What I hate about Boston

^^Agreed. And on a related note, I hate Boston.com... It's amazing what is the primary headline at any given moment. Sensationalist, and like the Globe itself, lacking in quality.

Agreed again. The only thing I use the paper for is local news. And even at that, I'm not using the paper, just the website, where I go straight to what I want and skip over that lame-brained front page.

Every major city in the U.S. seems to have some large minority or ethnic population that is relatively unique to that particular area

Not really, nearly all unique immigrant population's are located on the coast's and very rarely will you find a population in the middle of the country that is unique to the country as a whole.

(and Brazilians and Carribean populations for that matter) do not self identify themselves as black or even hispanic.

Brazilians are not hispanic, because they speak portuguese. Also many immigrants from latin america are mixed white, black, ameridian and some are of asian ancestry.

Further, although we have a significant amount of foreign born blacks, including but not limited to Hatians, there are larger communities in NYC and Miami

true but Boston has many more african immigrants.

nearly all unique immigrant population's are located on the coast's and very rarely will you find a population in the middle of the country that is unique to the country as a whole.

A few examples come to my mind immediately and I am sure there are many more quirky immigration settlement patterns. The following cities are thought to have the largest immigrant communities in the USA:

Minneapolis - Hmong and Somolian (on a % basis - I have heard Lewiston, ME has the highest share of Somolian immigrants in the U.S.)
Chicago - Bosnian
Detroit - Arab
Nashville - Kurd
Omaha - Sudanese

Granted these immigrants may be found elsewhere, but many cities, including those away from the coasts, have unique immigration patterns. Relatively speaking, I just don't think it is that novel that Boston has a relatively large, if not the largest, Cape Verdian immigration community in the country.

Brazilians are not hispanic, because they speak portuguese. Also many immigrants from latin america are mixed white, black, ameridian and some are of asian ancestry.

This is my point, many immigrants from Latin America don't self identify themselves in the racial/ethnic catagories that have been widely adopted within the USA.

commuter guy,

Boston has the majority of Cape Verdians in the America and the largest outside of Cape Verde.

^ interesting factoid. From what I've heard the cape verde gangs in Dorchester and Roxbury are brutually violent.

^ interesting factoid. From what I've heard the cape verde gangs in Dorchester and Roxbury are brutually violent.

Isn't it interesting how we consistently identify groups by their worst tendencies and behaviors?

Why have a conversation, for instance, about why my great grandparents came to East Cambridge from Avellino when we have thoughtful posts like this one to keep us going.

Thanks for posting in the right forum this time...

come on lighten up. my best friend was Italian and we gave him crap about it everyday. I've dated girls that are italian and speak it. its called a joke.... as the great rosie colvin once said... "calm down"

Oh I forgot to say, I hate Scott Van Hooris

...and Steve Bailey.

Look, Boston.com is atrocious, but don't underrate the Globe. It comes up in national discussions far more than you'd expect for a regional paper. I hear about it nearly as much as the LA Times, and certainly more than the Chicago Tribune. I think only three newspapers (the WSJ/Washington Post/NY Times) can clearly be said to stand head and shoulders above it.

For how long will that continue to be true, as the Globe lays off more and more editorial staff?

Luckily Ron every major paper is going down this same path. The Globe is never going to be the source of international news it was when it had the overseas bureaus in Berlin, Jerusalem, etc. but as far as local, regional and even some national political news, it can't be beat. I've never done the math but I'm guessing on a per-capita basis, the Globe has among the highest circulation rates of any major city's paper. For the sake of proof and out of sheer boredom on my travel day(London for the rest of the week, yay!) I'm going to pull up wikipedia and do a little math. I'll do the top twenty-two exclusive of WSJ and USA Today.

An ebbing tide lowers all boats! (With apologies to Rev. Jackson.)

Hey, I like Steve Bailey. A lot. If he goes away, I'll find the business pages a lot less interesting.

Why do people insist on standing like a bunch of scarecrows on escalators? I see this on the T, in department stores, and at Logan. In every other city I've visited, people stand to the right and leave the left open for people to pass.

Move with a purpose, or stand aside. Please.

its funny I noticed the complete opposite today... getting off downtown crossing hawley st exit, its just a long escalator, and everybody who didnt want to walk were all over on the right. usually you have to weave in and out in other places.

but what I hate about Boston... no $1 menus at McD's, Wendy's Burger King. they're all like a 1.59. not cool.

I've always noticed that people stay to the right on escalators in Boston. Even the people who break the mold and stand in the middle or on the left tend to move to the right when someone comes up behind them. It's sort of like driving where many people will sit in the left lanes of the higway (except for some reason on the SE expressway) until someone comes up behind them and then they move (again, usually).

What I like about Boston: most neighborhoods are not infested with McD's and Burger King.

Back