Waterside Place 1A | 505 Congress Street | Seaport

Re: Waterside Place

Jiminy Cricket, ChnkyMonkey ... where was that quote from? About Waterside Place being downsized? I can't find the original posttttttttt!

Back to stadiums, a Revolution stadium keeps coming up. In my opinion, this is great, but leaves room for more. The Revs fill the stadium about 20 times a year (I believe). I think, if a stadium were built it would be best for a joint Revolution/Cannons stadium. The Cannons fill a home stadium 7 times per year, and with lacrosse being the fastest growing sport in the country, this number would surely grow. Also, the seasons are fairly separate, and the conversion from soccer to lacrosse is very, very simple.

Back to stadiums, a Revolution stadium keeps coming up.

This is the Waterside Place thread. Isn't there a stadium thread somewhere where this would be more appropriate?

Back to stadiums, a Revolution stadium keeps coming up. In my opinion, this is great, but leaves room for more. The Revs fill the stadium about 20 times a year (I believe). I think, if a stadium were built it would be best for a joint Revolution/Cannons stadium. The Cannons fill a home stadium 7 times per year, and with lacrosse being the fastest growing sport in the country, this number would surely grow. Also, the seasons are fairly separate, and the conversion from soccer to lacrosse is very, very simple.

MLS has a season with 15 guaranteed home games.

On top of that you have playoffs (Revs have made the final the past 2 years)
US Open Cup (Revs usually qualify)
Superliga (This is the first year the revs are involved)
CONCACAF Champions League (revs involved, guaranteed 1 game, potentially 4)
Friendlies.
Copa Sudamericana (Revs have never qualified)

So a season can have 15-30 home games, which is a much higher use than an NFL stadium...

Waterside Place plans undergoing changes

Boston Business Journal - by Michelle Hillman
Friday, October 31, 2008

The long-awaited mega-retail and air-rights project called Waterside Place in South Boston is being retooled and likely will emerge as a much smaller ? and easier to finance ? development. Major design changes are under way that would eliminate the need for a costly deck to be built above state highway ramps.

Waterside Place is the latest project to suffer setbacks due to financial constraints caused by the credit crisis.

Originally, Waterside Place was designed as a 640,000-square-foot retail center, a 300-room hotel and a 19-story, 200-unit residential building. The retail portion of the project will be reduced by at least 100,000 square feet and the hotel and residential components likely will shrink. By how much has not yet been determined.

John Drew of the Drew Co. is talking to the Massachusetts Port Authority, which owns the 11 acres where he plans to build Waterside Place, about building the air-rights project in phases rather than one, large project. The new design will give Drew flexibility in terms of securing financing and pacing the development to match market needs.

Developers are having difficulty securing financing for projects because banks shore up their balance sheets by hoarding cash and steering clear of risky loans. As a result, a number of developments in Boston are crawling along, or not progressing at all. Last week, Drew told the Boston Business Journal that he was proceeding slowly with Waterside Place because the market was in bad shape. Drew did not return a phone call for comment this week.

Drew, whose partner is New York-based Vornado Realty Trust, had filed plans to construct Waterside Place ? which is bordered by Congress and D streets, World Trade Center Avenue and the Mass Haul Road ? over the Massachusetts Turnpike by building a deck or platform. The plan being considered now would consist of building three separate structures on land that would not require a deck. One source said the chance of a deck being built is about 5 percent.

Financing a project of Waterside Place?s magnitude is certainly an issue for Drew, but he is also facing high costs related to the concrete and steel needed to build the deck, said Lowell Richards, chief development officer of Massport.

?If we don?t have a deck it would probably have to be three distinct developments as opposed to air rights,? Richards said.

Richards said building a deck at this point is financially unfeasible because of the cost of materials. It?s being made even more difficult because of the financial crisis, he added.

Richards said it would be easier to obtain financing for a phased project, but even with a construction loan in hand, Drew wouldn?t be able to start the first phase without some degree of certainty that the remaining two phases could be financed. The city is taking a hard look at requiring developers to secure financing before construction begins.

Richards said the retail aspect of the project could shrink by 100,000 square feet to 150,000 square feet. He was unsure whether the hotel or residential portions of the project would be reduced and said many of the issues being worked out depend on parking.

?I don?t consider it to be a totally different project,? Richards said. ?The design would be totally different but the uses will still be the same.?

Drew has a long-term lease with Massport for the South Boston land where Waterside Place will be built. Significant changes to the project?s design may require the agreement to be revised, said Lowell.

Drew has been planning and designing Waterside Place since 2004 on land previously known as the Core Block. The project was looked at as a boon to the South Boston waterfront neighborhood where a mix of residences, retailers and entertainment uses have long been promised. Despite delays, Massport and Drew are working to move a redesigned project forward

Waterside Place hit a snag last year when two of Drew?s former partners ? Edward A. Fish Associates and the Kraft Group LLC, operating as Maxx Private Investments LLC ? sued Vornado and him, alleging the project had exceeded the agreed upon $600 million budget. Fish and the Kraft Group are no longer involved in the project, Fish confirmed in an phone interview. He said development ?just isn?t working these days.?

Vivien Li, executive director of the Boston Harbor Association, said few projects are moving forward and those that are should be applauded. Li said a phased development would allow Drew to build only what makes sense now and postpone other uses, like residential, until the market rebounds.

?It?s a tough market,? she said. ?I think that it?s challenging to get financing. I don?t think any one project you could say is dead on arrival ... all along the waterfront it has been a challenge to develop.?

Link

A.) How close to the original design was the height limit?
B.) Will current finances determine a taller height as more financially feasible (not building over a deck)?
C.) Will Southie let them build to the 300' limit or whatever it might be in that local?

I would support people tubes over the highway here.... would anyone not?

Seaport developer: Loans aren?t there
Ca$h crunch stalls project

By Thomas Grillo | Friday, December 5, 2008

A Seaport project is treading water.

Waterside Place, the 11-acre site across from the Boston Convention & Exhibition Center, was expected to open next year with more than 500,000 square feet of retail, a 20-story condominium section and a 300-room hotel. But the project is stalled due to lack of cash.

?Looking for financing now would be very frustrating,? said developer John Drew, president of the Drew Co.

?We?ll wait until things calm down in the financial markets, when banks feel more comfortable about lending. Getting loans in excess of $50 million is almost impossible.?

Last year, the Boston Redevelopment Authority approved the mixed-use development that is expected to add 200 condos, upscale shops, a grocery store and restaurants to the South Boston neighborhood. The $690 million project is being developed by a partnership with Vornado Realty Trust.

Under a revised schedule, groundbreaking will be in 2010, Drew said. But Waterside is not the only project floundering in an economic tsunami. Construction has also stopped at One Franklin, Gale International?s redevelopment of the Filene?s building in Downtown Crossing.

Three major commercial projects are set to open in a few years with 1.3 million square feet of space including Russia Wharf, Two Financial Center and One Fan Pier. But retail and condo projects such as Waterside and Filene?s are in limbo.

?Retail scares lenders and equity investors,? said Casimir Groblewski, managing director at Fantini & Gorga, a Boston firm that arranges financing for commercial projects. ?Just look at what?s happened to Circuit City, Linens ?N Things and Tweeter. Even high-end retailers like Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom are battening down the hatches. On the residential side, condo financing is almost impossible to get.?

http://www.bostonherald.com/business/real_estate/view.bg?articleid=1136906

This whole situation is getting scarier by the day. Every day it seems a new development is put on hold...

To all aB members with a cushy bank account:

Please spend money this holiday season. Write your rep with whatever ideas you have.

On a happier note, MA and VT were two of only 6 states in the US whose economies were growing (in terms of what, I'm not sure).

Or, if you'd really like to prevent this kind of mess from happening again, work to reform the monetary system.

Reform the monetary system...as in how...?

I'd agree we have to reform lending practices, and government deficit spending needs to be cut back. But "reform the monetary system" is ridiculously vague.

Hard money (commodity-backed, not debt-based): essentially, abolish the Fed and return to a metallic standard.

Ron-Paul.jpg

MA really is in relatively decent shape (knock on wood). There have been comparatively few layoffs here - the T being packed to record levels is just some evidence of that. Expensive restaurants still fill up. The next Massachusetts miracle may just be survival.

The mood in New York is noticeably more grim...and I can't even imagine Rhode Island, where unemployment is now near 10%.

As for this bloated Seaport mall...thank god the credit crisis finally mauled something worth killing.

Right...

...why wasn't Macallen built in SBW?

Kennedy, what are the other 4 states that having growing economies?

I believe New Mexico and Colorado were in there...it was a Yahoo! News article a few weeks back. Maybe one of the northern states...I want to say Wisconsin but there's no way that's possible. I'm almost positive on NM and CO though.

North Dakota's economy is currently booming like crazy. No, I'm not kidding.

That would be the northern state I'm thinking of then.

Back