View Boston (Observatory) | Prudential Tower | Back Bay

It's just too bad that the John Hancock Tower isn't putting back the obs deck on the top floor or a restaurant there. What a golden opportunity they are missing out on!! It could do something to compete with the Pru, but such is life!! :unsure:

Sadly, the Hancock observation deck was brought to the attention of then-Mayor Walsh in a 2014 Reddit AMA and nothing ever came of it.
1667833416991.png

A social media connection recently posted some selfies from some kind of site visit to the outdoor roof deck component (obscured to protect privacy).
314400453_10228060797920745_2072210628712871199_n.jpg
314100808_10228073402635855_9115847018742784375_n.jpg

Thats going to be an incredible viewing experience. Outdoor observation decks are much better than indoor ones, pretty cool to finally have one in Boston.

This picture from Kz really shows how clean the white looks along with the new glass outdoor deck. Definitely freshened up the pru a lot.

Yeah, just doing the top area makes the whole building look so clean. Almost as though it was rebuilt all over again!!!! The John Hancock Tower seems stubborn! Most obs decks in tall buildings DID reopen. There are about 4 or 5 of them in New York City alone!!!!
:)

Last edited:
Couldn't get photos as I was driving back and forth from Logan this evening, but, the new hat/observation deck was lit up with a pretty elaborate color-changing LED setup (band on the top/bottom framing it), which I don't remember the previous having. Was pretty awesome seeing it shift rainbow colors.

Last edited:
Couldn't get photos as I was driving back and forth from Logan this evening, but, the new hat/observation deck was lit up with a pretty elaborate color-changing LED setup (band on the top/bottom framing it), which I don't remember the previous having. Was pretty awesome seeing it shift rainbow colors.

Hopefully, someone will post it. :)

They do this all month every December, probably for the last decade or so. I wish they would use these lights year round.

They do this all month every December, probably for the last decade or so. I wish they would use these lights year round.
absolutely, but i do agree/think that with the rehab they also recently upgraded the lights. there are more and instead of being static, they can "move."

absolutely, but i do agree/think that with the rehab they also recently upgraded the lights. there are more and instead of being static, they can "move."

They have had moving dual-colored lights for at least the last few years. I agree that they seem to be upgrading them slowly but surely as it goes along, but am not yet convinced that this is something new rather than the normal December awesomeness.

They have had moving dual-colored lights for at least the last few years. I agree that they seem to be upgrading them slowly but surely as it goes along, but am not yet convinced that this is something new rather than the normal December awesomeness.
Oh! I hadn't noticed that they'd been moving prior to recently.

i'm nearly positive this is a new feature. pretty sure they've significantly upgraded the lighting.

I think all the lights are new with the project - I'm not sure exactly which functionality wasn't there with the previous lights.

I’d like to see some photos of the Christmas and New Years Eve lighting.

The owner(s) is going all out to make the building better than it was. Hopefully, it has a little something for everyone to enjoy in the end!! :)

Last edited:
I was about to write that this project / renovation is so completely blah, lackluster, and then I see the night pic. Ok .,. so *that* is pretty cool.

Sorry for the repeated IG findings, but here's a vid from October 2021 with the new letters going up. Signage got a redo presumably (or now confirming) the static lettering replaced with LED.

I think all the lights are new with the project - I'm not sure exactly which functionality wasn't there with the previous lights.

Portions seem to now "move" (sort of like the underside of the roof of the Verizon tower or the weird face mural thing at Assembly), which they didn't before. Also, the two.... pieces of bread making up the Pru hat's "sandwich" (the upper and lower parts of the habitable portion of the crown) now appear to be able, themselves, to emit a contnuous border of light -- not just underlighting or individual bulbs/LEDs. And, as already mentioned, the letters, themselves, now are not always lit in a static manner.

In other words, it seems to be able to replicate the lighting scheme of the past (if so desired), *or* do quite a bit more than previously possible.

Back