USM | Portland

I think that USM will go private eventually.....it may still have "public" elements (like a BOD appointed by the state) but its development will be stymied if it continues to operate within the UM system.
What is it about the UM system that is holding back USM?

What is it about the UM system that is holding back USM?
It's perhaps a similar dynamic with the city of Portland (Gov) which needs $50 million to build a school whereas the Friends school in Yarmouth was built for $4 million (award winning design too, from Kaplan Thompson). It's requirements, promises, inclusion galore, and all decided by committees. Although UMO appears to have done well in advancing its engineering and athletics programs, so there are exceptions, somewhat.

The University of Maine just has way too many University of Maine campuses. It should be just Orono and Portland.
A while back, they tried to consolidate the administrations of UM Machias, Presque Isle and Fort Kent. Not close any campuses, just consolidate the top levels. They couldn't even accomplish that, there was so much pushback. I remember the Press Herald once saying that, while most states put their money into a single large school, Maine followed the New York model of campuses everywhere. But Maine doesn't have New York money floating around, with the result that the "small liberal arts college" of the group, Farmington, is cutting what most people would consider essential liberal arts departments like History.

The UMaine System needs to reorganize or it's going to completely fall behind other state university systems.

The demographics of higher education are changing. A lot of high school and college aged students have seen their older siblings or parents get crushed with student debt, and they're not willing to take on the same risk for an uncertain payoff. As a result, a lot of smaller liberal arts schools are facing steep declines in enrollment as more upcoming college students are choosing targeted STEM programs or Community Colleges.

UMaine needs to reinvent itself and its campuses...Or the two "flagship" campuses (Orono and USM) could be dragged down by the shortcomings of the smaller liberal arts-oriented schools.

UMaine needs to attract more out-of-state students through competitive STEM programs and state-of-the-art campus facilities. That can only happen if you separate the successful campuses from the struggling campuses.

I'm not suggesting the other campuses should be shuttered, I think they can play an important role in Maine's rural economy...but the UMaine system needs to reevaluate its priorities.

Last edited:
The future "fix" for Tufts University's Eaton Hall... Why? If "they" (those with too much of the people's money) try to do something like this with Payson Smith Hall at USM, I think I will have to chain myself to the construction fencing. Notice how they didn't put comparative before and after pictures in the article. They want to "slip it by" before anyone can stop it. I've said this before and I will keep saying it, watch out for some in charge at universities because if you don't, they will spend OUR money negligently and unethically. They've loaded up the article with all the feel-good things the remodel will have, but those can all be done without ruining the integrity of the exterior architecture. If you need more interior light, put in skylights. I can't find the estimated cost anywhere. I'll bet its over $50 million, and would not be surprised if it's 75 or even 90!

https://www.tuftsdaily.com/article/2022/09/eaton-hall-set-to-undergo-complete-renovation

eaton_hall.png
1690292418054.png

Last edited:
Why does it look like they're going to cut the wings off, move them each 4', and then build connectors?

The future "fix" for Tufts University's Eaton Hall... Why? If "they" (those with too much of the people's money) try to do something like this with Payson Smith Hall at USM, I think I will have to chain myself to the construction fencing. Notice how they didn't put comparative before and after pictures in the article. They want to "slip it by" before anyone can stop it. I've said this before and I will keep saying it, watch out for some in charge at universities because if you don't, they will spend OUR money negligently and unethically. They've loaded up the article with all the feel-good things the remodel will have, but those can all be done without ruining the integrity of the exterior architecture. If you need more interior light, put in skylights. I can't find the estimated cost anywhere. I'll bet its over $50 million, and would not be surprised if it's 75 or even 90!

https://www.tuftsdaily.com/article/2022/09/eaton-hall-set-to-undergo-complete-renovation

View attachment 40840View attachment 40841
Wow, obscene. If its 50, 75, 90, why not just a new building??

View attachment 40840View attachment 40841
By all means if you feel that strong about Payson Smith hall chain yourself to the fence. However there really is nothing architecturally significant about
the building to save. It's pretty plain jane and could actually use a good makeover. BTW Payson Smith was a Tufts graduate.
1690413549216.png

The street side looks better. This is the back.

Okay, time for a debate. Bring it on. I think the UM law library building should be renovated rather than razed. I think the mold claim is somewhat bogus in order to get a new building. Universities LOVE to spend other people's money. I would remove the silly castle-like crown and construct a dark glass perimeter rooftop cafe (so now 8 floors instead of 7). I would steam clean the inside and add new tough pile colorful carpeting, paint the walls, and fix ventilation issues. I don't buy the "It needs to be brought up to date with technology" idea. That means that MOST school buildings in Maine are seriously deficient in educational utility. Proper and fast Wi-Fi and outlets for laptops are all that's needed for the majority of course work. And a projector can work for any white wall (there is reflective white paint for this purpose). USM Portland will be growing FAST. When the new buildings open this fall, the school will substantially improve on its desirability as a place to learn. Living in dorms is not an option for older students, especially immigrants. They have families and Portland has more housing options. The law library was built in 1972. I've included another building as a comparison for renovation results/fixes and that was built in 1968--the former Trade Mart building in New Orleans. It is now a Four Seasons Hotel!!!! It's ugly, neck and neck with the law library, but inside... I stayed there for 5 nights last week and it is the best interior designed hotel that I have ever stayed in, and I've stayed all over the U.S. and parts of the world in the nicest hotels. I want to go back just for this hotel. So don't say it can't be done, a renovation of the UM Law School. It can. USM will probably need additional classroom space next year as the school will more than likely thrive with the newly designed campus center. I went to USM Portland years ago and LOVED the area, or the feel of it being in the heart of Portland. Portland is a big draw, or much more than any other areas in Maine, and finally it will have a real university. It's why Boston thrives--Harvard and MIT and B.U.

Two "beauties" (Lol) but the one on the right is GORGEOUS inside. Brains over beauty wins in my book every time.

University_of_Maine_School_of_Law,_Portland_ME.jpg
2_Canal_Street_World_Trade_Center_New_Orleans_2.JPG

Last edited:

Back