Waltham Infill and Small Developments

I drove by the Merc today. Sorry I didn't have any time to take pics but I'm impressed at the quality of materials. It looks like they're using acutal masonary and not precast.

Waltham is seeing a remarkable level of development for a city with traffic clogged skinny streets and inadequate public transportation.

51xdhk.jpg

Construction is chugging along on a 400,000 sf office building on the corner of 128 and Trapelo Road. (Apologies for my crappy pic that I tried to take while driving)

I hate sounding like a NIMBY but I'm worried that all of these developments in Waltham and Burlington will make 128 traffic even worse. It's already pretty horrible.

TySmith -- this is really a re-Construction -- that is the old USPS mail sort facility -- the developer is just replacing the bunker walls with some glass and some minor ad-ons such as nice lobby

It has an immense floor plate -- might be a focus is on labs & office. This facility will actually have fewer vehicle trips and probably fewer employees than when it was a quite labor intensive postal sorting facility

http://callahan-inc.com/project/post-200-smith-st/
Post @ 200 Smith St
WALTHAM, MA

Client
Anchor Line Partners

Architect
CBT Architects

At a glance
395,000 SF
Core and shell renovation
Redevelopment of Post Office headquarters
New facade and site finishes
16,000 SF courtyard
Below-grade parking garage
200_smith_rendering_2.jpg

200_smith_rendering_5.jpg

PS: -- the only access is from Smith Street which only loosely couples to Rt-128 and is also near to Rt-2

Last edited:
^Thanks, I didn't know that was a former sorting facility. It's funny how the natural instinct when you live in an area is to oppose development. It shows how NIMBY's aren't crazy it's just natural to look at changes to a neighborhood with a skeptical eye.

^Thanks, I didn't know that was a former sorting facility. It's funny how the natural instinct when you live in an area is to oppose development. It shows how NIMBY's aren't crazy it's just natural to look at changes to a neighborhood with a skeptical eye.

TySmith -- but you raise a good point about access and such

I always thought that if Rt-128 near Rt-2 was ever redone that there should have been a one way on and off exit provided for the USPS and also a single extra lane connecting directly from Rt-2 all the way to Rt-2A heading north, and similar Rt-2A to Rt-2 heading South

We got the rebuild and a bit of an extra exit lane to Rt-2 -- but not the other ones

Waltham is seeing a remarkable level of development for a city with traffic clogged skinny streets and inadequate public transportation.

Having lived there for 5+ years, the "inadequate public transportation" doesn't seem to quite hold up. Yes, technically it lacks the multiple Green Line branches that Newton just to the south--and the same distance from the downtown core--enjoys. But that's part of what makes Newton, Newton, and Waltham, Waltham.

You know what Waltham still has? A 15-minute trip into North Station on the commuter rail. Dozens--literally, dozens--of express buses to downtown on the Pike for many hours of the day. And of course the 70 bus to Central Square, which is perpetually a sardine can thus demonstrating its utility/success.

So, I guess the point is, "inadequate" to who, relatively speaking? Put it on a spectrum. And you can't call out Newton... because I already did.

^It's inadequate compared to Quincy and Malden. Both of those towns have similar population densities to downtown Waltham and a similar distance to downtown. Yet those towns have rapid transit service. And the commuter rail is mostly for 9-5 jobs, for anything else the frequencies are inadequate.

I just can't think of a town center getting the type of development that Waltham has the past 5 years without some form of rapid transit.

Waltham is a big job center. However a large portion of those jobs are on 128 and very car dependent.

Last edited:
One day I hope to see Waltham better connected to the city. I have a few friends there and its a nice place to go out to eat, but it is absolutely bogged with traffic, and hard to get to. The bus is nice, but thats the only convenient means they have. Its the farthest away "inner suburb" and not due to its distance from the city. Its access. If you live south of the city (as I do) its an absolute pain to get there besides red-70. I hope one day they get DMU's or some type of rapid rail transit out there. We really need to shrink this already small city with better rail transit. Boston is absolutely tiny, but it has big city commute times due to multiple inadequacies.

Good descriptive analyses above, tysmith & stick n move. Agreed on all accounts, I reckon. Does North-South rail link help with any of this?

Good descriptive analyses above, tysmith & stick n move. Agreed on all accounts, I reckon. Does North-South rail link help with any of this?

No. Not at the small-potatoes level we're talking here. That's a region-wide transformative project. Think locally first.

• Waltham needs better Fitchburg Line frequencies. Peak frequencies...reverse-commute frequencies...off-peak frequencies. Any frequencies. On the next schedule revision, and the one after that, and the one after that. . .

• Waltham needs that public-private funded 128 CR station, because that's the linchpin that ties together in one spot: rail, the 70 bus, scaled-up 128 business shuttles, pedestrian connections via the Central Mass trail, and park-and-riders getting off at Exit 26 instead of clogging downtown full of cars. The network effects get exponential the more you bullseye that big-ass node @ 128.

• Waltham needs to whip the private investors along 128 to get behind buildout of biz shuttles spanning that superstation node with Riverside to the south and Hanscom + Burlington + Anderson RTC to the north to fill out that whole 128 quadrant with mobility options that keep the development pump primed. Consider what it'll do for a encore to Polaroid by being able to go up Bear Hill Rd., Winter St., and Wyman St. and kick off another degree of densification to all that commercial space.

• Waltham needs better bus frequencies, period, to amplify the network effects. This can't be done without the T addressing its 12-year-old and totally unacted-upon Bus Facilities Master Plan for increasing its equipment capacity and spread so allllllll those far-west routes in Newton and Waltham don't have to go out on a very thin limb from all the way from tapped-out garages in Medford and Charlestown to get their frequency crumbs. That was the ops plan that was supposed to build a 60-footer garage at Wellington and retrofit Watertown carhouse into a brand-new equipment pipe for Brighton, Newton, Watertown, and Waltham. You can't have any more regular-route frequencies without it. The supply chain is too threadbare that far out of town on a Yellow Line system that's at-capacity.

• Waltham needs an Indigo route of its own if the T ever revisits that now forgotten plan. With Zone fare redistribution (which they forgot to do at all on the Riverside and Lynn proposals). This amps up the network effects of all of the above to another level. Encourages more Yellow Line frequencies, more biz shuttles, more pedestrian frills, lower car volumes throughout.

NSRL doesn't serve up transit options by its lonesome. Executed properly it puts all of Eastern MA through a warp drive...but it doesn't do anything for the places that forgot to mind their local transpo network's scalability. Tackling ^^all of the above^^ bread-and-butter and keeping on the gas pedal with that incremental scale-up is what Waltham's economic future hinges on. Not flinging more trains out of downtown Boston that just blow right past the places that never built anything functional to last-mile connect it all to.

One day I hope to see Waltham better connected to the city. I have a few friends there and its a nice place to go out to eat, but it is absolutely bogged with traffic, and hard to get to. The bus is nice, but thats the only convenient means they have. Its the farthest away "inner suburb" and not due to its distance from the city. Its access. If you live south of the city (as I do) its an absolute pain to get there besides red-70. I hope one day they get DMU's or some type of rapid rail transit out there. We really need to shrink this already small city with better rail transit. Boston is absolutely tiny, but it has big city commute times due to multiple inadequacies.

Stick - these analyses always seem to omit the shuttles operated by the towns and by institutions and finally by business networks -- i don't have any figures -- but I'd be willing to bet that the shuttles carry a significant fraction of the total non passenger car commuter traffic

for example the quite extensive network of shuttles operated by the 128 Business Council in the Waltham area along Rt-128

They operate 12 separate routes in the area of Rt-128 from Lexington to Newton with at least 3 morining and three afternoon ruuns for each route and a mixture of sizes for the vehicleshttp://128bc.org/shuttles/
shuttles_waltham-routea-300x89.jpg

WALTHAM SHUTTLE ROUTE A
Effective Date: 11-23-2015

Waltham Center >> Cimpress (am)
Vehicle Number 137 137 137
Depart Waltham Center (10 Carter Street, Waltham) 8:30 9:30 10:30
Cimpress (275 Wyman Street) 9:00 10:00 10:45
citypoint-logo.png

CITYPOINT
Effective Date: 11-07-2016
Vehicle Number 701 701 701 701
Depart 230 Third Ave at CityPoint 3:15 4:10 5:20 6:35
Depart 77 Fourth Ave at CityPoint 3:17 4:12 5:22 6:37
Depart 500 Totten Pond Rd at CityPoint 3:22 4:17 5:27 6:42
Arrive Alewife 3:45 4:40 6:05 7:10

F-Line: good detailed analysis there. I just had NSRL on the brain, having just Moulton stumping for it, but of course you're right.

tysmith: multiple competing realities here leading to cognitive dissonance: all of the 750 units going up in Waltham in the past 5 years ARE well-served by mass transit, given their close proximity to downtown. At the same time, for a relatively dense inner-tier suburb, it is poorly served, in aggregate, by the mass transit it deserves.

^Yes I agree. Downtown Waltham is served by transit, it just isin't enough for the density of the area.

Last edited:
Along with its proximity to the city. Which goes back to my point that Waltham is the farthest away close inner suburb, and not because of its distance from the core. Its so disconnected from the city in so many major ways that it is basically almost forgotten besides the people who live there. If you do not have close friends who live in Waltham there is no reason someone would jump through the hoops it takes to get there. For me its not as bad because I am on the red line, but for everybody else in the city its a nightmare to get there. If you live far away from downtown on the green line or orange line and do not have a car your trip could be up to 2 hours with multiple transfers between trains and busses along with walking to your final destination. Theres no excuse for this other than the fact that it was never in anybody's interest to connect it. Even Arlington had a proposed red line extension, to my knowledge nothing has ever been planned for waltham. I could be wrong through. Im not an expert as f-line is but I do think that the NSRL would benefit people on the South Station corridor if they could take one train from wherever they were past north station to Waltham. But that is not really what the intent of the NSRL is, along with Waltham not having adequate stops anyways even if it did happen. I would imagine they would add more stations if either the indigo or NSRL were to be put into place though, as it would take years for either of these to be completed.

Along with its proximity to the city. Which goes back to my point that Waltham is the farthest away close inner suburb, and not because of its distance from the core. Its so disconnected from the city in so many major ways that it is basically almost forgotten besides the people who live there. If you do not have close friends who live in Waltham there is no reason someone would jump through the hoops it takes to get there. For me its not as bad because I am on the red line, but for everybody else in the city its a nightmare to get there. If you live far away from downtown on the green line or orange line and do not have a car your trip could be up to 2 hours with multiple transfers between trains and busses along with walking to your final destination. Theres no excuse for this other than the fact that it was never in anybody's interest to connect it. Even Arlington had a proposed red line extension, to my knowledge nothing has ever been planned for waltham. I could be wrong through. Im not an expert as f-line is but I do think that the NSRL would benefit people on the South Station corridor if they could take one train from wherever they were past north station to Waltham. But that is not really what the intent of the NSRL is, along with Waltham not having adequate stops anyways even if it did happen. I would imagine they would add more stations if either the indigo or NSRL were to be put into place though, as it would take years for either of these to be completed.

Waltham never had any rapid transit proposal whatsoever. Bus proximity to Watertown, which had the A Line and has the 71, made that kind of unnecessary. The problem isn't that it hasn't got transit; Waltham Ctr. is a very big bus hub. The problem is that the west-region Yellow Line is so starved for equipment that the frequencies are totally anemic. And heavily skewed to those Pike express buses that are peak-only. They'd have so very much more mobility if the Bus Facilities Master Plan did the Watertown carhouse reno into a full-time bus yard. H2O Sq., Newton Corner, and Waltham Ctr. hubs would all have stratospherically better options for boosting frequencies with that one little line item. Which is non-optional anyway because--as discussed in the Seaport Transpo. thread before it went all Lyle Lanley moving-walkway crashed-into-ditch--they can't even scramble equipment for an ad hoc Seaport reliever via Haul Road without having to rob another key route of vehicles. Every garage district is paralyzed for coping strategies in the meantime.

Fitchburg Line was never really touched because until this most recent upgrade it was the red-headed stepchild of the entire commuter rail. Fourth-world physical plant, slow as hell, perennial system-worst OTP by >10% behind the (many candidates for) next-worst, ass-hurty long schedule, and too-few frequencies. It just climbed out of a 50-year gutter like...18 months ago. Now it's got some legitimate growth ahead of it if they don't cut-and-run on the schedule increases these upgrades paid for. Much of it geared to sustained long-term demand growth for reverse-commutes. Devens is the 495 belt's emerging high-tech sector. City of Fitchburg is having some success leveraging its abundant, fairly cheap, and serviceable-for-retrofit industrial/commercial real estate to poach companies from across the border in New Hampshire who are sick of the fees and bleak outlook for that state's sustainability. Their local transit access has always been pretty solid with MRTA bus coverage, and simply needed the Fitchburg schedules to get out of the gutter. Now it is. And Gardner's got that frequent shuttle bus coming online that hits Wachusett in 10 minutes, giving them access.

Waltham's got a golden opportunity to stake out its place on the Fitchburg chain and drive some of that reverse-commute demand. These 128 redevs are where the next big job sink is going to be, and there'll br a ton of outbound demand from Boston/Cambridge, those subway transfers, and the 70 to get out there to that all-critical 128 CR superstation. As well as ton of demand from Allston and Newton via bus if H2O Sq./Newton Corner/Waltham Ctr. get their frequency infusion of Yellow Line equipment.

Makes it equally critical that they press the flesh hard with the business community to get their coalition onboard with a robust 128 biz shuttle scale-up. Because look at what the next development goldmines are if you solve for last-mile transpo:

• Bear Hill Rd. and the entire west side commercial/industrial. Which will become more accessible when that whole plan for a 117-to-20 connector road de-isolates that side from 128 and the future CR station site.
  • Wyman St., continuing north of the Polaroid grid en route to Trapelo and Route 2 through all those other corporate campuses and business hotels. Quite a few infill parcels here, and the somewhat sprawly campuses are ripe for light densification makeover.
  • Winter St. and the Raytheon campus. Also a few choice infill/densification parcels out there.
None of these places really have any overarching master plan. Especially Bear Hill, which has very attractive parcel density the whole span between 117 and Totten Pond but scattershot land use and too much asphalt waste for too little usable square footage at those buildings.

You can kick-start a new master plan for framing 128 all the way up to the Lexington town line by getting the transpo ducks in a row: the Fitchburg superstation, the Fitchburg frequencies (think general-purpose first, Indigo when the T gets its head screwed on straight), the bus frequencies--70 tied in with the superstation and the relief for Waltham Ctr.'s Yellow Line starvation--, and the biz shuttles. A circulator that just makes a loop through Polaroid, Wyman, Winter/Bear Hill in a big circle around both sides of 128 could pretty much run all day with the activity around here. Especially when you consider basic workday logistics like...uh...people at Raytheon gotta eat somewhere other than the company cafeteria, and all the good food is over by Polaroid. Another circulator that pings down 128 to Riverside helps drag up those commuters to where the jobs are. A third one that pings north to Hanscom, Burlington, and Anderson RTC reels in those, and connects the 3 big corporate clusters of this side of 128 together. Far better than that anemic and hopelessly long Alewife shuttle ever did.

Put the mobility pieces together from Waltham Ctr. bus terminal and the reverse-commute rail schedules, and crank up the densification at the other 128 parks as Polaroid's encore and Waltham could honest-to-god double or triple its tax base in 20 years. I don't know if you want to call that lower-case Cambridge/Somerville or some other analogue, but they go in a very short period from being a faceless suburb to one of those "donor" job revenue generators that gets to throw some weight around in the halls of power like the big boys closer to the CBD. All while not needing to change the nature of their downtown and classical community any more than they prefer, because the home-run swing at densification is by 128 where the traffic belongs and easy/frequent access is all that's needed to join them together.

Double or triple the tax base. Who else in Eastern MA has an opportunity to do that without selling out their community's soul?

^well said. I really hope this comes to fruition. Like I said before Boston is a tiny city, theres no reason places like Waltham should be as disconnected as they are. Yes Waltham is not a part of Boston Id rather not turn this thread into another one of those, but you know what Im saying. As small as this city is it should be a cake walk to get to anything remotely close to the city. Anything within 15-20 miles should be very easily accessible and immediately the city becomes bigger and more connected. The city can become much bigger without a single tower crane rising if we just connect the surrounding suburbs better.

City just released a draft 179 page Master Transportation plan report. Go to city website for link.

Looks richly detailed and comprehensive and such neat maps... but how embarrassing that they're obligated to cite the Tick-Tock Trolley on pp. 42 and 59 (at minimum). I have seen it in action dozens of dozens of times--never with a single. solitary. passenger. I can only conclude that it is the textbook definition of a boondoggle. It drives. It pollutes. It gives a handful of the mayor's friends some driving jobs. It just has zero utility. In fact, I'd say it has negative utility, in how it strives to divert people from the singularly pleasant, healthy pastime that is strolling along the delightfully walkable Moody St. corridor that it pointlessly circuits.

Looks richly detailed and comprehensive and such neat maps... but how embarrassing that they're obligated to cite the Tick-Tock Trolley on pp. 42 and 59 (at minimum). I have seen it in action dozens of dozens of times--never with a single. solitary. passenger. I can only conclude that it is the textbook definition of a boondoggle. It drives. It pollutes. It gives a handful of the mayor's friends some driving jobs. It just has zero utility. In fact, I'd say it has negative utility, in how it strives to divert people from the singularly pleasant, healthy pastime that is strolling along the delightfully walkable Moody St. corridor that it pointlessly circuits.

I agree, the biggest problem is its not advertised at all. The stops are not clearly marked either. Most people don't even know this option exists.

Back