Wentworth Mixed-Use Life Sciences Complex | 500 Huntington Ave | Fenway

Why are we arguing over what a college wants to do with its own land on it's own campus? Especially Wentworth that has kept it's undergrad tuition to $19k a year, and graduate tuition to $20k and has already built multiple new dorm buildings for student housing in the past few years. I mean this was never going to be housing (affordable or otherwise) as WIT isn't in the business of building general housing, they have a mission of providing a quality and affordable education in the city.

Count me as a nitpicker, but it's 19k/semester, 38k/year. Still more affordable than Northeastern or BU... at about 2/3 the price.

Count me as a nitpicker, but it's 19k/semester, 38k/year. Still more affordable than Northeastern or BU... at about 2/3 the price.

Haha, I should have caught that - my brain is not working well today. $19k/semester makes more sense, especially since it was pushing into $30k by the time I finally got a degree. But, yes, 2/3 the price of NEU or even BU.

Why are we arguing over what a college wants to do with its own land on it's own campus? Especially Wentworth that has kept it's undergrad tuition to $19k a year, and graduate tuition to $20k and has already built multiple new dorm buildings for student housing in the past few years. I mean this was never going to be housing (affordable or otherwise) as WIT isn't in the business of building general housing, they have a mission of providing a quality and affordable education in the city.
Tuition works out to $19k a semester, but still a much easier bill to stomach than the other engineering schools in the area. WIT is doing good things recently, hope to see more expansion

Most of the Wentworth people I meet in biotech are first gen college students...they do a lot of good work there.
I was very close to attending WIT, ended up down south and can't wait to get back to NE. Have a few friends at WIT, they love it so far.

Haha, I should have caught that - my brain is not working well today. $19k/semester makes more sense, especially since it was pushing into $30k by the time I finally got a degree. But, yes, 2/3 the price of NEU or even BU.
You cannot look at the sticker price. Most students at WIT, Northeastern and BU receive grants and/or scholarships to reduce the cost.

You cannot look at the sticker price. Most students at WIT, Northeastern and BU receive grants and/or scholarships to reduce the cost.
And while I can't speak for the other two, BU, in particular, is fond of making large grants to BPS graduates. My son has a full tuition scholarship from BU that required, among other elements, a diploma from a BPS high school.

And while I can't speak for the other two, BU, in particular, is fond of making large grants to BPS graduates. My son has a full tuition scholarship from BU that required, among other elements, a diploma from a BPS high school.
That is part of their PILOT program. Northeastern does the same for BPS graduates.

So, to clarify, is Wentworth still owning or using any of this property? If not, feels very disappointing on Wentworth's end to lose vital campus space.

Last edited:
As a WIT grad (Class '11), I can attest that WIT is doing lots of good things. As a native New Englander living in the south, watching WIT's progress from afar is really encouraging. I really hope they are maintaining all the land ownership because that land is sooooo freaking valuable as we know.
There was also a great article where WIT ranks quite highly regionally and even nationally.

As a WIT grad (Class '11), I can attest that WIT is doing lots of good things. As a native New Englander living in the south, watching WIT's progress from afar is really encouraging. I really hope they are maintaining all the land ownership because that land is sooooo freaking valuable as we know.
There was also a great article where WIT ranks quite highly regionally and even nationally.

Yeah, it shocks me a bit. Riding the accreditation coattails of the architecture program, I remember my Uncle from Southie being so happy that I was going to his alma mater (that he did a part-time automotive program back in the day). Now in my industry for, well, a bit, I've had people go on about the quality of WIT grads even verse other schools which is mind-blowing to me having paid about $5k a year w/ a little merit scholarship back in the day. More than happy to be on the rising tide though :)

Not sure if this is related to the actual proposal moving forward but seems better than the renderings from the Globe...
www.sga-arch.com/projects/500-huntington-avenue/

So it's potentially morphing from this:
1694799986875.png

To this:

1694800004116.jpeg

The rest of the renders...

1694800035333.jpeg

1694800041085.jpeg

1694800048203.jpeg

Back