Watertown Infill and Small Developments

^ You post all these numbers to try and prove tysmith wrong in his (accurate, reasonable) statement, and you use them to conclude that "Waltham is not really much different than Newton in Density". Then when it's pointed out that your numbers don't mean too much you weasel out of it by mansplaining that "you see the concept of density is a bit in the eye of the beholder".

What is your point, exactly?

NO -- my point was that by lumping Watertown/Waltham together in comparison to Newton TySmith -- muddied the matter -- there was some unintentional confusion inserted into the discussion. As my list showed Waltham [ Population (2010)
• Total 60,632
• Density 4,705.4/sq mi (1,816.4/km2) ]

and Newton [Population (2010)
• Total 85,146
• Density 4,600.6/sq mi (1,783.1/km2) ] are on the aggregate nearly equal in density with Watertown [Population (2010)
• Total 31,915
• Density 7,932.0/sq mi (3,068.0/km2) ] dramatically different

But my other "weasel point" was that these aggregates are deceptive -- driving along Main Street [Rt-20] in Waltham and crossing into Watertown -- there is no detectable difference

Much like driving from Waltham center to Lexington Center along Lexington / Waltham Street -- the border is unknowable except with a good GPS. Yet on aggregate Lexington's density [Population (2010)
• Total 31,394
• Density 1,900/sq mi (730/km2)]
is close to Woburn's and less than 1/3 of Waltham's

Indeed in crossing between Waltham and Newton there are different impressions depending on the via you are using

So as I weaseled -- the density term doesn't really mean the same in different contexts [e.g. people versus # of commercial establishments; major buildings versus a Google street view] or even in the same context when applied to dramatically different scales such as Chelsea with its 2.5 square miles and Plymouth with its 134 sq. mi.

Chelsea
Area
• Total 2.5 sq mi (6.4 km2)
• Land 2.2 sq mi (5.7 km2)
• Water 0.2 sq mi (0.6 km2)
Population (2014)
• Total 38,861
• Density 17,664.1/sq mi (6,820.1/km2)

Plymouth
Area
• Total 134.0 sq mi (347.0 km2)
• Land 96.5 sq mi (249.8 km2)
• Water 37.5 sq mi (97.2 km2)
Elevation[3] 187 ft (57 m)
Population (2010)
• Total 58,271
• Density 608.1/sq mi (234.9/km2)

However, The core of Plymouth at 3.9 sq. mi [Plymouth Center, Massachusetts is a Census-designated place (CDP) in the town of Plymouth] is not quite double the area of Chelsea and with a Population Density while still far less than Chelsea is about 3X the average for the whole town of Plymouth

Plymouth Center
• Total 3.9 sq mi (10.1 km2)
• Land 2.3 sq mi (5.9 km2)
• Water 1.7 sq mi (4.3 km2)

Population (2010)
• Total 7,494
• Density 1,900/sq mi (740/km2)

Miles off-topic half-page walls of copypasta are interesting? You might not want to put that up to a show-of-hands vote.

F-line -- I think there are more interesting points which we've been discussing embedded in the above posting than in much of your musings on the possibilities of restoring the A branch of the Green Line -- very very few care one whit about something which will Never Happen in any of our lifetimes

F-line -- I think there are more interesting points which we've been discussing embedded in the above posting than in much of your musings on the possibilities of restoring the A branch of the Green Line -- very very few care one whit about something which will Never Happen in any of our lifetimes

Yep because infrastructure will never be improved. On this site we will just come to the realization that no transit improvements will ever happen in our lifetimes, so why bother talking about it.

(this is sarcasm)

Last edited:

Then tell us, Professor, what in god's name a half-page bullet list of land areas of random municiplities has to do with the topic?

Maybe you should get to the damn point for a change instead of burying the topic in dumptrucks of thread pollution then trying to deflect your own actions onto other posters when called on it.

Looks like construction has commenced at the Irving Street development. This parcel is huge.

PvOlYrDH0ln4-WNLyYA4BID8ECSmjWr7C3o2lk1c1Hk77VNGwAtnYBWnms9Ix4cN9FFYt0Tu=w1770-h967-no

Globe: Arsenal Mall rebuild to begin soon, under new name

Boston Globe said:
Developers are taking the wraps off a major renovation of Arsenal Mall.

Boylston Properties is unveiling new renderings and getting ready to launch a massive modernization of the Watertown shopping center, which will replace an aging section of the mall, and much of its vast parking lots, with new retail buildings and about 500 apartments. The mall will be renamed Arsenal Yards.

[...]

BoylstonProperties_01artesanal01_biz.jpg

I hope they can get the developer to throw some money at the T for improved #70 bus service.

Why are the people in renderings always stick thin? Will people not buy a condo or rent an office if a few "regular" sized people appear in the renderings?

Architectural Renderings ... like models in a clothing catalog, are often 100% fashion.

That's why.

cca

A 145-room Hampton Inn is expected to be built at the new Arsenal Yards project. The new hotel and garage will be in the first phase of the redevelopment project, along with half of the planned retail and restaurants, with the hotel opening in the spring of 2019. In total, the Arsenal Yards development will feature 350,000 square feet of retail and entertainment, about 500 apartments, and 100,000 square feet of existing office space

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/news/2017/04/21/watertowns-400-arsenal-yards-project-will-be.html

P.S. Arsenal Yards might warrant it's own thread

Back