What I hate about Boston

Funny building, that one. I always thought the size was right for the spot, and that it was kind of a contemporary version of Boston Granite/Gridley Bryant, only rendered in concrete. Gentle Brutalism, if you will.

^Exactly -- austere but right-sized. New windows (high-performance plate glass) and a "refreshing" would do wonders. Walked by there on Thursday. The coolest detail about this building is that the columns are octagonal. It fits together like an Ikea shelving unit.

Sorry, but I agree with the others. I like that Fidelity Investor Center building. I dislike the automatic doors which open anytime you round the corner, but it's a decent building for that parcel.

Beton Brut said:
It fits together like an Ikea shelving unit.

Always a feature I look for in buildings in prominent locations.

The Fidelity building would be a fine background building tucked along some side street or even at some lesser corner, but the corner of Franklin & Congress call for some a little less, uh, Ikea-esque.
Not that the other three corners are great shakes but that's no excuse.

I once heard that that is actually Fidelity's headquarters. That can't be true, can it?

Oh, this building did get a 'refresh' a few years ago, hence the slabs of brown plastic on the facade and the funky glass etching on the windows.

that building sucks ass. I hate that building. somebody should burn that fucker down.

Just shit on everything and your cool. Thats some people's motto around here. It makes you look smart you should probably do it more often.

Face it - Boston's brutalism collection is as good as its group of South End/Back Bay Victorian rowhouses. We should quit fighting that aesthetic legacy, embrace it as an integral part of Boston's heritage, and market it. Brutally.

Last edited:
I once heard that that is actually Fidelity's headquarters. That can't be true, can it?

No, Fidelity's HQ is in the very non-descript 82 Devonshire/35 Congress collection of interconnected buildings.

Stuff like this drives me nuts: "The report also said that the state could add an optional toll lane on I-93 that would let solo drivers use the carpool lane if they pay a fee."

http://www.boston.com/news/traffic/bigdig/articles/2008/03/19/turnpike_managers_scramble_for_plan_b/

NOOOOOO -- we should encourage carpooling and we should raise more revenue by charging everyone EXCEPT those who can use the HOV lane. Make the HOV lane free and charge to toll to the 95% of I-93 users who refuse to rideshare.

Stuff like this drives me nuts: "The report also said that the state could add an optional toll lane on I-93 that would let solo drivers use the carpool lane if they pay a fee."

http://www.boston.com/news/traffic/bigdig/articles/2008/03/19/turnpike_managers_scramble_for_plan_b/

NOOOOOO -- we should encourage carpooling and we should raise more revenue by charging everyone EXCEPT those who can use the HOV lane. Make the HOV lane free and charge to toll to the 95% of I-93 users who refuse to rideshare.

They do that in LA. It costs about $2-$8 depending on the location to commute in by yourself in the carpool lane.

What's the matter? you don't want our highway system to model itself after Metropolitan Los Angeles?

Motorcycle Staties riding down the paths on the Greenway. I just saw this today. Does it happen a lot? It seemed he had no apparent reason to be doing it; Surface Rd. wasn't particularly congested, and there weren't hordes of teenagers plotting evil.

I don't see how motorcycles roaring down pedestrian thoroughfares really helps attract more pedestrians.... even if it's a cop on the bike (for some pedestrians, that's even more of a deterrant).

I hate Joe Constigs REPEATEDLY saying "can you believe it?" that drives me absolutely nuts and its getting worse everytime he says it. Come up with another line! It wasn't that good the first time around!

What do I hate about Boston

Everything is away from the city like I-95 and the pats stadium. It sucks that didn't built a stadium in Boston. The Boylston Square
was never built. If that tower was built it would have make the skyline of the Back Bay and Boston even better than now. There is not allot of huge venues and concert halls in the city. Street grid planning is not good like other cities like Philadelphia, Los Angeles, New York, and Washington D.C. Boston city boundaries should expand from west as Waltham, north as Lynn, and south as Quincy and all these cities would have been boroughs and Boston would become a populated city a long time ago. But its too late. We need more people to move to Boston. Cut down the prices of houses in the Boston area. Stop foreclosures and built stadium with transportation center next to it so everyone would be happy for the sake of Boston.

A football stadium is used 8 times a year, maybe 10 if you're lucky and make the playoffs.

Compare to Fenway Park (81 regular-season games, plus a few playoff games) or the New Garden (41 Celtics games, 41 Bruins games, some playoffs for each, plus the Beanpot, the circus, and various concerts).

the view looking towards government center from the North End parks:

IMG_0117.jpg

No 24 hour T..... I'm living proof of the problems with the T not running long enough. Right now its friday night and I'm sitting in, why? Because I got a DUI on St Paddies day that I am now paying for it dearly. Did I deserve it? most likely. Might it not have happened if the T ran 24 hours or after 230 am? most likely. To me, before and after this incident, 24 public transportation is a MUST. public safety is at risk... although I swear I was no danger to myself or anyone else.

Buildings like this that have no relationship to the street and are just plain hideous...

^ Can one of our old timers please explain how the fuck something like that happened?

Back