by far the most convenient way to access to Logan (given you don't live on the North Shore on the Blue Line). The convenience of the Silver Line makes Logan the quickest Airport to downtown link in the country. It's literally 10 minutes. This is noticed not only nationally but internationally.

You can easily have lunch downtown with only a 2 or 3-hour layover.

Data -- I concur absolutely

Since the advent of the Ted Williams Tunnel - picking up someone at Logan has been a fairly routine 30 minutes from Lexington by car

with the Silver Line and someone to give you a lift to Alewife - one can quite confortably leave the house for a domestic flight 2 hours from takeoff and only 3 hours for an international flight

Coming home is even better as it can litterally take less than 2 hours from landing on an international flight to steping through one's own front door as the Silver Line makes its last stop at the International Terminal before heading for the Ted Williams Tunnel

you take WRTA route 19 to city hall ( http://www.therta.com/downloads/schedules_2012/ROUTE 19.pdf) then you can probably just walk to union station, or grab another bus there. There has been talk of the WRTA planning on moving their major bus terminal from city hall to Union Station so that walk may disappear soon.

Can't the Clipper Card be used to board commuter rail as well, or do you need to use the Card to buy a ticket a la CharlieCard?

The clipper card can board the Caltrain, you just have to remember to clip off otherwise you get charged for all possible zones...

Don't make me search for an appropriate thread for this, I'm tired.

Maybe this is common knowledge but I only heard about this today.

Cincinnati has a subway? That was built but never used?

the-cincinnati-subway.17368.large_slideshow.jpg

Fascinating.

From Wikipedia:

The Cincinnati Subway is a set of unused tunnels and stations for a rapid transit system beneath the streets of Cincinnati, Ohio. It is recognized as the largest abandoned subway tunnel in the United States. Construction took place in the early twentieth century, but the project was not completed so it never hosted a paying customer.

The project has been described as "one of the city's biggest embarrassments," and "one of Cincinnati's biggest failures." Some argue that because rapid transit was never completed, that Cincinnati is smaller, forces its citizens to be automobile-dependent, has its downtown area dominated by highways and parking lots, lacks "walkable communities," motivates people to live outside of the city, and has spawned today's traffic jams. Others say it would have been abandoned anyway due to waning ridership, as was the case with the city's original streetcars and the Mount Adams Incline.

Proposals to complete the subway have been near continuous since its initial failure, but all attempts to use the tunnels for transit have failed thus far. Many Cincinnatians do not know subway tunnels exist under their city.

More: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cincinnati_Subway

Rochester has an abandoned subway system. Los Angeles has a single abandoned subway tunnel, but I don't think it contained any stations other than the terminal.

That Cincinnati subway was always fascinating. There are occasional tours of it, but I never made it to one before moving away from Ohio.

One of my projects in a cartography class in grad school was a crazy map trying to show the whole history of it...
subway.jpg

Wow. I hope you're very proud of that. If you want to, I'm sure you could upload it to Wikipedia or perhaps other similar websites.

Back