Westwood Station Developments

In the words of Gertrude Stein: There is no there there. It reads like a sterile office park.

That's what it is. Or was. Hard to tell exactly how much it's going to change. It's TOD in name only, really. There is no neighborhood close by to grab a drink, just strip malls. A dense suburb. But then that's what some people really like, if it works, a walkable neighborhood that is quiet and far away from the city noise.

Just drove by this morning and they are starting to install tenant signage.

- Target outdoor sign and those white lights they use in the entrance area
- PetSmart outdoor sign is up
- Dressbarn outdoor sign is up
- Sports Authority outdoor sign is up

Some other updates are that Not Your Average Joes (NYAJ)is the 2/3rd "sit down" restaurant, depending if you consider Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza (also confirmed) a "sit-down" restaurant or not. There is supposed to be a 3rd "sit-down" restaurant, located next to NYAJ but apparently that un-named restaurant has pulled out. The developers have also "sold" or about to sell the hotel parcel to a hotel-developer and they hope to announce something soon. There is some speculation that the "village area" where NYAJ and restaurant #3 were supposed to go, the hotel and green space may not turn out to be what was origicnally intended due to some difficulty of landing tenants...more to come, anyone else have updates/insights?

Just drove by this morning and they are starting to install tenant signage....

Wow. Talk about a change of concept. Remember when this was going to be a high-end lifestyle center? Now it seems they're going after a suburban version of South Bay.

Just drove by this morning and they are starting to install tenant signage.

- Target outdoor sign and those white lights they use in the entrance area
- PetSmart outdoor sign is up
- Dressbarn outdoor sign is up
- Sports Authority outdoor sign is up

Some other updates are that Not Your Average Joes (NYAJ)is the 2/3rd "sit down" restaurant, depending if you consider Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza (also confirmed) a "sit-down" restaurant or not. There is supposed to be a 3rd "sit-down" restaurant, located next to NYAJ but apparently that un-named restaurant has pulled out. The developers have also "sold" or about to sell the hotel parcel to a hotel-developer and they hope to announce something soon. There is some speculation that the "village area" where NYAJ and restaurant #3 were supposed to go, the hotel and green space may not turn out to be what was origicnally intended due to some difficulty of landing tenants...more to come, anyone else have updates/insights?

The hotel developer is looking to build a 130-key Marriott Courtyard.

Wow. Talk about a change of concept. Remember when this was going to be a high-end lifestyle center? Now it seems they're going after a suburban version of South Bay.

Massive disappointment, what a waste. I place substantial blame on the town of Canton though.

I am hearing the 2 build-to-suit office buildings as part of the project are starting to draw interest from several parties. Anyone have any ideas? Back-office finance? Pharma R&D?

Also, there was a sit-down restaurant chain that was originally slated to be built next to the Not Your Average Joes restaurant, but the developer won't say who that restaurant was or who they're looking at now to replace said tenant. Any ideas?

I am hearing the 2 build-to-suit office buildings as part of the project are starting to draw interest from several parties. Anyone have any ideas? Back-office finance? Pharma R&D?

Also, there was a sit-down restaurant chain that was originally slated to be built next to the Not Your Average Joes restaurant, but the developer won't say who that restaurant was or who they're looking at now to replace said tenant. Any ideas?

Bonefish Grill maybe?

So I came across a marketing brochure for the office portion of the project, see link below. Page 4 shows the master plan, and page 6 shows an area that was originally called the "village" with lots of green space, a hotel and more retail. You will notice that the "zoom in" on page 6 is significantly different than what the master plan shows on page 4.

http://officesatuniversitystation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/University_Station_Book_EMAIL.pdf

It really looks like the entire design of this area has changed, with the hotel going in between the two offices buildings and several more restaurants including one that looks like a drive-thru (a la Burger King or something). The original plan showed two curved buildings with more retail and the hotel near the train station - is this a sign that the developers are having trouble signing retail tenants?

I've gone to the mall several times and I don't think they really thought this one through - lot's of congestion and bottle necks in several stores (Noodles and Smashburger) as well as the parking lot - they probably should've modeled this after Legacy Place? Any anyone with any updates would be much appreciated. Thanks!

they probably should've modeled this after Legacy Place?

I am sure that it wasn't for a lack of trying. Legacy Place gets the traffic it gets primarily due to the Whole Foods, movie theater, Kings and the Yard House (I wouldn't be surprised if 50% or more of Legacy Place customers visited one of those places). Westwood has no Whole Foods (Wegman's will certainly help whenever it finally opens), no movie theater, no entertainment venue and no restaurants worth visiting. Other than that, it is perfect! /sarcasm.

So I came across a marketing brochure for the office portion of the project, see link below. Page 4 shows the master plan, and page 6 shows an area that was originally called the "village" with lots of green space, a hotel and more retail. You will notice that the "zoom in" on page 6 is significantly different than what the master plan shows on page 4.

http://officesatuniversitystation.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/University_Station_Book_EMAIL.pdf

It really looks like the entire design of this area has changed, with the hotel going in between the two offices buildings and several more restaurants including one that looks like a drive-thru (a la Burger King or something). The original plan showed two curved buildings with more retail and the hotel near the train station - is this a sign that the developers are having trouble signing retail tenants?

I've gone to the mall several times and I don't think they really thought this one through - lot's of congestion and bottle necks in several stores (Noodles and Smashburger) as well as the parking lot - they probably should've modeled this after Legacy Place? Any anyone with any updates would be much appreciated. Thanks!

That is the most depressing development promo I've ever seen. It's like a satire...

They are going full-stem ahead on the non-retail/strip mall side, where the green space and/or office complex is planned to be. I know they've started construction on the Not Your Average Joe's restaurant. I found some pictures of what this location is supposed to look like; I think it's pretty decent for a chain?

http://www.cornerstonedesignbuild.com/projects/not-your-average-joes/

anyone else have any updates on this project; for such a "high-profile" development, it seems very quiet other than the incoming Wegmans.

They are going full-stem ahead on the non-retail/strip mall side, where the green space and/or office complex is planned to be. I know they've started construction on the Not Your Average Joe's restaurant. I found some pictures of what this location is supposed to look like; I think it's pretty decent for a chain?

http://www.cornerstonedesignbuild.com/projects/not-your-average-joes/

anyone else have any updates on this project; for such a "high-profile" development, it seems very quiet other than the incoming Wegmans.

Eh, not about the project itself. But the new exit ramp from 128S already has a fresh coat of asphalt on it as of yesterday's drive-by. They've got the jersey barriers positioned for quick removal, which means it must be in final couple weeks of touch-up, striping, and signalization work before formally opening and shifting traffic off the old too-sharp exit ramp.

Would be nice if the @#$% Route 109 overpass weren't dragging like it's still gonna take till Fall to open Lane #4.

Eh, not about the project itself. But the new exit ramp from 128S already has a fresh coat of asphalt on it as of yesterday's drive-by. They've got the jersey barriers positioned for quick removal, which means it must be in final couple weeks of touch-up, striping, and signalization work before formally opening and shifting traffic off the old too-sharp exit ramp.

Would be nice if the @#$% Route 109 overpass weren't dragging like it's still gonna take till Fall to open Lane #4.

The new exit is the first phase of the Canton interchange project. Next up is the Dedham Street overpass rebuild.

The entire stretch from 109 to Great Plain Ave has been crawling for the last 10 months.

For those who are interested in updates on this project:

The new ramp still isn't open yet - drove by this AM and there were literally no workers on site. I heard some rumblings that the project will be getting some federal funds to proceed with phase 2 or something or other?

I can also say that the developer has in fact proposed changing the "village" area directly next to the train station (which was originally supposed to be sort of like Copley Square with a long green space surrounded by housing, offices, and a hotel) into a classic office and hotel complex like layout. They've also added a drive-though restaurant and another stand alone restaurant to this area, when it was supposed to be retail in earlier conceptual plans. I believe that the hotel will be announced very shortly, someone earlier had said that it was looking like a Marriott - something like a Residence Inn or whatever?

Very interesting to see how this project has changed over time.

I can also say that the developer has in fact proposed changing the "village" area directly next to the train station (which was originally supposed to be sort of like Copley Square with a long green space surrounded by housing, offices, and a hotel) into a classic office and hotel complex like layout.
Very interesting to see how this project has changed over time.

Indeed - I was down there a couple weeks ago, regrettably with no photos to bring back. It's unambiguously a strip mall. Not even dressed up and geometric, like Legacy Place. More like the Middlesex Mall with nicer light fixtures, and with a few big boxes strewn around the parking lot.

It's really amazing, on a larger scale, how density and walkability disappear entirely once you get south of the Upper Charles / Neponset line. Middlesex & Essex counties are full of local walkability - Norfolk Co. & the Old Colony, however, might as well be North Carolina (in terms of sprawl and autotopia landscapes..).

Looks like that's not going to change on account of Westwood Station, at least....

Good God the amount of surface parking is ridiculous. Who the heck would want to walk through that development? They could learn a lesson or two from Assembly Row.

I'm out there every once in a while and it is truly a suburban strip mall. No connection with the CR station. No bike lanes whatsoever. A sea of parking. It is pretty gross. It's also sad, as this started out trying to be a transit-oriented development. No longer.

Hopefully someday they build out the parking lots, create a shuttle system, slim down on a road diet, and add a cycle track. Plenty of space in the ROW. Or maybe, as the suburbs die and everyone moves to the city, this area will fall into decay, or become "Downtown Westwood", with tall skyscrapers and a transit system and everything. :rolleyes:

Back