Waterside Place 1A | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Re: Waterside Place

The planning is all over the place by the city or the BRA whoever is running the show. Lets throw a 400ft building here, a 350ft over there....

Isn't there a 235' height limit in this part of the city? Even if it is mostly mediocre, at least nothing can do too much damage to the appearance of the city. It is definitely a joke though.

On the other hand, let's get that 350' and 400' building into Cambridge, (Kendall) and we have a whole new complementary skyline across the river!

Isn't there a 235' height limit in this part of the city? Even if it is mostly mediocre, at least nothing can do too much damage to the appearance of the city. It is definitely a joke though.

On the other hand, let's get that 350' and 400' building into Cambridge, (Kendall) and we have a whole new complementary skyline across the river!

DZ -- I think there might be a 300 foot limit somewhere in the SPID -- but as you get closer to the water and closer to aligning with runways the height falls off fairly precipitously

as for Cambridge / Kendall -- where would you site the 300+ to 400 footer

It would have to be close to Kendall or Central on the Red Line to meet public transit as commuter preference that Cambridge accepts as gospel

Seaport Square seems to include quite a lot of currently empty space. They need to build something. What's more embarrassing here, SPID or Filene's? I'm leaning towards SPID, but Filene's gets more eyes on it.

Seaport Square seems to include quite a lot of currently empty space. They need to build something. What's more embarrassing here, SPID or Filene's? I'm leaning towards SPID, but Filene's gets more eyes on it.

Are the downtown ambassadors a product of the SPID? If so, they are the only good thing to come from it. Those people are quite helpful to tourists.

If you look at this post below.

The planning is all over the place by the city or the BRA whoever is running the show. Lets throw a 400ft building here, a 350ft over there, whoever breaks ground first receives a free park paid by the city.
This is a disaster in the making.

Even if your numbers are a bit off... isn't that what are always looking for instead of the plateau we typically get? Everyone maxing out height with fat ass single lot mega block buildings that are all the exact same height on a rectilinear street grid is BORING and unattractive at best.

The 2 buildings in that article and picture for Seaport Square (A) are the most exciting ones so far, as the plan that I mentioned a few months back actually is attractive and seems to have the best street level of anything designed for the area. The Innovation Center may be a marketing scheme, but that is going in. Things are actually moving forward, and should pick up steam once a few brave souls pave the way.

Seaport Square is the real lynchpin for the area to start growing and developing as a neighborhood, and Fan Pier is the smaller but just as important engine. Both of these connect the Seaport to Dowtown, and will help things spread and will bridge the gap with the Massport lots.

Vertex moving in, is the first real step forward (at a big cost) to getting people in the area. The key is keeping them in the area, and that is where residential, retail, and entertainment comes in.

All work and no play will make the Seaport a very dull boy if this doesn't happen.

^^^^
Your theory sounds good on a positive spin for Seaport. Maybe if you build them they will come. But how do you not keep people & businesses from flocking back to the DTX & Financial area in the Long-term? The Transporation grid is more accessible to that area than the Seaport.
****Can the rents or condo prices justify Construction Costs for future projects at Seaport without taxpayer percs?
Ask John Keith if the demand is there for Condos and expensive rents in the Seaport. Keith is the Real Estate guru of the city. Anybody buying condos? How is the W-Hotel doing these days?

Supply & Demand comes into play.

Vertex moving in, is the first real step forward (at a big cost) to getting people in the area. The key is keeping them in the area, and that is where residential, retail, and entertainment comes in.

All work and no play will make the Seaport a very dull boy if this doesn't happen.

Seam -- there seems to be quite a bit of playing in the SPID (or at least eating)

the SPID -- particularly near the Fort Point Channel, toward the BCEC, and most recently along the Harborwalk is becoming one of the most restaurant intensive neighborhoods in all of Boston

I believe that there might be close to 50 restaurants that are open, under-construction or at least rumored

So far however they depend mostly on visitors -- what they need for the long-term success is a supply of local residents who are willing to eat out regularly

See for example:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/ps/4/817/boston-westin-boston-waterfront-nearby-restaurants

Seam -- there seems to be quite a bit of playing in the SPID (or at least eating)

the SPID -- particularly near the Fort Point Channel, toward the BCEC, and most recently along the Harborwalk is becoming one of the most restaurant intensive neighborhoods in all of Boston

I believe that there might be close to 50 restaurants that are open, under-construction or at least rumored

So far however they depend mostly on visitors -- what they need for the long-term success is a supply of local residents who are willing to eat out regularly

See for example:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/ps/4/817/boston-westin-boston-waterfront-nearby-restaurants
Hence my aforementioned need for retail, dining, and entertainment.

There is plenty of dining as has been mentioned a thousand times, but it is mainly high end, and as you point out, it's all transients. The ongoing problem is that no one lives there. I work here everyday, and having been hoping for some more affordable lunch stops for the last 7 years....

The cost of living whether in apartments or condos is something I don't know enough about to comment on intelligently. I look at the costs in the city, especially for new construction and have a hard time fathoming it (especially condos with their fees, I'm jaded from my one time living in a condo.) Are there enough people making the dough to fill this place? I don't know. I hope so. Companies moving in, with well paid employees who want to live near work and entertainment will surely fill some of it, but how much?

I received a notice at work that construction on Waterside Place is going to start in July.

Waterside Place luxury apt. project to start June 26

Developer John Drew will break ground on his long-delayed Waterside Place 236-unit apartment project on the South Boston waterfront later this month.

The Drew Co. is planning a June 26 event for the 20-story luxury residential project at the corner of Congress and D streets.

The Boston Redevelopment Authority approved Waterside Place in June 2007. But the project, along with many others across Boston, was shelved during the Great Recession.

Drew also reworked the plan, changing it from condominiums to apartments. The phased project will have retail spaces, possibly including a supermarket.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...ject_to_start_june_26/srvc=home&position=also

Hoping the supermarket works out.. that would be a big step towards developing this "neighboorhood." I have a feeling Whole Foods is/was considering this space since they turned down the Ink Block.

Huh, I thought Waterside Place was supposed to be a shopping mall?

Huh, I thought Waterside Place was supposed to be a shopping mall?

It was quite some time ago but has been changed to primarily residential for awhile now. There will still be sizable retail component to the project though. Supermarket sounds good to me.

another crane for the summer.

cde407_061312waterside02.jpg

3ad174_Waterside_Place_Phase_I_Night.jpg

7b46db_061312waterside01.jpg

Renderings from the Herald article above.

Nothing awful, nothing great, it's narrow which is good. Looks a bit like a hotel to me tho.

More glass and precast. Innovation District is fast becoming the Precast Facade District.

(note: these images are a couple years old)

Bigger:
Waterside+Place+Phase+I+Night.jpg

Last edited:

Yuck -- the building itself is fine, but who wants to walk through that sea of emptiness in order to get to it?

so will that back part at the base be there still? what has been taken out from the original mall proposal

Back