West Cambridge / Alewife Area Infill & Small Developments

Lots of TOD. Some additional bike lanes. Call me crazy but I’m seeing everything but roadway improvements to Alewife Brook/Fresh Pond Parkway(s). Did the T repair the columns inside the Alewife Garage? Are we going to have a multi million dollar renovation of Alewife Station? Or are we just going to let it rot away further and further until it’s barely functional?

Lots of TOD. Some additional bike lanes. Call me crazy but I’m seeing everything but roadway improvements to Alewife Brook/Fresh Pond Parkway(s). Did the T repair the columns inside the Alewife Garage? Are we going to have a multi million dollar renovation of Alewife Station? Or are we just going to let it rot away further and further until it’s barely functional?
There will never be any large scale roadway improvements in the area. Cambridge is ferociously anti-road expansion of any type, anywhere in the city, and Arlington is very touchy as well about any lane expansion/additional roadways in the Alewife area. In the 1980s, MassDOT was proposing some overpasses, etc. at the Rte 2/16 intersection and at the Rindge Ave intersection, but that went nowhere. I wish that an outbound bus roadway connecting the Alewife RL Station with westbound Rte 2 could be built, but that absolutely will never happen. Nope, we are stuck with what is there.

IMG_3407.jpeg

The former Jose’s is decidedly different. I can’t help looking in the windows and thinking about the well worn tables and that enormous menu.

Yes. Single family with a garage in Cambridge is criminal.
It's also expensive. $2.3 million for a house in North Cambridge? When I was a kid in North Cambridge in the early 1960s, a decent single family house with a yard was going for $10,000.

That whole area was slated to be obliterated for highways. Now it’s home to some of the most selfish Cantabridgians.

It’s the new hotness: flat cementitious panels in monochromatic shades.

Back