Wentworth Mixed-Use Life Sciences Complex | 500 Huntington Ave | Fenway

LOL’ing at the rendering, not the story*. Why did someone go out of their way to deliberately butcher the 3D renderings of existing buildings in the photo? EXP, West Village, and ISEC—basically every NU building is deliberately cheapened in this rendering to make Wentworth’s addition to stand out. Was that really necessary?

They look like the new hospital additions being built at MGH, except they're green. What's the sloppy looking tower to the left over the orange brick base?

Can't tell how this interfaces with Northeastern's portion of the block. There would have to be a blank wall facing NU if they are building right up to the property line.

Architect 1: What if we came up with a design which could create a harmony between the MFA and original WIT building?

Architect 2: What if we did the complete opposite?

Architect 1: Brilliant!

In all seriousness, if you can't create harmony with those buildings given the difference in massing, a complete contrast is probably your next best option to avoid looking silly.

This is basically the same design we loved and mourned losing at Parcel 12 without the curves.

If this were housing, it’d be dorms for Wentworth students. Not quite the same as the 10 5/1s going up in Everett.
Why? It’s a ground lease. Wentworth itself isn’t developing these buildings.

Why? It’s a ground lease. Wentworth itself isn’t developing these buildings.

Yeah, added the second option of an ultra-lux high rise. Either way, it wouldn’t take any weight off Everett’s shoulders.

Last edited:
Someone mentioned this in the Globe comments section, but the green space at the corner of Huntington and Ruggles feels like an afterthought and unnecessary given this is 1 block from the Fens.

A full build out of the block feels like a better option here; perhaps even create a cultural space/ attraction folded in like Amazon 2 in the Seaport... anything but a hardscaped "park" at this corner.

I always thought of it as Wentworth's front lawn. It's actually kind of cool in a way that a piece of green lasted since 1899. It should be interesting to see what they dig up. From early maps it looks like a ropeworks factory so hopefully nothing too toxic in the soil. And I assume if they dig further they will find early native american fish weirs or something to that effect around the stony brook bed.

The lab typology certainly encourages clunky, overly bulky massing. Boston needs to learn from Vancouver, and develop better bulk requirements for towers.

LOL’ing at the rendering, not the story*. Why did someone go out of their way to deliberately butcher the 3D renderings of existing buildings in the photo? EXP, West Village, and ISEC—basically every NU building is deliberately cheapened in this rendering to make Wentworth’s addition to stand out. Was that really necessary?
Things aren't even cheapened in places - they're just deliberately wrong. Certain buildings that are no more than 4 stories tall look like they go up at least 12 stories.

EDIT: Also lol, they turned East Village into a giant concrete slab for some reason.

I thought the 4 story building with the tower on it is a proposal in the pipeline? Thats what immediately came to mind when I saw it but I could be confusing that for something else. I know somewhere around here theres another proposed tower.

I thought the 4 story building with the tower on it is a proposal in the pipeline? Thats what immediately came to mind when I saw it but I could be confusing that for something else. I know somewhere around here theres another proposed tower.

Wasn't referring more so to a lot of the buildings along Columbus Ave adjacent to the Lightview building.

As a Wentworth alum, like, yeah, I feel that's fine, fair game. In all seriousness though, not a big fan of this. Let's bring back the design that just plopped Sweeney Field on the roof of it.

Back