What would you do to get the T out of its financial mess?

I like the idea of increasing assessments and the base of towns that are assessed and/or assessing them in a fairer way. Municipalities have a lot more clout with the state in terms of getting aid, so it would be an indirect way of getting more state funding

I remain convinced that commuter rail operations and the communities that they serve need to be spun out of the MBTA. The T as it stands is too big for one agency to handle. If you remove Commuter Rail and its associated mega projects and debt: Greenbush, South Coast, Fitchburg Rebuild, Worcester, etc. and you remove all of that infrastructure from the T maintenance rolls, you have a much leaner, adaptable agency. If the MBTA was busses and subways in the existing system from basically Hingham to Salem they would probably be OK. In fact, the only big project they have is GLX.
Then, you combine MassDOT owned freight rails with the statewide rail passenger system (commuter rail) and you have a much, much better idea of how much is REALLY costs to run the system and you build the commuter rail contract around that number. All of the towns that currently pay assessments for Commuter Rail only service would, instead pay that assessment to the rail system and the assessments to offset the number. Towns with MBTA bus and subway pay to MBTA. Then the Statewide Rail Agency would be charged to develop freight service as much as practicable to more fully utilize the state owned rails and use freight revenue to offset infrastructure cost.
This idea of extending the Commuter Rail to Springfield is ridiculous in the existing structure. So Palmer would pay an MBTA assessment into the MBTA pit of despair? No way. Separate out rail and create something better with full cost accounting.

Why stop there? The second you try to run Statewide Rail Agency trains over the border (which is important for Providence Line, Boston - Newport if that ever gets off the ground, NH rail service into/out of North Station...) you hit problems, since it's a statewide agency.

Give Amtrak back our Commuter Rail operations - or at least, any line that crosses state boundaries.

Why stop there? The second you try to run Statewide Rail Agency trains over the border (which is important for Providence Line, Boston - Newport if that ever gets off the ground, NH rail service into/out of North Station...) you hit problems, since it's a statewide agency.

Give Amtrak back our Commuter Rail operations - or at least, any line that crosses state boundaries.
Note that when Amtrak ran the Commuter Rail, it was not doing so as Amtrak, but as a contracted operator to the MBTA...

Plenty of precedent for states paying out-of-state agencies to run services into their states (including the whole RIDOT-MBTA relationship, and also the CDOT-Metro-North, SEPTA-DelDOT, etc.), so that's not really a problem I think. If NH ever wants commuter rail, they just need to know where to send the checks.

I remain convinced that commuter rail operations and the communities that they serve need to be spun out of the MBTA. The T as it stands is too big for one agency to handle. If you remove Commuter Rail and its associated mega projects and debt: Greenbush, South Coast, Fitchburg Rebuild, Worcester, etc. and you remove all of that infrastructure from the T maintenance rolls, you have a much leaner, adaptable agency. If the MBTA was busses and subways in the existing system from basically Hingham to Salem they would probably be OK. In fact, the only big project they have is GLX.
Then, you combine MassDOT owned freight rails with the statewide rail passenger system (commuter rail) and you have a much, much better idea of how much is REALLY costs to run the system and you build the commuter rail contract around that number. All of the towns that currently pay assessments for Commuter Rail only service would, instead pay that assessment to the rail system and the assessments to offset the number. Towns with MBTA bus and subway pay to MBTA. Then the Statewide Rail Agency would be charged to develop freight service as much as practicable to more fully utilize the state owned rails and use freight revenue to offset infrastructure cost.
This idea of extending the Commuter Rail to Springfield is ridiculous in the existing structure. So Palmer would pay an MBTA assessment into the MBTA pit of despair? No way. Separate out rail and create something better with full cost accounting.

That's been floated elsewhere. Extreme dissatisfaction with the way SEPTA has run its metro-Philly commuter rail and misunderstood RR ops in general has netted proposal after proposal to shear off the commuter rail into a state-level "PA Rail" agency. But it's never gone anywhere because the administrative hurdles are massive. You'd be facing the same problems here. Unfortunately we don't have a setup like CalTrain or MetroLink where the CR agency has always been wholly separate from the metro rapid transit and bus districts.

Clearly, though, this private operator thing has to go...and the fiefdoms that keep rigging the system for politically-connected profiteers like MBCR need to get busted up. We are far and away the largest and highest-ridership system to not be run in-house, and that's an extra layer of waste and non-transparency we don't need here. Once the system achieves a certain scale the only reason to contract out is when the highest-ridership lines run on "foreign" trackage and dispatching...which is why Amtrak and CSX split up ops for MARC in Maryland, and Amtrak runs Metrolink in LA (CalTrain is the only other with >20,000 annual ridership to contract out to a non- track owner, and they're still 4x smaller than our CR).

I also think all of the RR ROW ownership in the state outside of ROW's shared with the rapid transit system needs to revert to the EOT and be taken out of the T's hands so all planning gets centralized and better weighs the freight and intercity stakeholders before making decisions. Let them own the stations and layover yards that directly support the commuter rail, but the ROW's themselves are a statewide resource usable by multiple common carriers. Take it out of their hands. The T has long been freight-ignorant and system preservation-ignorant, only really taking those things into account when it's something like the CSX/Worcester deal (where they'd well exceeded their pain threshold with freight interference on the Worcester Line) and stimulus funding like the Downeaster and Pan Am improvements on the Haverhill and Fitchburg Lines, where the letter of the funding grants and fed oversight kept them on their best behavior. They've been lackadaisical at best elsewhere...chasing most freight off the Eastern Route, Fitchburg Line, and Reading Line by blocking clearance routes, and potentially maiming Pan Am's freight access in Somerville with the GLX carhouse design. They've let every single freight-only line they own go abandoned except for (increasingly busy) Peabody, Medfield-Millis (which may be next), and East Boston (about to be reactivated by Pan Am). And they've had a rocky working relationship with Amtrak over Downeaster and Lake Shore Limited delays, NEC dispatching around slow Providence trains, South Station expansion, and equipment reliability before Amtrak passed on another term as CR operator (with one finger in the air).

They've doled out trail leases on every single one of their abandoned lines except for Stoughton (precious South Coast FAIL) and Readville-Dedham (no takers yet, but they've been putting out feelers). They've given out easements to build houses on an entire block of the West Roxbury-Dedham ROW formerly reserved for the Orange Line--salting it over forever--and looked the other way while the Blue Line extension ROW got encroached by private developers in Point of Pines. In the last 2-1/2 years alone they've approved $1/99-year trail leases for Newburyport and Salisbury on the Eastern Route (compromises future Portsmouth service to single track), Needham-Newton (Green Line extension ROW), Needham-Medfield (former Millis commuter rail), Peabody-Danvers (1 of the 2 Peabody CR options), Danvers-Wakefield (only extant Eastern Route-Western Route connecting track), Lawrence-Methuen (former Methuen/Route 213 commuter rail proposal), Central Mass (studied CR proposal). And a few of those--Needham-Medfield, Danvers-Wakefield, Lawrence-Methuen--are such shoddy trail designs DCR's going to take a bath bailing out the in-over-their-heads or borderline disreputable volunteer trail lobbies on maintenance.

All of that runs contrary to the state's own finalized Freight and Rail Plan, which codifies the multi-stakeholder interests and emphasizes system preservation and careful planning for best transportation use (rail or bipedal) for every corridor. And then shit like South Coast FAIL that threatens the stability of all stakeholders everywhere with its bottomless resource drain. This outfit isn't competent to manage or maximize its corridors. At least outside of 128...a little focus and they could be making better strides on the bus and rapid transit systems. But they've bollixed things up pouring money down a pit in the 'burbs and being a passive-aggressive accessory to the decline of freight inside of 495 that there's clearly a lot of longstanding dysfunction to correct in the "expansion" towns in the district and places where they overlap with other regional transit agencies and non-Boston MPO's. It's time to put that in the state's hands. Their focus has gotten way too diluted and way too political trying to manage it all.

Note that when Amtrak ran the Commuter Rail, it was not doing so as Amtrak, but as a contracted operator to the MBTA...

Plenty of precedent for states paying out-of-state agencies to run services into their states (including the whole RIDOT-MBTA relationship, and also the CDOT-Metro-North, SEPTA-DelDOT, etc.), so that's not really a problem I think. If NH ever wants commuter rail, they just need to know where to send the checks.

Right, I'm saying give them the Commuter Rail to run... as Amtrak. As in, sell them the rolling stock and every last inch of T/MBCR-owned ROW. Even better, have Amtrak seize control of it by force if the existing agencies show no signs of cooperating.

That's what I feel needs to happen.

Right, I'm saying give them the Commuter Rail to run... as Amtrak. As in, sell them the rolling stock and every last inch of T/MBCR-owned ROW. Even better, have Amtrak seize control of it by force if the existing agencies show no signs of cooperating.

That's what I feel needs to happen.
As far as I know, Amtrak can not operate commuter service as Amtrak.

I don't understand why you would do this anyway.

As far as I know, Amtrak can not operate commuter service as Amtrak.

I don't understand why you would do this anyway.

I don't see why they couldn't operate it as Amtrak, strictly speaking.

As for why we'd do that, inter-agency conflicts kill. Handing control of the MBTA/MBCR commuter rail assets over to Amtrak is the first step in bringing everyone under the same chain of command as the National Passenger Railroad Corporation.

I don't see why they couldn't operate it as Amtrak, strictly speaking.

As for why we'd do that, inter-agency conflicts kill. Handing control of the MBTA/MBCR commuter rail assets over to Amtrak is the first step in bringing everyone under the same chain of command as the National Passenger Railroad Corporation.

They can't. Amtrak is explicitly prohibited in its charter from owning any commuter rail service. And it was explicitly granted a monopoly on any intercity service (active or dormant) conferred to it from all the private predecessor railroads it relieved of duty. There's absolutely no give with the CR provision because of the bailout conditions at Amtrak's formation. All of the private RR's were losing their shirts in 1971 on intercity, but there were still a small handful of mildly profitable commuter routes back then worth protecting. The intercity provision has been relaxed a bit to encourage development of state-sponsored routes, so even though Amtrak has dormant perpetual rights to the NECR mainline New London-Palmer (ex-Montrealer route '89-95) and the P&W mainline New London-Worcester (ex- New Haven-Worcester shuttle conferred to it upon formation in '71 but cut before Day 1) there's nothing stopping any New England states from setting up homegrown regional service. Changing any of this requires Congress changing Amtrak's charter from the ground up. And I don't think that's a Pandora's Box anyone wants to open with the number of near-death experiences Amtrak's had in front of Congress. The states' rights arguments would be prohibitively difficult to get any sort of majority consensus on.

About the most that rule has ever been bent is with the Springfield Shuttle SPR-NHV, which gets around it by being a double-up with Springfield Regionals and being schedule-coordinated at New Haven with Regionals transfers. Even some old routes like the Philly-NYC "Clocker" that lasted until 2005 and the very short-lived New Haven-Boston "Bay State" in the mid-70's do qualify as true intercity.

It has long been in the contracting business for running commuter rails. But strictly in the MBCR sense as an ops mercenary. They don't own any equipment from their subcontractors, don't import any of their own front-line staff, and don't own any track or infrastructure that isn't used for or directly supporting intercity routes (and actually, only have about 100 miles of total track ownership in any region outside of the NEC + its 3 primary branches.

I swear I've seen Shore Line East trains pulled by Amtrak diesel locos, though.

Am I imagining things / going crazy, or what's up with that?

I swear I've seen Shore Line East trains pulled by Amtrak diesel locos, though.

Am I imagining things / going crazy, or what's up with that?

This:

220px-Amtrak_P40DC_840.jpg

Amtrak leased several of its surplus locos to CTDOT when it expanded SLE service. State eventually bought them outright and has since stickered over the Amtrak logos (although I don't think they've been repainted). So no, that wasn't an equipment share; it was like the T's three MARC rent-a-beaters.

Nothing prevents Amtrak (or vice versa) from pinch-hitting their equipment in an emergency or disablement, but they aren't allowed to pool their equipment with commuter rail fleets. Only sell or lease.

Chapter 9 is not permitted unless authorized by state law. Federal law trumps state law if it says it trumps state law. In this case federal law does not trump state law because it does not attempt to. Chapter 9 requires a specific authorization from a state's legislature. The authorization must reference Chapter 9 specifically. In Massachusetts no such authorization exists.

Just read that the toll to go over the George Washington Bridge in NY/NJ is $13.00 if you're paying cash.

Wow.

Only complaint I have is that they give you a huge discount (more than 30%) if you're driving a "green" car.

Cars cause congestion, regardless of power; they should pay the same as any other driver.

Oh good, been wondering when they'd up the tolls a bit. It's $10.25 EZ-pass peak and $8.25 off-peak, which is what most of the commuters will pay. The toll for the bridge isn't really a "congestion charge", it's just been forced into playing that role partly because of Albany's meddling. The "green" car discount is probably a bonus for reducing air pollution from smog. I don't know, it'll probably have to go away eventually.

CoachUSA upped their fares by about the same percentage earlier this year and they serve a lot of commuters that may otherwise use the GW Bridge.

In related news, I like this:

http://www.northjersey.com/news/181690571.html
The toll hikes taking effect Sunday on the Port Authority’s Hudson River crossings are unlikely to be embraced by many motorists, but they are especially unwelcome by truckers, who will see the most dramatic increases.

“It’s out of control. I’ll never cross the George Washington Bridge again in my entire life,” said David Irwin, a Michigan-based driver who must now pay $75, up from $65, to drive his five-axle truck across the one-mile span. Only five years ago, the cash toll for his truck was $30. Further increases already approved will push it to $105 by late 2015.

What a whiner. It's about time they started charging more for these heavy 5-axle trucks which do so much damage to the road and the bridge. The economics of trucking needs to change away from the rampant freeloading model to a more responsible accounting of costs. This is a start.

I remain convinced that commuter rail operations and the communities that they serve need to be spun out of the MBTA. The T as it stands is too big for one agency to handle. If you remove Commuter Rail and its associated mega projects and debt: Greenbush, South Coast, Fitchburg Rebuild, Worcester, etc. and you remove all of that infrastructure from the T maintenance rolls, you have a much leaner, adaptable agency.

http://www.mbcr.net/

Voila. It has it's own Board of Drectors and all. The answers to your prayers were answered years ago.

Management team of MBCR:
http://www.mbcr.net/Our_management_Team.html

Voila. It has it's own Board of Drectors and all. The answers to your prayers were answered years ago.

Management team of MBCR:
MBCR is a private company that operates the commuter rail on contract to the MBTA, who remains in charge of everything. (And MBCR plays no role in things like planning expansions and the like) Not exactly what Semass was talking about, I think...

I do wonder if as we start thinking about passenger service like Greenfield-Springfield, Springfield-Worcester, and such, if it would be worthwhile to create a statewide rail authority and have a more compact MBTA left to focus solely on the closer-in Boston area.

I like the fare integration (incomplete though it may be) between the commuter rail and the subway-streetcar-bus systems. A commuter rail pass is good on the rest of the T. That might not be the case if you had two separate organizations running them, as in Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, etc.

In both New Jersey and Rhode Island, a single transit authority covers the entire state.

How expensive would it be to get the rest of Mass on the T's fare system?

Management team of MBCR:

MBCR just runs trains. They don't do capital planning, construction or finance. What I propose is a statewide transit agency with authority over all rail. Leave the buses and subways with the T but take out commuter rail. The agency should have all of the commuter rail expansion projects and debt separate from MBTA. The T and MassDOT get too caught up in CR projects to the detriment of core services. I believe that the T needs to focus on the bus and rapid transit network and making repairs and upgrades. The new agency would manage all of the tracks that are now in the DOT inventory, manage the CR operations contract, develop freight business, manage the many CR expansion projects, the South Station expansion, interface with Amtrak, Eventually do the Connecticut River line services and make Boston-Springfield rail happen. Even Boston-Concord NH service.

Commuter rail finance needs to be disconnected from MBTA finance. Much of the debt that is dragging on the T is Greenbush and other CR stuff. Move it all out and into a discrete business unit that one can work on and manage. All of the assessments from CR only communities should be directed here as well as ticket revenue and freight revenue. Looking at rail as a single entity with limited revenues may bring some sanity back to the capital planning process.

Without all of the many CR projects, the T might be able to better compete for Green Line extension dollars and other state of good repair funds.

Back