What I hate about Boston

No; where there would be both of those, there are 2-3 Dunkin Donuts instead. And a CVS.

I've always noticed that people stay to the right on escalators in Boston. Even the people who break the mold and stand in the middle or on the left tend to move to the right when someone comes up behind them. It's sort of like driving where many people will sit in the left lanes of the higway (except for some reason on the SE expressway) until someone comes up behind them and then they move (again, usually).

We must commute in entirely different circles, because I so rarely encounter uniform adherence to this unspoken rule here in Boston. To be fair, though, I have seen it more frequently when I've exited from the commuter rail platform at Back Bay during the morning rush, but I still encounter the occasional escalator slug whose passive-aggression and/or cluelessness causes everyone else to yield to her (or him).

In London there are signs everywhere telling people to stand to the right and in NYC, people will literally yell at you if you disregard the rule.

We must commute in entirely different circles, because I so rarely encounter uniform adherence to this unspoken rule here in Boston. To be fair, though, I have seen it more frequently when I've exited from the commuter rail platform at Back Bay during the morning rush, but I still encounter the occasional escalator slug whose passive-aggression and/or cluelessness causes everyone else to yield to her (or him).

In London there are signs everywhere telling people to stand to the right and in NYC, people will literally yell at you if you disregard the rule.

Your experiences are probably more of the norm considering that I go to college in Maine and grew up on the Southcoast (Assonet). I'm in town about once every two weeks, so I only experience a small fraction of what most of the members here experience.

I would expect that you notice it more at places where suburbanites and tourists frequent more often (like Back Bay Station)? I have had to pull my girlfriend over to the right side by her jacket (she's from Scarborough, Maine) plenty of times when we're in the city; most recently when getting off of the orange line at Back Bay actually, but she's starting to get it.

I have seen people yell in New York, Baltimore (I was surprised too) and Madrid (I assumed that's what they were yelling about) about escalator courtesy. I haven't yet seen someone yell in Boston, but I saw someone push someone at the Harvard Sq. stop a few weeks ago and just walk on by while the shocked tourist (they were obviously a tourist) just stared with a blank look on her face. I guess I just haven't experienced enough commutes in the city to see enough of this.

aeb443bac4_render_03062008.jpg

i cracked up laughing at that post ^.

I hate the lack of sonic.

I particularly dislike hooliganism in the name of the Red Sox or St Patrick.

The architecture at the intersection of Summer St. and Chauncy/Arch St. It should be named "The Four Corners of Hell".

The old Jordan Marsh annex (now Macy's) doesn't seem that bad to me.

I have to look at the Summer St. side of it every day. It is like a beached oil tanker.

I also hate Brighton Nimbys. They have a world class institution looking to expand to their suburban industrial wasteland, and they oppose every bit of it. They have BC looking to house more students on campus, and they oppose every bit of it.

Brighton is Southie culture's westernmost outpost (somewhat mitigated by students and various immigrant pops). You have to drive through it to get between Cambridge and Newton, painfully reminding everyone in those two cities that they're in Boston and not some kind of urban Vermont.

It's strange, before I came to this board I was totally unaware of Brighton's "true colors." I'd always felt the students and immigrants entirely mitigated the influence of "Southie culture" in Brighton. I mean...there's always Mary Ann's in Cleveland Circle, but...

Pardon me do you have any Grey Poupon?

No sir, not in Brighton.

Historically, Brighton was a meat-packing district. More recently, it's been the only neighborhood within Boston city limits with a substantial Jewish population. Many of these are recent Russian immigrants.

I hate that I'll never be able to afford to live there.

^^ Sure you can. You just need to lower your standard of living. A lot.

That the "What I hate" thread has nearly double the responses of the "What I love" thread.

Back