Wentworth Institute of Technology Expansion | Fenway

is this conspicuous feature located at a fortuitous part of campus?

^^ Thom Mayne's work is interesting. Sometimes it's worth discussing, in the context of his contemporaries (Coop Himmelb(l)au, Eric Owen Moss, Daniel Libeskind, etc).

After all these years, I still haven't decided if any of this stuff is actually "good."

I love his work, and hate when he talks about it. Its all mushy BS. In contrast to Greg Lynn who talks a wonderful game about pretty much the same approach ... but his executed work is garbage. I will take well crafted goofy ideas over poorly executed genius any day ... but that is just me.

cca

Mayne too often comes off as the "smartest guy in the room." That's never been a good look. Lynn strikes me as more of a stylist/concept-generator. He's a wisp of smoke next to Libeskind's shards and spikes. Their results are mostly barely inhabitable ideas that folks like us like talking about...

Of the field of post-Gehry "edgy architects," my money's always on Antoine Predock -- he's Corbu for the Information Age.

I love his work, and hate when he talks about it. Its all mushy BS. In contrast to Greg Lynn who talks a wonderful game about pretty much the same approach ... but his executed work is garbage. I will take well crafted goofy ideas over poorly executed genius any day ... but that is just me.

cca

Mayne too often comes off as the "smartest guy in the room." That's never been a good look. Lynn strikes me as more of a stylist/concept-generator. He's a wisp of smoke next to Libeskind's shards and spikes. Their results are mostly barely inhabitable ideas that folks like us like talking about...

Of the field of post-Gehry "edgy architects," my money's always on Antoine Predock -- he's Corbu for the Information Age.

It all starts and ends with Piano for me. He is the only one putting it all together at that level of design. There are others who are his copies who do lighter versions of what he brings ... I can leave all the rest to their theoretical 1:1 scale study models. All of them.

Don't get me wrong. I like the fact that those firms exist, I just wish we called them building sculptors or something other than Architects. I actually we should stop using the word architect too. Building Designer is a much more accurate statement in my world.

The COO has been issued. Congrats to Leers and Gilbane on a fantastic project. This thing really flew up and isn't just plain, simple garbage either. It's a complex, thoughtful building.

Today Gilbane presented Wentworth with the Occupancy Certificate for their New CEIS Building. This was truly a team effort! Hats off to our partners @wentworthinst @STV_DPM @LeersWeinzapfel @GilbaneNewEng #gilbaneproud

https://twitter.com/HbennerNeil/status/1060625355424309248

DrgZIkoWoAEmPjY.jpg

There are so many small ways this could have turned out to be shit and it didn't. Bravo. It really fits well into the quad.

Yup ... this wins. They always pull it off.

cca

Back