Waltham Infill and Small Developments

Stlin

Reaction score
Every single time I'm here I'm left wondering how the street grid got so royally fucked. Every north-south road has a bunch of awkward bends (I know I know--topography) and especially in the area where I was shooting it would seem about 70% of the roads just dead end. It's the ultimate cul-de-sac office park, and any real change here is going to hinge on them making sense of that confounding street grid.

Edit: and the fact that they named these roads as "2nd Ave" or "4th Ave" is hilarious considering they're just glorified office park access roads.
Speaking of the roads in this area... Why does Border Road have those gate arms, and whats with the eternal construction site there? I get the power lines are a massive blocker, but still.

Java King

Reaction score
Isn't there a large chunk of woods behind this area?
I used to work at 300 Fifth Avenue for several years. Prospect Woods is directly behind the office complex. It's a stunningly beautiful location with a killer view of the Boston skyline at several locations as you crest over the hill and look to the east.

We hardly ever walked anywhere besides the trails in the Prospect Woods. Every building used to have a self-contained restaurant for lunch. Sometimes, we would walk to another building like the one with the big bulge near 128 just to use their café and mix things up a bit. The views west over 128 were pretty nice because of the elevation change. The arrow was my office near a pretty cool roof deck for office parties back in the dot com days! For any architects, this was Revit Technology before Autodesk. :)

Revit_Waltham.jpg

Equilibria

Reaction score
Speaking of the roads in this area... Why does Border Road have those gate arms, and whats with the eternal construction site there? I get the power lines are a massive blocker, but still.
The gate arms were a requirement from the City of Waltham to prevent people from using Border Road (and more importantly Stow Street) as an alternative to Route 128. I suspect that they'll be removed at some point as Stow is disconnected from 117, the 1265 Main complex gets built out, and this office park is densified.

Incidentally, the plans for 1265 Main have changed again. Assembly-inspired multi-use density is out, life science office park is in:

1638969732920.png

1638969803159.png

Last edited:

W-4

Reaction score
^ The proposed development is also ugly as all get out.

Im just so sick of these stupid square turrets as a means to pretend that an ugly box with cheap materials has something of visual interest to offer. The design has become so linked with cheap development in my mind that it automatically brings it down when I see it.
This 40B cube is ending up even more cube-like than promised:

20220313_143617.jpg

Also LOL at the number of pedestrians in that old rendering. This area is just a passthrough for freight and suburban commuters that use 117.

Reactions: FK4

W-4

Reaction score
The gate arms were a requirement from the City of Waltham to prevent people from using Border Road (and more importantly Stow Street) as an alternative to Route 128. I suspect that they'll be removed at some point as Stow is disconnected from 117, the 1265 Main complex gets built out, and this office park is densified.
As someone who's in the area frequently, I can tell you that the gates have not been closed any time in the past four years. They're not stopping anybody from driving through.

Furthermore, Bear Hill/2nd Ave already serves the purpose as a more-direct 128 alternative.

Tom Nevers

Reaction score
Did a round trip bike ride along the Charles from Waltham to Cambridge last weekend. Sections of Moody St. were opened to pedestrians, much to the joy of little kids on scooters. Below are a few pictures I took while walking around in the evening.
E031A1C7-D32B-43EB-AB36-9CE55029946C.jpeg
AF5C9B7E-A71B-4A92-AE51-8C177B809BD9.jpeg
28A19801-D279-4790-8054-81A961AD2AD2.jpeg

shmessy

Reaction score
Great pics, but my overriding question is "Where are the humanoids????"

It really is a perfect example that we have buildings but very little housing.

Build the residential towers NOW. Our city centers should not look like they got hit with neutron bombs.