Wentworth Institute of Technology Expansion | Fenway

It's been building over the years. The biggest breaks are at the CSC/the shitty little motel and at the MFA/Sweeney Field.

Honestly it's a pretty solid stretch of road. I've walked it many times and it's always been fine by me.

So...525 is where someone just spent lots of money to do:

img7147gi4.jpg

Why?

Doesn't look like they spent too much $. Also keep in mind this was a gas station so it is going to take some time and money to clean up the site. It is possible that's what the park was put there for, by which I mean they cleaned up the site and built the park to use it for something until they knew they had the money to build a dorm. They would want a park for PR purposes since they are trying to attract new students.

I also remember the school wanted to demolish the dorms that are in that picture next to the firehouse. It's possible that the new dorms will replace these (which are in pretty bad shape.)

A short 18-months after announcing plans, master plan passes.

This story says the playing fields across from the MFA will be relocated - so will more buildings be coming to Huntington?

Also, I've long wondered why WIT didn't expand quickly during the past two decades. My data shows it had an enrollment of 4,000 students in 1998 and ... 3,880 students in 2009.

Building a reputation
Wentworth reveals 10-year plan to expand campus, raise profile
By Casey Ross
Boston Globe

The Wentworth Institute of Technology is plotting a decade-long expansion of its campus along Huntington Avenue in Boston that will result in construction of hundreds of dorm rooms, a student recreation facility, and several new engineering and science laboratories.

The expansion plan was ironed out during years of community discussions and reflects Wentworth?s gradual evolution from a commuter school. The larger campus should also help raise Wentworth?s profile in a part of the city dominated by Northeastern University and the Longwood Medical Area.

Wentworth said it expects to start construction on two projects in the spring: renovation and expansion of an academic building on Parker Street and the addition of a new student facility at Beatty Hall in the center of campus. Over the longer term, the institute intends to add a seven-story dorm on Huntington Avenue and a new engineering building, and relocate its athletic fields to Parker Street from the current site across from the Museum of Fine Arts.

?It comes down to making a better Wentworth and providing the amenities our students want to have on campus,?? said David Wahlstrom, head of planning and construction at the college, which has a full-time undergraduate enrollment of about 3,400 students.

Wentworth?s academic program focuses on science and technology disciplines, providing majors in civil engineering, architecture, and interior design, for example. It also offers evening classes in construction management, welding, facilities management, and other areas.

Overall, enrollment has increased by about 200 students over the last five years, and Wentworth officials expect it to continue growing gradually during the next decade. In recent years, Wentworth has focused on housing more of its students and providing a more traditional college setting, with on-campus activities. It constructed a pair of dormitories on Huntington Avenue that added about 800 beds, with the most recent building completed in 2005. The college also acquired two gas stations in the area and converted those sites into parks.

Wentworth?s expansion plan was scheduled to be voted on last night by the Boston Redevelopment Authority. City officials have offered preliminary support for Wentworth?s proposal.

?This will mean construction jobs, improvements to the campus, and the development of an important institution in the city,?? said BRA director John Palmieri. ?That they?re kicking off two new projects next year is terrific news.??

During the last several years, the city?s colleges have been a center of growth while few other organizations or businesses have been willing to spend on new buildings. Berklee College of Music and Suffolk University recently announced downtown expansion plans; the University of Massachusetts has been exploring the construction of new dormitories in Dorchester; and Harvard has continued to build new facilities in Allston.

Wentworth will largely focus on land it already owns. Currently the campus is spread across about 40 acres off Huntington Avenue, where it occupies some 35 buildings. Next year's projects will update a pair of older masonry buildings with sleek glass additions. The architecture firm Perkins + Will designed an expansion that will double the size of the Ira Allen academic building, to 36,000 square feet, and Spagnolo Gisness & Associates crafted a 7,000 square-foot addition on Beatty Hall, a now gray boxy structure that will fitted with an expansive glass-walled student center. The projects together will cost about $22 million.

In addition to the academic and residential buildings, Wentworth will add walking paths, upgrade plazas and green space, and build a new bicycle storage cage and other facilities to improve transportation connections with surrounding neighborhoods.

?We?re going to be opening up the campus and doing more landscaping,?? said Wahlstrom, the head of planning and construction. ?We want to strengthen the walkways coming into the central campus and make it more appealing for neighbors and students.??

http://www.boston.com/business/arti..._reveals_plan_to_expand_campus_raise_profile/

This has been quite exciting news on campus. We have such an outdated and non-handicap accessible campus that makes it really sad to show to prospective students and their parents. Beatty is probably the largest problem on campus now that Wentworth Hall had the elevator put in years ago.

The handicap ramp for Beatty is in the loading dock entrance with a very steep non-ADA slope. It desperately needs an accessible entrance from the quad. You know your building is bad when one of the sophomore studio projects is to design an addition to the front of Beatty with a new elevator and circulation paths. As it stands now, Beatty's vertical circulation occurs entirely via fire stairs. There are no connections between floors at all, besides the grand library double-height space with the mezzanine stair, but no connection from lobby to library. This building is now their main priority.

I can also appreciate their desire to strengthen outdoor circulation, anchored by this grand glass-box student center at the center of it. Wentworth has a VERY strong circulation (and organizational) datum line that stretches from the design studios on Parker to the Res campus on Huntington. We were worried what was going to happen after the 60-year master plan got thrown in the trash. This focused effort will bring enough substance for Wentworth to grow in the "immediate" future (Beatty is supposed to start next year sometime, last they told us)

Hmmm I wonder where will the lacrosse/soccer team of NU will relocate to now. Maybe they will finally build a stadium. Yeah that won't happen.

Hmmm I wonder where will the lacrosse/soccer team of NU will relocate to now. Maybe they will finally build a stadium. Yeah that won't happen.
I actually like Sweeney Field's location and landscaping. It doesn't really belong there, but it's nice as a prominent feature of Huntington and provides entertainment when passing by. On my frantic runs to UHop (better pizza than Il Mondo), I frequently find myself stopping to watch some soccer.

I'd prefer the Parker St. lot to be developed like they had proposed for the 60-year plan. Having campus buildings there would be more convenient (Annex studios are next door, Beatty and Tansey are right there across Parker, etc), but it's a heck of a lot more dangerous. It would just be a pain if we had to treck all the way to the other side of Wentworth Hall and across Ruggles from the quad/campus center. What I liked the most about Wentworth and why I eventually chose it was the tight knit campus and proximity of buildings. Time is money, especially around final crit time.

Overall, enrollment has increased by about 200 students over the last five years

200 students? That seems laughable, maybe a type?

I hadn't been following this as closely as when I went to WIT. So what is happening with the old firehouse?

Edit: UHop!!

200 students? That seems laughable, maybe a type?
No. It's right. Our departments are very small and focused. They are growing inch by inch every year. Consider the size and restrictions of our campus. Adding 200 students is a big undertaking. Architecture is the largest, accounting for 1/3 of the WIT day-students.

...and we're suffering from it too. Anyone who has had a class in WENTW-312 can attest to that. 28 desks in a room that is essentially a large closet.

UPDATE!

Official letter from the President:

Dear Wentworth Community,

As many of you are aware, the Institute?s master planning process, which began in January 2008, identified a need for the development of new facilities and the renovation of existing buildings. The primary needs include the expansion and modernization of instructional facilities to keep the Institute?s academic programs at the forefront of technology, and the addition of dormitory, recreational, athletic, and campus life facilities to enhance the campus experience and to motivate additional members of the student body to reside on campus rather than in surrounding neighborhoods.

The City of Boston requires each institution to provide a comprehensive report, an Institutional Master Plan (IMP), which describes the proposed projects and related impacts as part of a ten-year development plan. The following five projects were proposed as part of Wentworth?s IMP:

* The Flanagan Campus Center at Beatty Hall
* 18,000-square-foot academic addition to and renovation of the Ira Allen Building
* New seven-story student residence at 525 Huntington Avenue to house 305 students
* 45,000-square-foot Center for Engineering & Technology (in place of Willson Hall)
* New soccer field on a single-level deck above 330 surface parking spaces

Yesterday, the IMP approval process achieved a significant milestone as the Boston Redevelopment Authority unanimously approved Wentworth?s IMP.

Of the five projects identified in Wentworth?s IMP, the construction of a campus center (The Flanagan Campus Center) and an academic addition to and renovation of the Ira Allen Building are slated for groundbreaking in the late spring.

As currently envisioned, The Flanagan Campus Center at Beatty Hall will include the construction of a 7,000-square-foot, two-story addition and the renovation of approximately 23,000 square feet of existing space. The central goal of this project is to increase the quality and quantity of space available for student activities and events within this facility, and allow for a substantial increase in the number of supervised student activities and social events which can be held on campus each semester. These new programs will strengthen the attractiveness of Wentworth?s student residences and will serve to keep more students on campus during nights and weekends.

The second project, a 18,000-square-foot, three-story addition to the rear of the Ira Allen Building will provide new state-of-the-art chemistry, physics, biomedical engineering, biology, and material science laboratories, classroom space, and offices for Wentworth?s math and science curriculum. The development of this new facility will allow academic departments to significantly improve the instructional technology and lab equipment utilized in the learning environment.

It?s exciting to note that both of these projects will serve as a learning lab for Wentworth students, as co-op opportunities will be available on each of the projects.

Finally, I thought you might be interested in a story published in today?s Boston Globe, highlighting Wentworth?s development plans.

Sincerely,

Zorica Pantić, Ph.D.

President

Last edited:
I actually like Sweeney Field's location and landscaping. It doesn't really belong there, but it's nice as a prominent feature of Huntington and provides entertainment when passing by. On my frantic runs to UHop (better pizza than Il Mondo), I frequently find myself stopping to watch some soccer.

I'd prefer the Parker St. lot to be developed like they had proposed for the 60-year plan. Having campus buildings there would be more convenient (Annex studios are next door, Beatty and Tansey are right there across Parker, etc), but it's a heck of a lot more dangerous. It would just be a pain if we had to treck all the way to the other side of Wentworth Hall and across Ruggles from the quad/campus center. What I liked the most about Wentworth and why I eventually chose it was the tight knit campus and proximity of buildings. Time is money, especially around final crit time.

I agree too but doesn't the Wentworth athletics squads also play there? Maybe this will force NU to spruce up Carter's Playground. Doubt it will be any better than Parson's field though. But I won't be surprise if both squads end up using that facility.

I agree too but doesn't the Wentworth athletics squads also play there? Maybe this will force NU to spruce up Carter's Playground. Doubt it will be any better than Parson's field though. But I won't be surprise if both squads end up using that facility.
Yeah, of course. We own it, lol. NEU has hated us for years because of that fact.

I just posted an update from the President about the official plans. It notes a field ON TOP of the Parker St. parking lot.

Does Northeastern own Carter playground? I thought the city owned it.

The city owns Carter Field, it would be a third rail for NU to even think of touching it when many abutting university owned parking lots and garages lay fallow.

The city owns Carter Field, it would be a third rail for NU to even think of touching it when many abutting university owned parking lots and garages lay fallow.

True. In that case maybe NEU can developed the Ruggles Parking Lot and build an underground garage to replace the lost space.

Lipstick on a pig. They really need to just raze the thing.

They're pretty much gutting level G and 1. Beatty is great in terms of its structure, but that's it. I think it's actually a nice working of the interior space because those massive columns have to stay there.

Can't raze an academic building when there is insufficient space elsewhere on campus to temporarily relocate functions during demolition and reconstruction.

Back