Wentworth Mixed-Use Life Sciences Complex | 500 Huntington Ave | Fenway

datadyne007

Staff member
Reaction score
500 Huntington and the Sweeney to Parker move is back on. Just got this email...

Dear Wentworth Alumni:

I am delighted to share with you today that Wentworth is engaging in two new exciting development projects.

1. Our athletic field is being relocated to Parker Street as part of a new athletic field space built over a parking deck located at 600 Parker Street. We will break ground on the new athletic field/parking garage this summer and are targeting 2023 for completion.
2. Wentworth and Huntington Development Group (HDG), a joint venture of The Fallon Company, Owens Companies, and Waldwin Development Company, have reached agreement to develop 500 Huntington Avenue, a vital part of Wentworth’s Institutional Master Plan. Initial plans for this 640,000 sq.-ft. mixed-use life sciences facility will support retail, dining, and commercial space for the community.

Both projects will play a key role in securing the university’s future as a cutting-edge, hands-on center for educational opportunity and a high-quality student experience. These multi-year projects will be transformational for Wentworth and will greatly impact our students, faculty, staff, and our surrounding community, particularly Mission Hill and Fenway.

I will continue to keep you updated as the development process moves forward.

Respectfully Yours,

Mark A. Thompson, Ph.D.
President

Prior Proposal (2013):
http://www.bostonplans.org/getattachment/051276cc-2a13-46bf-8e2e-a93967cd9afa

1652805575032.png

1652805583718.png

1652805477429.png

1652805498519.png

1652805539189.png

Last edited:
Is it still this same project? 280' will be pretty tall over there, the same height as the Mass Art Tree House.

Nice, I havent seen those renders before. Prety substantial tower that would be a nice addition to huntington ave along with the existing dorm towers. Its great to see more and more schools building dorm towers to help get students out of apartments and into dorms to help free up some housing for the rest of us. Hopefully this and the other few proposals go through without a hitch.

If only this project and the 630 dorms went up a few years earlier... I'd probably have been a WIT student instead of heading down south this fall. Already know I'll miss Boston

This is going to be a "mixed-use life sciences project" according to the BBJ article. I wouldn't be surprised if the tower is cut down substantially and the massing totally reconfigured in a manner that is more conducive to laboratory use. I hope not, but we'll have to wait for the filing with BPDA to find out. From the BBJ article:

Wentworth Institute of Technology has brought on a development team that includes The Fallon Co. to oversee a large mixed-use life sciences project on the university’s campus at the border of Boston’s Fenway and Mission Hill neighborhoods.

Fallon Co. is partnering with Boston-based firms Waldwin Development Co. and The Owens Cos. on a 640,000-square-foot facility at 500 Huntington Ave. The site has been home to Sweeney Field, where Wentworth athletic teams have played, according to a statement Monday. In addition to labs, the facility is expected to include retail and restaurant space.

I wonder how this project will interface with Northeastern's plans to develop their portion of that block?

The original proposal for 500 Huntington was already intended for R&D purposes (noting biomedical research and engineering) at the same square footage (dorms were never part of the picture). Not sure how drastic the changes in requirements are for "life sciences" compared to "biomedical research," but here's to hoping the original massing remains.

The original proposal for 500 Huntington was already intended for R&D purposes (noting biomedical research and engineering) at the same square footage (dorms were never part of the picture). Not sure how drastic the changes in requirements are for "life sciences" compared to "biomedical research," but here's to hoping the original massing remains.
CBeck is talking about 630 Huntington (the proposed dorm tower on the small park/former gas station beside Baker Hall and 610)

I wonder how this project will interface with Northeastern's plans to develop their portion of that block?
Has there been any commotion on that front? I know there were plans for a temporary building to built on the Punter’s plot before constructing a more permanent lot with Burstein and Rubenstein.

O the contrary, I’ve always thought it to be uniquely Boston.

I think more uniquely Boston would be walking down the back staircase of the MFA and finding yourself in a very well-manicured swamp.

Sweeny Field I could take or leave.

I think more uniquely Boston would be walking down the back staircase of the MFA and finding yourself in a very well-manicured swamp.

Sweeny Field I could take or leave.
To each his/her/they own.

Back