West Cambridge / Alewife Area Infill & Small Developments

Alewife needs bus lanes.

Again, not sure how you fix Rte 2 Eastbound's merge into Alewife Brook Pkwy inbound without adding a lane on the overpass somehow; just past the station exit. The worst part of the bottleneck is due to those folks turning onto Alewife Brook Pkwy outbound blocking those going inbound.

There's actually been some major construction going on for the last few months, resulting in a new massive 5 story condo building just across from Summer Shack (which appears to be a few more months from completion, but the cladding is up). I'll try to take/post some photos this weekend.

In related unofficial news, Summer Shack's lease (and the lease of the other occupant of the property) ends in the next 2-3 years. At that point, the expectation is 99% that the entire property will become high-end condos (with a hope that they maintain retail on the bottom floors).

There's actually been some major construction going on for the last few months, resulting in a new massive 5 story condo building just across from Summer Shack (which appears to be a few more months from completion, but the cladding is up). I'll try to take/post some photos this weekend.

In related unofficial news, Summer Shack's lease (and the lease of the other occupant of the property) ends in the next 2-3 years. At that point, the expectation is 99% that the entire property will become high-end condos (with a hope that they maintain retail on the bottom floors).

They better maintain Summer Shack somewhere 🤤

it'll just be another Frankenstein's monster-looking POS building.

What exactly is it with architects obsession with that, anyway? It feels like it would look more natural if they stuck to one styling.

It being an OK height sort of makes up for it.

Goddamn.. how can something so utterly boring also be so offensively ugly at the same time? If it ends up like everything else in that area, it'll just be another Frankenstein's monster-looking POS building.

I agree. I grew up 4 blocks from there and know the area very well. Cambridge has absolutely blown the development of the West Cambridge area.

There was a highly-opposed destruction of a silver maple forest to make way for 375 Acorn. Travesty.

Nothing Royal about this one. It's looks very cheap to me. I've seen better affordable housing being built around town.

That's pretty much par for the course these days. Certainly could have been taller at least.

Proof that density does not equal urban.

But other than that who else was suburban Virginia?

Back