Urban Mass Transit Systems Of North America

That Cincinnati subway was always fascinating. There are occasional tours of it, but I never made it to one before moving away from Ohio.

One of my projects in a cartography class in grad school was a crazy map trying to show the whole history of it...
subway.jpg

That's a fantastic infographic. Thanks for sharing.

That Cincinnati subway was always fascinating. There are occasional tours of it, but I never made it to one before moving away from Ohio.

One of my projects in a cartography class in grad school was a crazy map trying to show the whole history of it...
subway.jpg

fap fap fap

Seriously, it should be on a 36"x48" poster hanging in some transit museum or the Cincinnati Public Library at least.

Seriously, it should be on a 36"x48" poster hanging in some transit museum or the Cincinnati Public Library at least.

Legit.

That is awesome, Piggi! Any other awesome fucking images/maps/etc lying around for us to feast our eyes on?!

They're building a street running trolley now between Downtown and University of Cincinnati. Should be nice when it's finished. Downtown Cincy's actaully having a little mini-Renaissance.

It's going to be good to see that Cincy streetcar, after it's been in danger of being killed so many times in recent years. Cincinnati was always my favorite in Ohio; it has tons of potential in its central basin and surrounding hills—hills that transit improvements would help the urbanite crowd deal with. Nice to see some of the long-awaited projects finally happening.

UrbEx, thanks! Don't have too many maps lying around that I haven't already plastered on the internet (Bostonography etc.), but there are probably some dark, forgotten folders on my hard drive somewhere.

datadyne, at one point I had indeed thought about sending that map to libraries or museums or whatever, but I was never quite convinced enough of its accuracy for it to be taken that legitimately. It's mostly right, but there were a few inferences made in the facts and figures presented.

I've always found the Cincy un-built system facinating also.

Mostly because the same designers who designed the original unbuilt stations, also designed the section of the Cambridge Tunnel on the Red Line. So if you see pictures of the interiors of the unbuilt stations in the Cincy system. They are identical to Kendall, Central, Harvard (Pre-1980s remodel) minus all the tile work (it appeared that that was all that needed to be done in the Cincy system)

But also how it was built and never used. And how years of NIMBYism and just lack of general support has never gotten a subway to be completed or ever used. Then add some highway construction (I-74?) that demolished several outdoor sections. and it just sat unused for decades, until the city decided to run a water main thru it.

BUT.. since, unlike Kendall/Central/Harvard where the street level growth density radiates away from the station, in Cincy, since the system was never opened, growth happened everywhere else.

Of course by the time support for rail public transit was finally gained, the growth happened elsewhere, hence why the new light rail system doesn't really, and couldn't use the existing tunnel (even if the city moved the water main).

Its still a very interesting situation..

Back